Miami Dolphins: 4 players that should be extended before training camp | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: 4 players that should be extended before training camp

My preference is...

1. Ogbah
  2. Baker
  3. Gesicki
  4. Fuller
Don't know how we could even judge Fuller at this point.

I'm not against an extension for the others. It really depends what they want, and how they perform this year.

I have no idea what is the inside story, but its very possible all three are counting on a big year, and looking to test the FA waters.

Restructure would be a “no brainer” for the player, not the team... Generally, that term is used because you moved money around. You’re thinking of a PAY CUT... I could see him rebounding and having a better year this year and his salary not being touched.

If Baker has another above average season, I see him getting $10-12mil/year on the market. I see Gesicki getting $10mil/year too if he has another season like last. Ogbah getting around $11-13mil if he repeats his performance.

I’m not an expert at all but IF they got those numbers I would let them all walk based on a repeat of last years stats.
Jones is the highest paid Dolphin and isn't worth that money. If he doesn't want to work with the team for cap relief he can moved after next year for a huge savings. You have ample draft capital for his replacement.

Don't know how we could even judge Fuller at this point.

I'm not against an extension for the others. It really depends what they want, and how they perform this year.

I have no idea what is the inside story, but its very possible all three are counting on a big year, and looking to test the FA waters.

Agree on Fuller.

I put Ogbah first; He IMO has done the most in his short tenure w/ the phins

the only reason I see to extend is if you do want them long term and and feel they are about to have a breakout season. Gesicki comes to mind, with the new WRs, he could definitely see thing open up and put up much bigger numbers.

Restructuring Jones is a no brainer. If he doesn't take a restructure he's gone after 2022.
I'm going to disagree with this take.

Let me explain...

When Jones signed, the contract made him the highest paid CB, but now... he is already down to 5th highest. And as time passes, and more contracts are signed, he'll fall farther and farther down this list. This is pretty much how it works when you sign a premium free agent. You overpay early and then the ascending salary cap wipes out that value.

His cap number is stable over the next three years and if his play continues to be solid... he may be here all three years. Oh, he'll never generate turnovers, but he is a sticky cover corner who you can put in single coverage (where he'll win most of the time).

Jalen Ramsey's cap numbers 2022 (23M), 2023 (25M), 2024 (27M).
Byron Jones 16M, 16M, 16M

We can easily afford this and unless one of the young guys outplays him, there's no reason to release him.

I'd like to extend Gesicki since I don't think he's reached his peak yet.

I think it would be a mistake to restructure Byron Jones' contract if you can help it. The restructuring of big contracts is how you get into cap hell down the road. But with the expanding salary cap, it might be okay. I'd rather keep him where he is and it lets you move on in a few years if he doesn't really play to his value. Restructuring him means you're screwed if you need to move on from him.

Baker, as noted, is a conundrum. I think he was very underwhelming his first couple of years. King of empty stats. Tackles after the opposing player was downfield. This last year production was nice and he had a semblance of a pass rush. I still think Baker is very replaceable though. So I wouldn't extend him now.

Ogbah was the best free agent from last year. I wouldn't mind keeping him if the price was decent. However, I believe the best way to create a sustainable team is not to overpay players and keep your production scheme dependent (where you can replace players to fit).

I'd also like to keep Fuller beyond this year because if and when healthy, he's an excellent weapon for this team. Of course, *if healthy* is the key question mark. I'd take a look at giving him a good sized contract with lower guaranteed money and more incentives.

Gesiki is the only one I’d extend right now. He won’t break the bank and we will have 60M+ in cap space next year. Gotta take care of your own.

I wouldn't Fuller's contract yet. He said he signed the one year deal to show everyone he can stay healthy. When I hear that it just makes me think he can't

Let me explain...

When Jones signed, the contract made him the highest paid CB, but now... he is already down to 5th highest. And as time passes, and more contracts are signed, he'll fall farther and farther down this list. This is pretty much how it works when you sign a premium free agent. You overpay early and then the ascending salary cap wipes out that value.

His cap number is stable over the next three years and if his play continues to be solid... he may be here all three years. Oh, he'll never generate turnovers, but he is a sticky cover corner who you can put in single coverage (where he'll win most of the time).

We can easily afford this and unless one of the young guys outplays him, there's no reason to release him.
Also, by restructuring, it would make it more costly should we decide to move on.

There really is no upside for the team to restructure.

Howard and Jones, both have opt outs coming up over the next several years, my guess is, they'll both be gone. If I'm not mistaken, Howard can opt out after 2022 and Jones the following year.

Let me explain...

Howard. You have Howard sitting there behind Jones who is clearly out playing Jones. Jones is not the 5th best CB in the league. He isn't playing top 5 football. He needs to be restructured and by the time 2022 ends he'll be 30, plus Howard should be top 3 in the league given his play.

You have a lot of young talent you need to sign moving forward, you can't keep it all and Jones isn't living up to his contract. There is no need to cut him this year or next but after 2022 something has to give, he either restructures or bye bye.

Also, by restructuring, it would make it more costly should we decide to move on.

There really is no upside for the team to restructure.
Exactly right...

The way his contract is written, it is mostly salary. 14.0, 14.37, 13.5, 12.4... the pro-rated signing bonus, is only 2.1/year. (there are some really small bonuses paid in the final years that bring the value back up to the 14M range)

This means, these are the salaries that the team sees, the bonus money is already spent. This is what Byron makes. 14M/year. He isn't going to take less because if we moved him, he'd get the same amount (or maybe more) from his next stop.

Those who scream 'restructure', just want to change his salary into bonus money, and the ONLY thing that does is to allow a team to spend tomorrow's money... today.

Howard. You have Howard sitting there behind Jones who is clearly out playing Jones. Jones is not the 5th best CB in the league. He isn't playing top 5 football. He needs to be restructured and by the time 2022 ends he'll be 30, plus Howard should be top 3 in the league given his play.

You have a lot of young talent you need to sign moving forward, you can't keep it all and Jones isn't living up to his contract. There is no need to cut him this year or next but after 2022 something has to give, he either restructures or bye bye.
As I've said... he won't take less, because the next team will pay him 14M/year as well.

And the only real difference between X and Jones in interceptions, Jones is a very good cover corner. So much so, that teams are bated into throwing at X, who appears to be giving up more space, but is better at recovery. The two work in tandem to allow X to shine.

As I've said... he won't take less, because the next team will pay him 14M/year as well.

And the only real difference between X and Jones in interceptions, Jones is a very good cover corner. So much so, that teams are bated into throwing at X, who appears to be giving up more space, but is better at recovery. The two work in tandem to allow X to shine.
Darius Slay, Stephon Gilmore and Joe Haden are the highest paid CB over 30 at 16, 13 and 11m ave. per year respectively. Gilmore and Haden are in the last year of their contracts, the bulk of Slay's money comes over two years 2022 and 2023 but in 2023 the Eagles can save 12m by cutting him so we'll see how he fairs.

Back
Top Bottom