Miami Dolphins: 4 players that should be extended before training camp | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: 4 players that should be extended before training camp

Darius Slay, Stephon Gilmore and Joe Haden are the highest paid CB over 30 at 16, 13 and 11m ave. per year respectively. Gilmore and Haden are in the last year of their contracts, the bulk of Slay's money comes over two years 2022 and 2023 but in 2023 the Eagles can save 12m by cutting him so we'll see how he fairs.
The salary cap isn't just going up, it is going WAY up. Corners who are entering into free agency at the end of this year are going to clean up. The list has a lot of safeties on it, but here it is.

1) Jaire Alexander, CB, Green Bay Packers*
2) Tyrann Mathieu, S, Kansas City Chiefs
3) Stephon Gilmore, CB, New England Patriots
4) Jessie Bates III, S, Cincinnati Bengals
5) Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Pittsburgh Steelers*
6) Darious Williams, CB, Los Angeles Rams
7) Marcus Maye, S, New York Jets
8) Marcus Williams, S, New Orleans Saints
9) Jamal Adams, S, Seattle Seahawks
10) Derwin James, S, Los Angeles Chargers*

edit: Doing a bit more reading, I realized that Marshon Lattimore wasn't even on this list. If his legal problems are resolved, he'll break the bank.

Last edited:
The salary cap isn't just going up, it is going WAY up. Corners who are entering into free agency at the end of this year are going to clean up. The list has a lot of safeties on it, but here it is.

1) Jaire Alexander, CB, Green Bay Packers*
2) Tyrann Mathieu, S, Kansas City Chiefs
3) Stephon Gilmore, CB, New England Patriots
4) Jessie Bates III, S, Cincinnati Bengals
5) Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Pittsburgh Steelers*
6) Darious Williams, CB, Los Angeles Rams
7) Marcus Maye, S, New York Jets
8) Marcus Williams, S, New Orleans Saints
9) Jamal Adams, S, Seattle Seahawks
10) Derwin James, S, Los Angeles Chargers*
200mill is the projection in 2022. 230mil the year after. It was projected to be 200 mil this year so essential by remining flat for a year it pushed it all back a year. All those contracts were structured based on projections. Also any opt-out contracts are deferred a year so essentially those contracts didn't happen in 2020.

If Fuller can stay relatively healthy, I'd prioritize him. The difference between one and two dynamic WR's is significant.

Ogbah is a great fit, and at a decent rate, I'd want to keep him, too.

Baker would have to excel in the Van Noy role to be worth extending. Otherwise, he's worth more to most other teams.

Gesicki would either need to make a major leap as a weapon or a blocker to fit properly with the current group - that is, fit well enough to make him worth extending.

Exactly right...

The way his contract is written, it is mostly salary. 14.0, 14.37, 13.5, 12.4... the pro-rated signing bonus, is only 2.1/year. (there are some really small bonuses paid in the final years that bring the value back up to the 14M range)

This means, these are the salaries that the team sees, the bonus money is already spent. This is what Byron makes. 14M/year. He isn't going to take less because if we moved him, he'd get the same amount (or maybe more) from his next stop.

Those who scream 'restructure', just want to change his salary into bonus money, and the ONLY thing that does is to allow a team to spend tomorrow's money... today.
Some also have the misconception that restructure=pay cut.

Doubt a team is going to give up compensation and a big contract to Gesicki. He ain’t Kelce.
He is a 2nd round. And he is proven. I think you are wrong, he is worth at least a 2nd round for a lot of TD deficiency teams.

You really think a team is going to give up a 2nd rd pick AND a huge contract for Gesicki?
2nd round, absolutely. When you ask casual NFL fans around the nation to name one player in our receiving group, they can only come up with Gesicke. Only local community bashing him.
As for huge contract, what is huge? I say he is worth a top ten TE contract, whether with us or with other teams.

He is a 2nd round. And he is proven. I think you are wrong, he is worth at least a 2nd round for a lot of TD deficiency teams.
If he was on a multi year contract I might agree with you that he is worth a 2nd round pick. Yet as a player going into the final year of his contract, I don’t see him having much value in a trade at this time.
Any team interested in him will likely wait until he enters free agency after next season and then try to sign him without having to give up a draft pick for him.

Trading for a player who is going into his contract year is a big risk. Because that player will be free to sign with any team after the season if he isn’t happy with the team he was traded to. The team ends up giving up a draft pick for a player who only played for them for one year. Any team willing to take that chance would probably only be willing to trade a 6th or 7th round pick for Gesicki in case he opts to sign with another team after the 2021 season.

2nd round, absolutely. When you ask casual NFL fans around the nation to name one player in our receiving group, they can only come up with Gesicke. Only local community bashing him.
As for huge contract, what is huge? I say he is worth a top ten TE contract, whether with us or with other teams.
Yeah I just think a team would have to be very bold to trade a 2nd and possibly give Gesicki a big deal if he doesn’t leave that team in FA for an even bigger contract

Gesicki is getting $10mil/yr and will get paid top3-5 money - bank on it. I don't think anyone would be opposed to signing him, it's making sure the money is right.

If he was on a multi year contract I might agree with you that he is worth a 2nd round pick. Yet as a player going into the final year of his contract, I don’t see him having much value in a trade at this time.
Any team interested in him will likely wait until he enters free agency after next season and then try to sign him without having to give up a draft pick for him.

Trading for a player who is going into his contract year is a big risk. Because that player will be free to sign with any team after the season if he isn’t happy with the team he was traded to. The team ends up giving up a draft pick for a player who only played for them for one year. Any team willing to take that chance would probably only be willing to trade a 6th or 7th round pick for Gesicki in case he opts to sign with another team after the 2021 season.
Yep. And the more draft cap you pay for a player in the last year of their rookie deal, the more leverage u lose in negotiations bc the player knows you're more desperate to sign them.

See Laremy Tunsil

(Still think we'd get more than a 6/7, but I agree w the sentiment)

Gesicki is getting $10mil/yr and will get paid top3-5 money - bank on it. I don't think anyone would be opposed to signing him, it's making sure the money is right.
I could be wrong but I don’t see the MD pulling up the Brinks truck for MG. They will trade him or get a compensatory pick. He’s just not that good.

Ogbah is probably the big one. Fuller I would let him prove it for a few games and then talk extension. You don’t sign the guy to a one year prove it and then extend him before he plays a down

I don’t think baker is a great fit for what Flores wants. That said he has been very productive for Flores. Maybe Flores can keep him

Back
Top Bottom