Miami Dolphins 2019 Undrafted Free Agent Class | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins 2019 Undrafted Free Agent Class

so if you want content on something you seem interested in, there you go.

I thought I was asking for opinions of the 16 specific players listed... since they were all together in one article AND since it is looking like, but not decided, that these 16 were headed our way... anyway... no biggie have a great day

It's so damn stupid to not announce the signings. My God, what in the hell are they waiting for??!! Every other team in the league has announced theirs.
It's the off season. No need to get worked up on something so trivial.

He needs to get dramatically better in run blocking to work in this offense, IMHO. I see him competing for a Practice Squad spot, then if we get ravaged by injuries, seeing playing time that way.

Maybe. Pass blocking is where I'd put my emphasis, and Miami doesn't exactly have a good lineman outside of Tunsil. Calhoun obv has work to do - going undrafted and all - but I think he has a chance.

Maybe. Pass blocking is where I'd put my emphasis, and Miami doesn't exactly have a good lineman outside of Tunsil. Calhoun obv has work to do - going undrafted and all - but I think he has a chance.

I agree. While he has to do the work himself to improve, I do think that if we are moving to more of a power blocking scheme (which I don’t believe has been specifically said, but looking at the background of the new coaches it would make sense) it fits more to his strengths as a blocker and at least gives him a chance to show something. I’d be ecstatic if it worked out for Asiata here, but if it doesn’t it just means a late round pick didn’t pan out. I’m not going to lose too much sleep over it.

You make a good point. And, I realize you already know everything I'm about to say, but the secret sauce of this offense is its effectiveness as a run blocking unit against defenses stacked against the pass. For the offense to keep defenses out of those packages, we need to ensure we can run when we want to run. This is why we're seeing such an emphasis on the run game with drafting dominant run blockers (Deiter and Prince) as well as a true FB (Cox) and a RB (Gaskins).

Calhoun is being given a chance because of his excellent pass protection, and I suspect he'll at least make the Practice Squad because of that, possibly the full roster. But, his run blocking needs to improve, otherwise things start to break down. Each system synergizes with each other system in this offense, it has a very high level of interdependence between systems. The OL is built to be good at everything, not great at any one thing. They punish teams that don't stop the run, forcing them out of their preferred pass defense packages.

Without those packages, the QB driven system picks them apart. The OL rarely needs to hold pass blocks for that long, because this system is built to present the QB lots of quick options and get the ball out of his hands quickly. So, it reduces our need for great OL, provides a ball-control passing offense that I like to refer to as "Death By a Thousand Cuts" that wears out the defense almost as well as a dominant run game. But, if we can't establish a running game against their preferred pass defense packages, they can sit back and stifle us … and the whole thing unravels.

So I'm all for Calhoun being kept and developed. He is one of those raw gems we should be using to develop in a season when we know we're not going to be very competitive anyway. But, unless that run blocking improves significantly, he'll remain a reserve and a project. Just my $0.02 for him. I do agree with you, he does definitely have a chance.

Why have all the other teams released their list of signings and not Miami. What makes the Dolphins so special that they don't release anything??!1

Wanted to address this ridiculous comment again.

1. Miami was NOT the last team to announce the signing of UDFAs. Quite a few teams have waited to make announcements. For example, the Houston Texans this morning.

2. Please do not flat out lie and/or spread misinformation about something because you want it to validate your impatience.

I read something interesting on Wake Forest Center Ryan Anderson, where it says, he's the top pass protector at his position. He ranks very high in pass protection. This could bode well for him if he stands a chance of making the team. Miami's new Offensive Line Coach may have something to work with here?

Mark Walton RB, Unsigned Free Agent

Free agent RB Mark Walton is participating in Dolphins rookie minicamp.
Walton is practicing with his hometown Fins on a tryout basis. The University of Miami alum flamed out with the Bengals, who drafted him 112th overall in 2018, following a string of off-field incidents. Miami's current running back depth chart consists of bell-cow Kenyan Drake, 2018 fourth-rounder Kalen Ballage and AAF alum Kenneth Farrow.

Back
Top Bottom