Miami Dolphins Dt Jordan Phillips Wants To Be Elite. How Close Is He?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jul 11, 2018 at 10:11 AM.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Superself and Ray R like this.
  2. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

Phillips is going to blow up this year, immense talent and he's starting to figure it out. I just hope we can keep him if he plays like I expect, he won't be cheap.

Ray R likes this.
  3. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

As the article says, he can be unblockable 'at times".

Contract year coming up. We shall see.

Ray R likes this.
  4. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Wanting to be elite and putting in the work to be elite are two different things. I don't think Phillips has the work ethic to ever get to that level. For one thing, he's never in good physical shape. Shows up overweight and looks like he's never spent any time in the weight room.

Ray R likes this.
  5. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I like the kid.

There are about 7 or 8 guys on this roster that I wish we had two of, he'd be on the list. Probably 7th or 8th on the list, but he's on the list.

The rest of the list would be rather obvious and I am fairly confident in my top 4. After that it get's tricky.

1. Ryan Tannehill backing up Ryan Tannehill pretty much guarantees me 16 games of Tannehill. Nuff said.
    2. Laremy Tunsil, we know he can play OG. (you could talk me into putting him No.1).
    3. Xavien Howard locking down both sides of the field, awesome.
    4. Minkah Fitzpatrick, needs no explanation. (you can flip 3 and 4).

5. Drake, C.Harris, Raekwon, Gesicki, Phillips would be in the conversation.

I can make a case for all of them. Harris and Phillips get bumped up just because of their position importance. Drake is the most known commodity but the depth behind bumps him down. TE has been a need for so long that with 2 super freaks at a position that sees a lot of concussions, we need all the TE's we can get. Raekwon, same reason Tannehill is No.1 on my list but in this case both could be on the field together but at least I know I'll have one.

Depth at WR leaves all of them off my list. Parker looks the part of someone who should qualify for this discussion but the consistency hasn't been there for me to need two of him. Still glad we have one but I am also happy to have Stills, Grant, Amendola and Wilson.

Reshad Jones? Robert Quinn? Nope. And because I want to go there.....

Jarvis Landry at no point in his Dolphin career would've been mentioned on this hypothetical list. I would take one of him for about 4-5 Million, but I'd rather have zero Landry's than watch an offense that had two.

Ray R and SF Dolphin Fan like this.
  6. dirkey

dirkey FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Elite. Ha. I'd take consistent.

He strikes me as someone who just doesn't have that drive in him. I think we'll see what we see every year. Inconsistency. Maybe a few more flashes because it's a contract year.

Hopefully he proves me wrong and pulls a Soliai.

Anvil35, russianbear, Atila and 3 others like this.
  7. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Certainly would be huge if his splash plays become the norm. Everyone knows the talent is there.

I kind of group him and Parker together in that my expectations are for both of them to be contributors, with an occasional big play here and there. I'm not expecting either to be stars at this point.

Ray R likes this.
  8. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

The guy is good for like 30 snaps tops and is horrific against the run. That's been his tape for 3 consecutive years.

9. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

How close is he to being elite? As close as I am to having a 3some...I’m just two girls away.

Bumpus, Atila, PhinsAAA and 6 others like this.
  10. Bruh Man

Bruh Man Member

Every player but Kiko has been called elite this offseason.

jnozag likes this.
  11. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

ive been saying most of the offseason that JP plays when he;s motivated or wants to, contract year he has the potential to be elite, ive always thought the talent and athletic ability has been there, its just the want to hasnt

fishfanmiami, Ray R and superphin like this.
  12. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

I ****ing love comments like this.

So you know what Phillips does during the week and how much time he spends working out?

And exactly what does a 300 pound person need to do to look like they "spent time in the weight room"?

There's so much wrong with this post and it's kind of unbelievable what fans will make themselves believe.

finomenal, NBP81 and foozool13 like this.
  13. lbmclean_nocal

lbmclean_nocal Active Member

this is his contract year right?

so he will ball out this year for his next contract, get paid and then go back to being a fat pud

GUH-sick-EE likes this.
  14. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Hope he has a monster year and we let him walk for a nice comp pick. Next years draft is riddled with DLinemen, one of the best dline drafts in years.

GUH-sick-EE likes this.
  15. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

The DT room scares me the 2nd most of what we have on the roster (LB room is first). I think we have guys that range from adequate to good with 1 or 2 potentially being very good (Phillips being one of them). We lost an elite guy who likely will not be replaced. A consistent version of the Phillips we've seen flash would be a HUGE step in that direction.

16. multistage

multistage Well-Known Member

He used to line up next to a guy that has made a few dollars at the position.

So yeah, I expect there’s some motivation there in a contract year.

But let’s say he turns into a machine, and we pay him. Will he keep it dialed up?

17. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I don't think you will find too many people in the building (FO or players) who are upset we aren't paying Suh, Pouncey and Landry the big bucks.

Remember when Phillips was a rookie and he went out to Oregon to workout with Suh and we credited Ndamakung with being a mentor. Hogwash. Jordan Phillips is the one who went out of his way to fly across country just for a couple days of "help".

Jordan just needs to flip the switch and become nasty.

Suh is not a guy you'd want to encounter in a dark alley, unless your built like Jordan Phillips.

18. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

When we used a 2 to draft him out of Oklahoma I wasn't very excited. Then came the hype: this guy can do a back flip from a standing position at 320 lbs!! He's a freak of an athlete and on and on. What I have seen is a giant lazy player who craps all over opportunities for greatness. I don't like the thinking of a guy who says, there was improvement and that's all you can ask for or words to that effect. What about MUCH MORE IMPROVEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!! This is his contract year so if he's been saving up game changing plays this season would be the time to break them out!

19. FinsGonnaRock06

FinsGonnaRock06 A True Fan

Talk talk talk, do it between the lines on Sunday or GTFO

20. DolfinJohnNY

DolfinJohnNY Well-Known Member

MudDog, I think the proper response to his reply would be VINCE WOLFORK. Did Vince ever spend any time in the weight room? Probably, you just wouldn't know it looking at him.

SCLSU Mud Dogs likes this.
  21. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

its one of the reasons I guess I would be a ****ty GM, if you're production sky rockets by 2 to 3 times the production we normally see out of you, you better believe ill give you a good contract, but its gonna be full of incentives, so yeah all the players that got their "F--- you money" as we call it will definitely leave for the guarantee.... hey ill pay ya more then them, and if you want it, then youll earn it

22. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek Finheaven VIP

I'm just hoping we can get 50% of the snaps out of him. Bumping expectations up to elite is wishful thinking, to put it mildly.

He flashed a bunch last year but wasn't on the field a ton and didn't disrupt consistently enough with Suh eating up blockers next to him. Hard to tell without being there if it was conditioning or motor ... or a bit of both. And his situation just got considerably harder.

I'm pulling for him because his runs after INTs are the most fun I've had watching the fins since the Wildcat.

23. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I believe talent/skills wise he is pretty close, but as far as heart, or doing what is needed to to reach it....he has a lot to prove.

He has shown to be inconsistent, making a great play, followed by an impression of the invisible man.

As I said in another post, if this man puts it together, and is able to show the drive to reach the high ceiling he has, this D-line is going to be world's better then last years with Suh.

24. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Just don't believe this dude has the play-in play-out INTENSITY to live up to his prodigious physical gifts...

Superself likes this.
  25. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

How close is he? Not very.

PBay Fin Fan likes this.
  26. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB Finheaven VIP

He showed flashes last year. Let's hope those flashes turn into consistency. The guy is a physical freak.

27. Mach2

Mach2 Active Member

Exactly. Even if he play great this year, its a contract year, I wouldn't pay him top $. I would be afraid he would backslide after getting the big payday. You know if he has anything close to a Pro Bowl season, there will be teams throwing wheelbarrows full if cash at him.

28. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Crazy athletic talent it's just going to be a matter of if he wants to put in the work.

29. djphinfan

djphinfan Perennial All-Pro

Lets hope it really clicks..like someone or something inspires him to understand that it isn’t difficult to give your talent max effort 16 days of the year.

30. PBay Fin Fan

PBay Fin Fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Listened to the audible podcast with Zonka and Griese today. Very good listen and some good opinions about what it takes to win. Good input about players and money in today’s nfl.

GUH-sick-EE likes this.
  31. dreamwalker

dreamwalker General Martian Army

Honestly some of the comments reminds me of Jason Taylor's contract year...blah blah blah only had 16 sacks in his first 3 years, didn't start gaming until his contract year... Quite a few people wanted to let him walk because 14.5 sacks in his contract year was just a fluke. I have to give credit to those people that said it takes time to learn the position...It takes time for the kid to grow up...

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  32. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

This is entirely possible, and I hope you’re right.

For what it’s worth, I’m really pulling for Vincent Taylor.

33. NEPA Phin Phan

NEPA Phin Phan Active Member

You do realize if he leaves we wouldn't get that comp pick til 2020 and that's only if we don't add any FA's to offset him leaving. Remember, comp picks aren't guaranteed.

34. DefensiveEnd76

Phillips is the type of player who will flash but then disappear for long stretches. He will NEVER be a dominant player in the NFL.

35. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Of all the question marks on this team, this is the one that actually feels like it's worth worrying about. Yeah it's a contract year, but we're talking about a player who just hasn't consistently shown the want-to. And doesn't seem like he's trending that way either.

And if Phillips doesn't take a big step in the right direction, this D-line is going to be in trouble.

36. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy...and let it fly." Finheaven VIP Donator

Contract year. I could give a **** if we resign the guy or not. He's got the rest of his NFL future riding on this one season. I just want to see a guy that can step up his game in the absence of Suh for just this one season. We are so weak at the DT positions, that if he steps up his game, it's good for the team and for his potential future payday. It's asking a lot I know, based on what we've seen.

37. DefensiveEnd76

Showed up at OTAs weighing 341 pounds? Obviously wasn't in good physical shape.

38. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

That is a fair point, but I feel like Gase and Grier are done with high priced FA signings. I also think Ross gets rid of TBUM after this season after the SUH deal didnt pan out and TBUM was the main guy for that.

Plus, If he has a monster year then that is good for us anyway just for defensive performance. BUT I am in no way wanting this guy long term, espcially with the DTs in next years draft.

39. tmny99

tmny99 Glory Glory to Ole Georgia

He is what he is and that won't change.

40. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I imagine we'll be drafting DT again next year. I think he's got potential, but I'm not in love with Phillips.