Miami defeats Bears 36 years ago today. Ending their chance at undefeated. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami defeats Bears 36 years ago today. Ending their chance at undefeated.

I know that Bears team gets that accolade a lot but I really think the ‘84 49ers were better. At 15-1 (they also lost to the loser of the AFC championship game for their 1 loss - in OT) were better. They had passing, running, great o-line, Joe Montana and a sick defense with that nasty line + Keena Turner and the 4 studs in the secondary. I didn’t think they had a weakness where the ‘85 Bears had a couple. One we exposed but it took a QB w a great release to beat that rush and the second was their passing game. It really wasn’t anything special. Heaven help them if you could get a lead on that team. But alas, they were so good no one could really do it.
They were pretty damn good…after all, they beat the ‘84 Dolphins in the SB.

McMahon came in the game later only to be abused, sacked and turned over. We were a terrible match up for them.

Their D wouldn’t be able to stop our offense, ever. And their strength - Walter Payton and ball control - even on a good day - would have played into our hands as at best case they could win TOP at expense of a low scoring output. Like when we held the ball for 50 minutes against Peyton Manning and still lost 21-17. Marino and our passing game couldn’t be neutralized by that D. Great line couldn’t get to Dan. CBs were old and slow. Allie Sherman completely called it on the pre game Monday Night Matchup show - he didn’t just predict Miami would win, he told us “how” and it played out to a T. I really believe we beat them in the SB.
What a lot of people tend to forget is how far ahead of its time that Miami passing game was.

Chicago's great defense was designed to stop the run first, force teams to pass, and then send everyone. Marino's quick decisions and release were too much for the Bears. Nat Moore, in particular, was open virtually every play. How would Chicago have adjusted? Like you noted, by trying to pound the rock with Payton and limit the Dolphins offensive plays. Would have loved to have seen a rematch in the super bowl.

Even the great Bill Walsh figured out that you couldn't beat Marino and the Dolphins with a conventional approach, bringing in as many as seven defensive backs in the super bowl. I believe he did that in the second quarter when Miami was up 10-7 and Marino was absolutely destroying the 49ers. That SF team was loaded with all-pros on that D, but had to go in a completely different direction to slow the Dolphins down and, ultimately turn the game in their favor.

What a lot of people tend to forget is how far ahead of its time that Miami passing game was.

Chicago's great defense was designed to stop the run first, force teams to pass, and then send everyone. Marino's quick decisions and release were too much for the Bears. Nat Moore, in particular, was open virtually every play. How would Chicago have adjusted? Like you noted, by trying to pound the rock with Payton and limit the Dolphins offensive plays. Would have loved to have seen a rematch in the super bowl.

Even the great Bill Walsh figured out that you couldn't beat Marino and the Dolphins with a conventional approach, bringing in as many as seven defensive backs in the super bowl. I believe he did that in the second quarter when Miami was up 10-7 and Marino was absolutely destroying the 49ers. That SF team was loaded with all-pros on that D, but had to go in a completely different direction to slow the Dolphins down and, ultimately turn the game in their favor.
You are spot on. Walsh did go 7 DBs, 3 DL and Keena Turner as a hybrid spy who sometimes rushed and sometimes dropped into coverage. As you mentioned, whatever game plan he had going in, he quickly scrapped at 10-7 and no sign of stopping our offense.

Back
Top Bottom