Miami Dolphins Dt Jordan Phillips Wants To Be Elite. How Close Is He? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Dt Jordan Phillips Wants To Be Elite. How Close Is He?

Honestly some of the comments reminds me of Jason Taylor's contract year...blah blah blah only had 16 sacks in his first 3 years, didn't start gaming until his contract year... Quite a few people wanted to let him walk because 14.5 sacks in his contract year was just a fluke. I have to give credit to those people that said it takes time to learn the position...It takes time for the kid to grow up...

Honestly some of the comments reminds me of Jason Taylor's contract year...blah blah blah only had 16 sacks in his first 3 years, didn't start gaming until his contract year... Quite a few people wanted to let him walk because 14.5 sacks in his contract year was just a fluke. I have to give credit to those people that said it takes time to learn the position...It takes time for the kid to grow up...

This is entirely possible, and I hope you’re right.

For what it’s worth, I’m really pulling for Vincent Taylor.

Hope he has a monster year and we let him walk for a nice comp pick. Next years draft is riddled with DLinemen, one of the best dline drafts in years.
You do realize if he leaves we wouldn't get that comp pick til 2020 and that's only if we don't add any FA's to offset him leaving. Remember, comp picks aren't guaranteed.

Phillips is the type of player who will flash but then disappear for long stretches. He will NEVER be a dominant player in the NFL.

Of all the question marks on this team, this is the one that actually feels like it's worth worrying about. Yeah it's a contract year, but we're talking about a player who just hasn't consistently shown the want-to. And doesn't seem like he's trending that way either.

And if Phillips doesn't take a big step in the right direction, this D-line is going to be in trouble.

Contract year. I could give a **** if we resign the guy or not. He's got the rest of his NFL future riding on this one season. I just want to see a guy that can step up his game in the absence of Suh for just this one season. We are so weak at the DT positions, that if he steps up his game, it's good for the team and for his potential future payday. It's asking a lot I know, based on what we've seen.

You do realize if he leaves we wouldn't get that comp pick til 2020 and that's only if we don't add any FA's to offset him leaving. Remember, comp picks aren't guaranteed.
That is a fair point, but I feel like Gase and Grier are done with high priced FA signings. I also think Ross gets rid of TBUM after this season after the SUH deal didnt pan out and TBUM was the main guy for that.

Plus, If he has a monster year then that is good for us anyway just for defensive performance. BUT I am in no way wanting this guy long term, espcially with the DTs in next years draft.

I imagine we'll be drafting DT again next year. I think he's got potential, but I'm not in love with Phillips.

MudDog, I think the proper response to his reply would be VINCE WOLFORK. Did Vince ever spend any time in the weight room? Probably, you just wouldn't know it looking at him.

Vince was a brick shithouse and could absolutely hold his own in the weight room but by looking at him you'd think he's just a fat guy.

I like the kid.

There are about 7 or 8 guys on this roster that I wish we had two of, he'd be on the list. Probably 7th or 8th on the list, but he's on the list.

The rest of the list would be rather obvious and I am fairly confident in my top 4. After that it get's tricky.

1. Ryan Tannehill backing up Ryan Tannehill pretty much guarantees me 16 games of Tannehill. Nuff said.
2. Laremy Tunsil, we know he can play OG. (you could talk me into putting him No.1).
3. Xavien Howard locking down both sides of the field, awesome.
4. Minkah Fitzpatrick, needs no explanation. (you can flip 3 and 4).

5. Drake, C.Harris, Raekwon, Gesicki, Phillips would be in the conversation.

I can make a case for all of them. Harris and Phillips get bumped up just because of their position importance. Drake is the most known commodity but the depth behind bumps him down. TE has been a need for so long that with 2 super freaks at a position that sees a lot of concussions, we need all the TE's we can get. Raekwon, same reason Tannehill is No.1 on my list but in this case both could be on the field together but at least I know I'll have one.

Depth at WR leaves all of them off my list. Parker looks the part of someone who should qualify for this discussion but the consistency hasn't been there for me to need two of him. Still glad we have one but I am also happy to have Stills, Grant, Amendola and Wilson.

Reshad Jones? Robert Quinn? Nope. And because I want to go there.....

Jarvis Landry at no point in his Dolphin career would've been mentioned on this hypothetical list. I would take one of him for about 4-5 Million, but I'd rather have zero Landry's than watch an offense that had two.

How high and/or drunk were you when you wrote this?? 3 guys on your list that have never taken a snap in the NFL?

Wanting 2 of C.Harris but "nope" to Quinn and R.Jones ? what lol

Back
Top Bottom