Miami Dolphins Currently Don’t Look Like They’ll Blow It All Up For 2019. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Currently Don’t Look Like They’ll Blow It All Up For 2019.

Well, you can't be afraid to fail in this business. You can't be afraid to aspire above mediocrity. You're in the wrong business if that's what motivates you.

As a coach, coordinator, or front office executive, you're hired to be fired in this business. You're most likely going to be fired from your job as a coach at some point. It's when, not if. You're not going to leave on your own terms in the NFL. If Don Shula couldn't, you're not going to either.

Good is the enemy of great.

It goes back to a point I made in the draft forum about drafting mediocre quarterbacks in the 1st round. It forces you to make a financial commitment to that mediocrity, or either move on and take a chance on being worse in an attempt to be better. If you don't have confidence in what you're doing, mediocrity is your destiny. This thinking is why Miami forces themselves to overpay for so many mediocre players. Over and over.

It's a shame they hire people whose only goal is to function and make decisions out of fear of losing their jobs, rather than building a winner. It's extremely disappointing for all the Dolphin fans that have tortured themselves with their loyalty to this organization for so long. They remember what a winning franchise looks like and how it operates.

I just shake my head.

I made the same point about Ryan Tannehill before that draft. His resume screamed that you don't take him in the first round. Something is wrong, if you've been on that path as a quarterback and have yet to start a college season opener until beyond your 23rd birthday. The upside logically wasn't high enough. The danger was getting stuck. We've been stuck and I don't see how anyone can be surprised.

I disagree that the Dolphins don't aspire above mediocrity. That's the scary part. They look at Ryan Tannehill's resume in combination with his frame and arm, and convince themselves that it's greatness delayed...merely around the corner. They look into Dion Jordan's eyes and see a tiger. Look at that Charles Harris spin move...amazing.

I realize my Las Vegas tales can be tiring but it's the same type of thing. You either prioritize the correct variables to be on the north side of break even, or you don't. It was never difficult to identify the guys who understood the correct big picture variables and the ones who did not. These Dolphin seasons are never particularly interesting to me because the caliber of individuals atop the franchise is not similar to what I grew up with. You can't expect mediocre minds to make a string of incredibly astute decisions. Meanwhile, when I grew up all you had to do was listen to Joe Thomas or George Young or Bobby Beathard say a handful of sentences and you'd know they were a cut above.

Jimmy Johnson is more than a cut above. He quit early largely because he did understand the big picture variables, and that good is the enemy of great, as you put it. In fact, Johnson used almost exactly those words in jealousy toward the Colts, who had been awful instead of good and therefore plucked the gems like Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James early in the first round. Somehow around here Dave Wanstedt is condemned as a joke and the worst of all time because he failed to win a championship...surrounded by that good/not great that Jimmy Johnson intentionally abandoned.

Anyway, the Dolphins remind me of one of the political parties in Florida, the one that keeps losing every statewide election by razor margin and then pretending nothing is wrong and trotting out the same playbook again.

I made the same point about Ryan Tannehill before that draft. His resume screamed that you don't take him in the first round. Something is wrong, if you've been on that path as a quarterback and have yet to start a college season opener until beyond your 23rd birthday. The upside logically wasn't high enough. The danger was getting stuck. We've been stuck and I don't see how anyone can be surprised.

I disagree that the Dolphins don't aspire above mediocrity. That's the scary part. They look at Ryan Tannehill's resume in combination with his frame and arm, and convince themselves that it's greatness delayed...merely around the corner. They look into Dion Jordan's eyes and see a tiger. Look at that Charles Harris spin move...amazing.

I realize my Las Vegas tales can be tiring but it's the same type of thing. You either prioritize the correct variables to be on the north side of break even, or you don't. It was never difficult to identify the guys who understood the correct big picture variables and the ones who did not. These Dolphin seasons are never particularly interesting to me because the caliber of individuals atop the franchise is not similar to what I grew up with. You can't expect mediocre minds to make a string of incredibly astute decisions. Meanwhile, when I grew up all you had to do was listen to Joe Thomas or George Young or Bobby Beathard say a handful of sentences and you'd know they were a cut above.

Jimmy Johnson is more than a cut above. He quit early largely because he did understand the big picture variables, and that good is the enemy of great, as you put it. In fact, Johnson used almost exactly those words in jealousy toward the Colts, who had been awful instead of good and therefore plucked the gems like Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James early in the first round. Somehow around here Dave Wanstedt is condemned as a joke and the worst of all time because he failed to win a championship...surrounded by that good/not great that Jimmy Johnson intentionally abandoned.

Anyway, the Dolphins remind me of one of the political parties in Florida, the one that keeps losing every statewide election by razor margin and then pretending nothing is wrong and trotting out the same playbook again.

The article did a good job of pointing out how they don't aspire above mediocrity when it comes to risk. They'll choose the vastly overpaid mediocre vet already on the roster as opposed to letting him go for fear of creating a hole they know they don't have the ability to fill through their own talent evaluation.

What they have to understand is that a spin move is a counter. It has to be set up by speed around the edge first with the ability to finish. Otherwise, you just spin yourself right into the block. Charles Harris doesn't have the ability to set up a spin move. I watch Charles Harris' all over college football spinning themselves into the waiting arms of a tackle before they even make contact. It's over. The good one's are able to set it up effectively first with speed around the edge.

Tannehill isn't the first example of why you can't get caught up in frame and arm talent, and he won't be the last. If frame and arm talent was the deciding factor - Paxton Lynch wouldn't be unemployed.

The Dolphins brass understand they can't evaluate talent even better than we understand they can't.

Dave Wannstedt is a joke...Jammal Flechter over Drew Brees...Eddie Moore over Bolden.....A real jokester there.....His record with the Bears,Dolphins and Pitt? Well,that's also
some real funny stuff...Oh,lets not forget Lobster traps...dang,the jokes just keep on rolling.
Dave is closer to Don Rickles,than Don Shula...

Dave Wannstedt is a joke...Jammal Flechter over Drew Brees...Eddie Moore over Bolden.....A real jokester there.....His record with the Bears,Dolphins and Pitt? Well,that's also
some real funny stuff...Oh,lets not forget Lobster traps...dang,the jokes just keep on rolling.
Dave is closer to Don Rickles,than Don Shula...

Lol and he traded a 1st round pick for Rick Mirer when he was in Chicago.

There’s absolutely no way they can bring branch back. That’s moronic

Watch out for a ziggy ansah play as a every down strong side de add this offseason.

If we dump branch and Quinn I could see it.

Then it would be wake ansah Harris and likely first 2 day pick de rotation for 2019

Is Armando serious? Some of his writing is really bad. I guess he has to fill in a number of articles each week. But hopefully everyone understands that their not going to say the guys suck and we won’t them back next year. Lol. They are not going to say that in the middle of a season on a Thursday press conference. Lol. Of course branch, Kilgore, Quinn are goners.

They made big changes last year. They are not going to worry about keeping branch and Quinn . They will make whole sale changes.

I gotta give Armando credit. He can get clicks.
I will stick to listening to Ck and Alf.

When you your fan base thinks that Kiki Alonso is a good LB there are no words.

I want change, but not just for change's sake. By all accounts, the 2019 draft is a weak qb class. I'd start stockpiling picks for 2020. The worst thing we can do is take another Tannehill or Henne, just for the sake of change. The worst thing you can be in the NFL is mediocre. We are not one draft away, especially a draft with a weak qb class. But we can be 2 drafts away with a good vision.

Cleveland and Buffalo took more than 1 year to get the picks to move up for their (hopefully) franchise qbs. Riley and the Heat accepted a down year and dumped contracts to be able to get the Big 3 the following year. I'd use this draft to shore up the DL and interior OL, maybe find a real mlb instead of hoping McMillan will somehow get smarter and faster. I'd trade Reshad Jones while he still has value. Love him, but we're just wasting his prime years, and we have TJ doing the same job, and Minkah to go to FS. And I'd ask for 2020 picks, as you can get higher value. I want us to swing for the fences, but only when the right guy is there. I think 2020 will be the draft to do it, not 2019. And hey, if you can't be good, being profoundly bad is better long term for the team than being +/- .500 for a decade.

Back
Top Bottom