Miami Dolphins Forced To Retool Their Offensive Line, Again. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Forced To Retool Their Offensive Line, Again.

Jonathan Cooper is out there but he tends to leave a trail of disappointment everywhere he's been.

We have got to ride it out.

Is the rotator cuff tear really a 4+ month heal? Seems like Romo had this injury every year by week 6 and then speculation would begin as to when he could make it back by.

Tell Sitton to be ready for the postseason.

But we've needed an OL overhaul for 3 years now. The most important position outside of QB and they just kept trying to tweak it. It's been frustrating. So i can empathize other's 'sky is falling' mentality with this.

Yes, true but I thought they made best attempt possible this year with it, considering all the other needs and cap.

As many others have said already, the depth is paper thin, as a result of prior drafts.

Hopefully that tuns around, but if you look to next year, we already probably need a CB a DE possibly DT and LB.

You could add QB to the list and a at least a G. So the list is already long again without even thinking about real good depth.

I’m not saying Larsen is a scrub, but if Miami was so comfortable with him they wouldn’t have went out and got Sitton. We will see a drop off.

I disagree. Larsen is not good and our running attack will suffer.

That’s because you don’t understand or are in denial of the reality of the NFL. NFL teams have roster limits. Any backup G that is an above average player (with rare exceptions) would be a starter on some other team.
Larsen has started over 70 games and by NFL standards is considered a good depth player.
Without looking it up, why don’t you name the top 10 BACKUP guards in the NFL and then explain how Larsen is so inferior to the average backup guard in th NFL.
Now if the phins want to trade for a young up and comer or a good, but disgruntled starter on another team, that is a different discussion.

Last edited:
Spencer Drango, Austin Pasztor, JR Sweezy, Jahri Evans are all average (maybe above average) OG's. Not sure why we wont sign one.

Spencer Drango, Austin Pasztor, JR Sweezy, Jahri Evans are all average (maybe above average) OG's. Not sure why we wont sign one.

Drango was brought in for a workout but not signed- I assume they think what they have at the moment- is the equivalent.

Can we at least wait for the OL to screw up before we hit the panic button? Because I dont think its going to make as much of an impact as most of you think it will... Just.... Chilll...

Sad thing is that just a handful of truly sucky plays at OL can change an entire game.

What would have been an extended drive becomes a sack.
What would have been a first down becomes blown up turnover on downs.
What would have been a touchdown becomes a field goal or loss of yards out of field goal range.
What would have been a positive yards run play becomes no gain or loss of sticks.

Etc.

In crunch time, small, unseen efforts are magnifed. Holding blocks for even .3-4 seconds longer means a huge game difference.

Interior OL is such a huge part of the game nowadays. Without it, most teams are screwed from high level success (if they run a Gase offense especially).

LD

Sad thing is that just a handful of truly sucky plays at OL can change an entire game.

What would have been a touchdown becomes a field goal or loss of yards out of field goal range.
What would have been a positive yards run play becomes no gain or loss of sticks.

Etc.

In crunch time, small, unseen efforts are magnifed. Holding blocks for even .3-4 seconds longer means a huge game difference.

Interior OL is such a huge part of the game nowadays. Without it, most teams are screwed from high level success (if they run a Gase offense especially).

LD

While I agree. it's not just OL. One dropped pass. One wrong route. One missed tackle.

While I agree. it's not just OL. One dropped pass. One wrong route. One missed tackle.

Yes, but those kinds of things often build off of the timing of the OL. If the OL allows timing, those things work out on a much higher average.

If the OL doesn't allow the time and development of the play, those things get blown up and hurried and dropped, at a far greater rate. Tougher throws, tougher catches, less room to run, an offense that has to force it on every play... etc. We've all seen it. Over and over and over again. Groundhog Day style for years in Miami.

LD

Etc.

LD
I think we can get by with average LG play, I really do... Hell I think Gase can scheme around below average LG play... Im not saying a pro bowl left guard isnt a good piece to have, but to act like we're ****ed because you dont have it is a major overreaction...

Yes, but those kinds of things often build off of the timing of the OL. If the OL allows timing, those things work out on a much higher average.

If the OL doesn't allow the time and development of the play, those things get blown up and hurried and dropped, at a far greater rate. Tougher throws, tougher catches, less room to run, an offense that has to force it on every play... etc. We've all seen it. Over and over and over again. Groundhog Day style for years in Miami.

LD

Often, but not always. Remember, I agree and I want a good OL. Tangentially, one reason I think sacks are overstated is hurries (allowed by the OL) can result in bad passes and INTs. Yeah, OL play has far-reaching affets on the O, but others can blow up plays WITH a good OL.

Replacing one lineman with another who has starting experience is par for the course for most teams in the NFL. It may not happen after week one, but it will happen at some point for 70% of them.

Back
Top Bottom