Miami Dolphins Forced To Retool Their Offensive Line, Again. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Forced To Retool Their Offensive Line, Again.

I think we can get by with average LG play, I really do... Hell I think Gase can scheme around below average LG play... Im not saying a pro bowl left guard isnt a good piece to have, but to act like we're ****ed because you dont have it is a major overreaction...

It may be an overreaction, but it's fully in line with past events here in Miami.

Miami does not have a track record at all of having any OL depth. Heck, many times even the STARTERS were bottom feeders in the league, especially as a unit.

And, then -- age old story -- any time Miami has had backups pressed into duty, it's been a bloodbath. Literally. Our QB peeing blood, and Head Coach talking about how good the stances and snapshots and potential of the OL were, stuff like that.

So, overreaction? Maybe. If Miami OL plays well tomorrow and in coming weeks, we'll see.

So far, history says that we'll have a dropoff and that it will be serious enough to impact games.

LD

Don't think there's much doubt that there will some drop off. But who were the linemen Drake ran behind (with some success you may recall) in the last few games of last season?

4/5 the same as will play on Sunday, and James should be an obvious upgrade over Young (although I did think James was very poor in the 1st Jets game last year).

Say what you will about how tired you are of short passes but this team's passing game seems to be predicated on short passes to guys who are good route runners, athletic, or both, with the occasional play over the top at key times to put a dagger into the defense. It will mitigate bad pass pro somewhat. As much as some of you might hate that type of scheme, realize the Pats and Ravens have crushed us year in and year out when they take this approach against us. If you have good timing and a set of shifty receivers (they don't have to be number ones) it can be hard to defend against, especially since it can take the other team's pass rush out of the equation. We always seems to beat the Pats when they try to make big plays against us and Brady makes some surprise bad throws and takes a couple key sacks. When he just throws short passes all game, unbeateable.

That’s just inaccurate. Stop making things up to for what you want to happen.
Why is that inaccurate? I go by what I see on the field. He has not been good and I would like nothing more for him to play at a Pro-Bowl level, but I do not think that is going to happen. Are you making stuff up for what you want to happen?, i.e. Larsen to play well.

people are acting like josh sitton was God at LG. Maybe compared to what we're used to, but relative to the rest of the league? Besides, someone did a film review of wk 1 and one of the plays was Sitton doing his best Dallas Thomas impersonation. Yeah, I hate that we lost our starting LG for the season, but that has zero impact on my expectations for this season. Playoffs or bust.

I’m not saying Larsen is a scrub, but if Miami was so comfortable with him they wouldn’t have went out and got Sitton. We will see a drop off.
Are you complaining because we improved a position on the offensive line? That's just nuts!

people are acting like josh sitton was God at LG. Maybe compared to what we're used to, but relative to the rest of the league? Besides, someone did a film review of wk 1 and one of the plays was Sitton doing his best Dallas Thomas impersonation. Yeah, I hate that we lost our starting LG for the season, but that has zero impact on my expectations for this season. Playoffs or bust.

I looked at that same review and they pointed out that play but said it wasn't necessarily indicative of Sitton's performance overall. Nearly every player featured in that had a highlight and lowlight, and even really good players are gonna have off plays every once in a while. Granted if that play were from a Dallas Thomas we would have considered it evidence of his continued futility, but it wasn't.

As long as Larsen isn't Dallas Thomas bad and Tannehill continues to get the ball out in less than 2.5 seconds (he's currently the fastest albeit after one game) we should be ok.

Gabbert was second with 2.33 and our pass rush couldn't get to him.

Why is that inaccurate? I go by what I see on the field. He has not been good and I would like nothing more for him to play at a Pro-Bowl level, but I do not think that is going to happen. Are you making stuff up for what you want to happen?, i.e. Larsen to play well.

My understanding is that Larsen is a good run-blocker. The dropoff will be in pass pro where Sitton was very good, Larsen isn't. That's just my understanding, I'm not evaluating these guys personally.

Back
Top Bottom