Miami Dolphins’ current view of Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert might surprise you | Page 27 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins’ current view of Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert might surprise you

What the hell did you see in that example that has Herbert leapfrogging Tua in your mind?

I think the kid was badly coached and I feel he is far more durable than Tua... of course he has a stronger arm...I would say he is a better athlete.

I don’t see Tua holding up physically in the NFL.

What about Murray and Mayfield? I’ll even mention the 6’2” and under QBs like Rodgers and Watson.
Well, I guess you can point to 3 guys who haven't done anything in the league if you wish, but they aren't "elite", like ppl insist we have to have. Rodgers is arguable though.

I think the kid was badly coached and I feel he is far more durable than Tua... of course he has a stronger arm...I would say he is a better athlete.

I don’t see Tua holding up physically in the NFL.
You leave out that Herbert just doesn't play the position as well as Tua. He's not as accurate, he's not as instinctive, he doesn't feel the rush as well, he doesn't find his second or third option as we well, he doesn't make off script plays as well, and he hasn't had the production Tua has even facing lesser talent. On top of that there are some people that question if his personality is right to be a good leader. There is way more to being a great QB than being tall and athletic. I would rather have the guy who can really play the position.

Well, I guess you can point to 3 guys who haven't done anything in the league if you wish, but they aren't "elite", like ppl insist we have to have. Rodgers is arguable though.
Jury's still out on the younger kids. But Watson is inching closer to that possibility.

I think the point is, the trend is changing. Teams realize that lack of height is not as much of a hindrance as it once was perceived to be. Offenses have become more wide open with a lot more pistol and shotgun formations. You no longer need these tall guys taking snaps from under center and standing in the pocket like statues.

I really think the height thing is overrated. I think had size may be even more important. Kyler Murray has 9 1/2" hands which are fairly big for his height. He throws as tight a ball as anyone I've seen in the NFL. Russell Wilson has a
10 1/4" hand and Tua has a 10 1/8" hand which are exceptional for their height.

You leave out that Herbert just doesn't play the position as well as Tua. He's not as accurate, he's not as instinctive, he doesn't feel the rush as well, he doesn't find his second or third option as we well, he doesn't make off script plays as well, and he hasn't had the production Tua has even facing lesser talent. On top of that there are some people that question if his personality is right to be a good leader. There is way more to being a great QB than being tall and athletic. I would rather have the guy who can really play the position.

I’m not disagreeing that a healthy and durable Tua would be my choice for QB2 in this draft.

Where we differ is I (and many others) see Tua as injury prone...Sometimes it seems some players are just genetically injury prone. I also think it could in part be due to Tua’s style of play.

Either way...I doubt his ability to stay healthy in a faster, harder hitting, longer season in the NFL.

If they take him I pray I’m wrong and he stays healthy.

Regarding Herbert... I believe he was held back by a conservative coach and offense at Oregon...Cristobal runs a ground and pound and failed to unleash this big gun he had.

I believe, as Herbert showed at the Senior bowl practices and game...that he has a great arm and is accurate . I believe with good coaching he will blossom into a fine pro.

I have no idea what Miami is going to do...I do know they’ve spent a lot of time scouting Herbert as has been documented.

If I was GM I would either trade up for Burrow if possible? If not, stay at 5 and let the draft come to them. No way I trade up for anybody else.

Herbert not improving from day 1 till now is what's concerning.

Bad offense or not doesnt mean you have the throw inaccurately and late.

I think the point is, the trend is changing. Teams realize that lack of height is not as much of a hindrance as it once was perceived to be. Offenses have become more wide open with a lot more pistol and shotgun formations. You no longer need these tall guys taking snaps from under center and standing in the pocket like statues.
If that is the point, then yes, there may be a trend change. It may also be that the pendulum is about to reverse.

You have a point about rule changes, but I will say, I'm old enough to have seen pretty drastic changes over the decades, and it is still the same basic game. I think the overall level of athletes has done as much to affect schemes and strategy, as rule changes alone.

In any case, there has certainly not been wholesale change, as far as prototypical QB size as of yet. Perceived "trends" aren't real until reality says they are.

For the record, as much as I like Herbert, I think it's fairly obvious Tua is our top choice and Herbert is the consolation
Do you believe the other QB needy teams feel the same?

Do you think we have a "whatever the cost" mentality?

I really think the height thing is overrated. I think had size may be even more important. Kyler Murray has 9 1/2" hands which are fairly big for his height. He throws as tight a ball as anyone I've seen in the NFL. Russell Wilson has a
10 1/4" hand and Tua has a 10 1/8" hand which are exceptional for their height.
QB height(inches) / QB Rating

sizematters.jpg

I had some dental surgery so I have been pretty bored the past 2 days. I started looking at Tua tape and honestly, I do not see the slam dunk talent people keep talking about. Now do not get me wrong, I am not saying he is not gonna be good, but his game tape is not more impressive than the other top QB's. Especially when you account for the receivers he played with and overall team. After looking at the tape, I really do not have a preference, unless we can move up and take Burrow somehow.

I had some dental surgery so I have been pretty bored the past 2 days. I started looking at Tua tape and honestly, I do not see the slam dunk talent people keep talking about. Now do not get me wrong, I am not saying he is not gonna be good, but his game tape is not more impressive than the other top QB's. Especially when you account for the receivers he played with and overall team. After looking at the tape, I really do not have a preference, unless we can move up and take Burrow somehow.
Yah burrows tape really stand out!!

Back
Top Bottom