Miami Dolphins Developing 80-acre Sod Farm To Support Their Home Field | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Developing 80-acre Sod Farm To Support Their Home Field

They really should put a dome on it and turf it!!!!

Now if they could develop some players that'd be perfect
I think it's the root of the problem. Miami is probably the most ideal climate to grow a yard and the Dolphins can't even get it done. Why would you expect them to get anything else right? Tannehill is out there stepping in 8 inch potholes, I mean come on.

I think it's the root of the problem. Miami is probably the most ideal climate to grow a yard and the Dolphins can't even get it done. Why would you expect them to get anything else right? Tannehill is out there stepping in 8 inch potholes, I mean come on.
You got a point my friend

80 acres should do it

Imagine if the Flipper tank were still there, and displeasure with the water: "The Miami Dolphins have purchased land enabling a 20 acre man-made pond..."

That's a pretty serious commitment to Plan B. If we can't get the grass to grow and maintain how we want it … I like the planning to ensure a solution.

It has probably more to do with the tremendous amount of events Hard Rock Stadium has. The grass really has never time to recover. It is not so much just the Canes games but soccer events and mostly concerts and now the stupid Tennis garbage where the grass has to be covered. You know that once you cover the grass for a few days it is dead.

This is the downfall on the deal which was cut with the counties. Ross did not get paid tax payer money outfront but is getting tax money per event brought to Hard Rock Stadium. I think the numbers vary and go up to 6 Mill per event depending on exposure and possible economic impact to our area. His goal is and was to load up Hard Rock Stadium with events.
They built a tennis complex next to the stadium they’re not gonna be playing tennis in the football stadium.

They built a tennis complex next to the stadium they’re not gonna be playing tennis in the football stadium.
Yes they will. The tennis complex is for the lesser games. The Stadium will be for key matches.

Here is a rendering....

miamiopen4

I'd have to imagine quality field turf with drainage is much more cost effective than an 80 acre sod farm.

I read an article on how the NFL does it for the Super Bowl every year. Quite the process. The sod begins in Georgia then is transplanted to Alabama where it is "enhanced," only a few miles from the Gulf of Mexico. The lower temperature near the water supposedly aids the growth. Then the sod is rolled and shrink wrapped in preparation to be shipped in refrigerated trucks.

http://athleticturf.net/the-grass-master-alabama-sod-grower-to-provide-7th-super-bowl-field/

One hilarious aspect to that article. Everybody is an adjuster. Pig farmers think the world revolves around pig farming. The guy who runs the NFL sod farm actually believes a Super Bowl betting line changed dramatically based on anticipated muddy field conditions for the 2006 season Colts/Bears game in Miami:

“It rained several days before the Super Bowl and an inch during the game itself. Everyone assumed it would be a complete mudslide,” Paluch says. “The expectations of a muddy field forced Vegas odds-makers to list the Chicago Bears as a heavy favorite (over the dome-sheltered Indianapolis Colts) as they excelled in sloppy conditions. I was sitting at home wondering where the mud was coming from because there was no dirt in that grass. I was right – the field played absolutely perfectly that night. You’ll hear the date of that Super Bowl, 2-3-07, a lot around this farm because after that, everything changed for us. The NFL knew we had something special here.”

Yeah, well not exactly. Nobody cared about field conditions. It was Peyton Manning vs. Rex Grossman. The Colts were favored by 6.5 or 7, depending where you shopped. That didn't change all week.

But I'm sure the Alabama sod guy will be happy to tell that story the rest of his life.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/18592627/nfl-spread-gambling-result-every-super-bowl

Back
Top Bottom