Miami Dolphins 2020 training camp preview: Safeties | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins 2020 training camp preview: Safeties

The whole McCain at free safety was weird from the start. I guess they said he is the best communicator in the back end. That is the only strength I see from him in the safety position. His body just isn’t big enough for safety.

But why wouldn’t they just put Mikah back there last year? They went with McCain over Mikah. I don’t think I will ever understand that. I understand why they traded mikah. The relationship went down hill. But why would you pick Bobby Mcain as your free safety over the number 11 pick overall last year. Anybody have any idea why they did that?
This. Flores has done so much right with our secondary that it's hard for me to question his knowledge in this area. But I simply cannot find a way to defend this move. I don't know if playing out of position was the sole reason he requested the trade though. I would have wanted out of Miami myself simply after being utterly embarrassed by Baltimore. We looked like a JV team that needed a mercy rule. But it is true that Minkah, Byron, and Xavien would be giving opposing QB's nightmares going into next season.

Though you always have to take into account the Butterfly Effect. Had we kept a player as talented as Minkah, I think it's fair to assume we win one more game. At the very least, his presence would have definitely put us in danger of having that happen. That means no Tua.

So in the end, would you want Minkah and Herbert, or Jackson and Tua. I know what I choose 10 times out of 10.

I'm not someone that believes things happens for a reason. But I do believe **** happens and you makes the best of it. I think we did that. So no need crying over spilled milk. We got our franchise QB and a promising OT prospect.

I loved Minkah as a player, but I've more than moved on. After looking at the big picture, I'm glad everything went down the way it did.

Last edited:
I think they might have trouble keeping Steven Parker off the field. At 6'1" and 210, the former Oklahoma Sooner, played good ball for us down the stretch. He even made the game clinching pick against Tom Brady to clinch the game late in the 4th quarter that cost the Pats home field. I rewatched that game recently and Parker flashed a few times. I think our defense is going to be very fast, very nasty and pretty damn good.

I think they might have trouble keeping Steven Parker off the field. At 6'1" and 210, the former Oklahoma Sooner, played good ball for us down the stretch. He even made the game clinching pick against Tom Brady to clinch the game late in the 4th quarter that cost the Pats home field. I rewatched that game recently and Parker flashed a few times. I think our defense is going to be very fast, very nasty and pretty damn good.
I believe Parker even graded out well near the end of the season. According to PFF anyway, take it with a grain of salt. He also had that interception against the colts he stripped away in the end zone. Maybe he’s improved after more time time with the playbook, and guidance under Boyer.

I believe Parker even graded out well near the end of the season. According to PFF anyway, take it with a grain of salt. He also had that interception against the colts he stripped away in the end zone. Maybe he’s improved after more time time with the playbook, and guidance under Boyer.
That was a spectacular play. I just saw that replay again a few days ago. Even the announcers were calling TD, and were a bit dumbfounded when he came away with the ball.

That was a spectacular play. I just saw that replay again a few days ago. Even the announcers were calling TD, and were a bit dumbfounded when he came away with the ball.
Yeah, to this day Colts fans still say it was a TD. They took away two TDs from Preston Williams for not maintaining ball control all the way to the ground. But if you watch from that one angle, he never got the second foot down before Parker jabbed it loose. Was a good call in my opinion taking into consideration what they did to Williams twice. Least they were consistent lol

The whole McCain at free safety was weird from the start. I guess they said he is the best communicator in the back end. That is the only strength I see from him in the safety position. His body just isn’t big enough for safety.

But why wouldn’t they just put Mikah back there last year? They went with McCain over Mikah. I don’t think I will ever understand that. I understand why they traded mikah. The relationship went down hill. But why would you pick Bobby Mcain as your free safety over the number 11 pick overall last year. Anybody have any idea why they did that?

Based on Bane's comment and the following, all I could think of is Minkah pissed off Grier and Grier got unhinged.

November 20, 2019: Miami Dolphins placed DB Bobby McCain on IR.

June 1, 2018: Miami Dolphins signed CB Bobby McCain to a four-year, $27 million contract extension.

July 29, 2016: Miami Dolphins placed CB Bobby McCain on the physically unable to perform list.

May 9, 2015: Miami Dolphins signed CB Bobby McCain to a four-year contract.

jones,rowe,mccain [for better or worse] are prob locks for the roster

what interests me is the depth and who steps up and makes the roster , colbert i like and played last season and was resigned
, Frazier was signed from cowboys as a part time player and special teams guy ,
Fejedelem was signed to a 3year deal and was a special teams captain ,so expect him to make the roster
stephen parker played last year a bit and had a couple of int ,dont write him off

Weird thought, could Igbo play FS? Kid is an athlete and McCain back to the slot. Is there some kind of post-snap rotation with 5 dbs on the field and any one of 4 of them could be a safety? Probably not this year with the delayed camp.

Two thoughts
1. Where is Reshard Jones right now?
2. With the money and picks invested in CB, hopefully coverage safties will not be as important

Two thoughts
1. Where is Reshard Jones right now?
2. With the money and picks invested in CB, hopefully coverage safties will not be as important
My response would be, RJ is, and always was a "one trick pony". Granted, in his prime, it was a hell of a trick, but his prime was several years ago, and I think Flo values flexibility, and assignment sound players over a "flash" play here and there.

According to Bleacher report, Steven Parker is one of our biggest sleepers.

The Miami Dolphins underwent an exciting makeover this offseason, but the safety position looks wide-open entering training camp. Veteran Bobby McCain is likely the projected starter at free safety, but 24-year-old Steven Parker might have more upside than McCain or presumed backup Adrian Colbert following a surprisingly strong debut season.
The undrafted Oklahoma product spent his rookie campaign on the Rams' practice squad, but he made four starts for the shorthanded Dolphins in 2019 and intercepted a pair of passes in the second half of the year.
Parker excelled in coverage in limited playing time, and on tape he also stood out when helping against the run. He might not have superstar potential, but his versatility and playmaking ability should give him a chance to push McCain, who is probably better suited as a backup along with Colbert.

Back
Top Bottom