Miami Dolphins 2018 Roster Versus Now | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins 2018 Roster Versus Now

Chris Grier deconstructed his mediocre team and built a mediocre team in its place. The only difference was we wasted 3 off-seasons to get back to where we were in 2018.

If you continue to let mediocre people run your team you will continue to get mediocre results. Ross is a mad man if he lets Grier touch any picks or cap space this off-season.

If that is your criteria, Ross is a mad man

Both teams look poor and lack key components - strong QB play, protection and help for the QB, strong pass rush, shutdown corner is close with X. Main thing missing from this program is a culture and leaders. What is the identity of our team? some teams are wide open and outscore you, others feature a rugged punishing defense that shortens the field for the offense and creates turnovers and opportunities. We don’t have an identity or leadership leading on or off ths field. We struggle in the 7-9/8-8 range, our drafts miss on a ton of players, we trade up for guys like Rosen and Waddle wasting picks, and we have guys hurt all the time. First step would be to can the GM and scouting dept - in fairness scouts might be making the right calls but the GM does his own thing.

At the start of this season you would be hard pressed to find one single person who would say "yeah this 2021 roster is much worse than 2018 roster" arguing that fact now is like arguing you wouldn't have lost your leg in the car crash if you had bought a different car, either way the old car needed to replaced
said it from the beginning....it was always a long con grier put on ross to keep his job safe as long as he could since he couldnt pass the buck anymore.....other teams go from bad to good in a couple to few years.......grier was always gonna make sure it looked like it was gonna be a long process.....hence the teardown
Couldn’t be more spot on. Grier has to be the best salesman on the planet to sell that crap to old buffoon but he pulled it off

The “trust the process” talk and rebuilding talk is just snake oil to sell to fan bases and dumb owners. It’s NFL football, find and develop a top QB at all costs and any coaching staff starts looking smart and average rosters start looking good. The wins follow.

That’s what happens when the ppl put in place have no clue. Like Iv said before, anyone on finheaven could’ve done a better job putting this team together in the last 3 years with all those resources
I guarantee you, if we could somehow democraticly make the FA signings and draft picks via Finheaven we would be a much better team.

I might be crazy but I really believe this.

I agree with the premise of this post. The team was better in 2018 but it's close. We're not screwed yet but we are well on our way. Flo has to look himself in the mirror and admit that some of his moves were wrong. The stripping the team of all of their veteran leaders was an odd choice. Flo has to watch his ego. It's the reason he has trouble putting a good staff together, that and his lack of loyalty. The OC and Van Noy left the Pats to follow Flo to the Dolphins. Flo fires both of them after one season. I thought both guys did a good job but Flo wanted them out, why??, really. The trading deadline is 2 weeks away and he has to admit that he doesn't have the horses because a bunch of personnel moves were wrong decisions.

Nobody wanted Fitz after last season. We didn't want to stunt Tua's growth. How'd that work out?? I didn't want Fitz either. It was the wrong decision because like it or not we miss him now and for the last month. Fitz moved this offense with this line but he wasn't the QB of the future and blah, blah. We would be a far better team with Fitz and Gailey than we are now. I'm concerned a lot of what Flo is doing is trying to play his guys that he drafted so he doesn't look too stupid!! How's that working out??

Chris Grier deconstructed his mediocre team and built a mediocre team in its place. The only difference was we wasted 3 off-seasons to get back to where we were in 2018.

If you continue to let mediocre people run your team you will continue to get mediocre results. Ross is a mad man if he lets Grier touch any picks or cap space this off-season.
Yup. But ross should have never given him the job in the first place with that track record! Also think Flores is part of the problem with personnel as well, he has alot of influence

Reactions: BSQ
Looks good on paper BUT...........

James was a liability and never lived up to his 1st round status, traded and is now out of the league.
Ted Larsen was always injured.
Jessie Davis according to this logic still sucks.
Still < Waddle
Amendola = to anyone else lining up now
O'Leary < Gesicki when he is used correctly
Old Gore < Gaskins

McMillian isn't even in the league anymore.
Alonso was a liability and never made a tackle closer than 5 yards downfield
Godchaux < Wilkins
Wake in 18 < Ogbah now

I am sorry but that roster talent wise was not as good as this one. Did they perform better, yes but arguing you'd rather have that roster and pretending it didn't need to be turned over completely is just stupid.
McMillian plays for the pats

Looks good on paper BUT...........

James was a liability and never lived up to his 1st round status, traded and is now out of the league.
Ted Larsen was always injured.
Jessie Davis according to this logic still sucks.
Still < Waddle
Amendola = to anyone else lining up now
O'Leary < Gesicki when he is used correctly
Old Gore < Gaskins

McMillian isn't even in the league anymore.
Alonso was a liability and never made a tackle closer than 5 yards downfield
Godchaux < Wilkins
Wake in 18 < Ogbah now

I am sorry but that roster talent wise was not as good as this one. Did they perform better, yes but arguing you'd rather have that roster and pretending it didn't need to be turned over completely is just stupid.
I agree.

Obviously, would be nice if Tua, Jackson and Iggy were killng it. I still think Tua will be good and he's really the key to this rebuild.

This draft class has a lot of potential with Waddle, Phillips, Holland and Eichenberg.

There's a lot of young talent, but a lot of questions.

This is interesting. Another bad owner, another dumb org structure.

“Per Davis, general manager Mike Mayock will retain his title going forward but will now have 51% of the decision-making power on personnel moves, with Bisaccia at 49%. Before, it was Gruden 51%, Mayock 49%”

If you have 51, in theory you have 100, because what you say goes. But when you set it up this way, the guy with the 49 believes he has a strong voice and needs to be accommodated, which is what happens. The net result is no single strong decision maker, and just a big mess. Raiders drafting under these guys has been terrible.

There is probably a similar stupid structure for the Dolphins. Grier at 51 and Flores at 49. But reality could be Ross weighs in on a bunch of stuff and co-opts certain decisions, and Flores dominates others. It is a big mess. Bad talent evaluators augmented by a bad org structure. Which is Ross’s fault.

Back to the 2018 roster. They also had Kenyan Drake, and Mike Gesicki.

In total this means the two biggest morons that are now out of the NFL, Gase and Tannenbaum, actually were better at assembling a roster than Grier and Flores are. This defies the laws of physics, would not think it was possible to be worse than Gase and Tannebaum!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...s-wake-jon-gruden-resignation-nfl-all-answers

Yep. I was a believer also. I have come realize this is a poorly constructed team. Sub par players up and down the roster. These guys get paid alot to evaluate talent and they got it wrong in a multitude of areas. Throw in very bad misses on first round talent and here you go. If you feel the talent is there then the obvious answer is the coaches and management
Talent is not there. Both are a problem!

I love this original post because the original poster is a true fan. I can’t disagree at all

That the new coach feels the need to churn the entire roster of the prior coach in order to put a winning team on the field implies we have the wrong coach.
Quote Don Shula could beat his team with the opposing teams roster was the old saying when he was coaching.
Flores did give me hope these past 2 years when he overachieved which implied to me at least he was coaching up some inferior talent.
This year I am not seeing that.
It's appearing he may be a one trick pony as a coach with some defensive coach skills but overall lacking.

I thought Flores got more out of lesser talent his first two years with coaching.

This season has been the opposite so far. He gets the rest of the season to see what they can turn around and get out of Tua.

Back
Top Bottom