Miami Dolphins: How Does Vincent Taylor Fit Into A 3-4 Scheme? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: How Does Vincent Taylor Fit Into A 3-4 Scheme?

I don't think he would be a waste...he doesn't have the extension but that can be perfected...he has tremendous power and shed capabilities at the LOS and can absolutely be a force in redirecting or interrupting a play. He also has a ridiculous motor and chased down so many tackles from behind, from the side, He has two gab ability. He tracks the ball carrier instinctively and used great hand leverage to shed blockers. His acceleration after reading a play is outstanding as well. He would definitely need some coaching to be an elite NT but would bring a ton of intangibles...

I agree with everything you wrote, which is exactly why he projects as a 3-technique. I really doubt any NFL team that plays multiple fronts on a regular basis will draft him.

If the Jets actually do trade down, as a lot of people are speculating, they could do well to draft Wilkins later on.
I believe they are going with a 4-3. Weren't there speculations about Leonard Williams being traded?? The coach said no.

I expect the Jets to go with Leonard Williams as a 3 technique. Wilkins would probably fit very nicely will either the Jets or the Bills. We may still see a lot of him if we don't draft him.

Jets to a 4-3 means it is highly unlikely they try to bring Henry Anderson back, and when healthy, Anderson is one of the best 3-4 DE's in the league, and he is still relatively young.

Grier should be all over the UFA Henry Anderson come March.

We could just draft Dexter Lawrence and improve two spots with one pick (NT and a big DE). We're automatically more physical in the front 7 with that move.
I agree, especially if Miami trades down into the later part of round #1. Not sure Lawrence last until the middle of round 2? In spite of his suspension.

yeah the guy who didnt play alot of games this year, and was a penetrater not a 2 gap. yes same guy
You mean the 6' 2 344 lbs guy who ran a 5.64---40 yard dash with 34 reps at 225, who's combine profile states:

"Shelton is an above average interior pass rusher for a man his size thanks to his surprising athleticism. He is a fit in a two-gap scheme and could benefit from playing fewer snaps than he was forced to play at Washington."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/danny-shelton?id=2552325

Isn't a two gapper, but a penetrator?

Those games he didn't play in...those were healthy scratches:

"Defensive tackle Danny Shelton arrived with the New England Patriots with the potential to be a reclamation project for Bill Belichick. Over the last two weeks, he’s been trending in the wrong direction, as he’s been a healthy scratch for the first two-game stint of his career."

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/12/danny-shelton-address-his-frustrating-benching/

Or maybe Belicheck read the combine report and played him as he saw fit.

I agree, especially if Miami trades down into the later part of round #1. Not sure Lawrence last until the middle of round 2? In spite of his suspension.

No way he is there when we pick in the 2nd; however, he may very well slide out of the first round because of the way contracts from the 1st and 2nd are issued.

I'd guess he would be a top five pick in the 2nd round.

Frankly, I love the guy and would be plenty happy if we got him at 13. People don't realize just how rare these types of human beings are. There are a lot of big guys around 320 6'0" to 6'3" who can maintain a high level of athleticism, but once these guys go into the behemoth range very,very, few are able to maintain a high level of athleticism and endurance.

The NFL annals are littered with behemoths who looked good mowing people over like they weren't even there in college, and then falling flat in the NFL.

I still think it would be worth the risk to trade down, but not past the Colts.

No way he is there when we pick in the 2nd; however, he may very well slide out of the first round because of the way contracts from the 1st and 2nd are issued.

I'd guess he would be a top five pick in the 2nd round.

Frankly, I love the guy and would be plenty happy if we got him at 13. People don't realize just how rare these types of human beings are. There are a lot of big guys around 320 6'0" to 6'3" who can maintain a high level of athleticism, but once these guys go into the behemoth range very,very, few are able to maintain a high level of athleticism and endurance.

The NFL annals are littered with behemoths who looked good mowing people over like they weren't even there in college, and then falling flat in the NFL.

I still think it would be worth the risk to trade down, but not past the Colts.
Ideally Miami is able to trade down and select Lawrence. Getting extra picks in a draft widely held as being rich in defensive talent, will only help Miami with the rebuild. I'm hopeful the new hierarchy hits a home run come April.

You mean the 6' 2 344 lbs guy who ran a 5.64---40 yard dash with 34 reps at 225, who's combine profile states:

"Shelton is an above average interior pass rusher for a man his size thanks to his surprising athleticism. He is a fit in a two-gap scheme and could benefit from playing fewer snaps than he was forced to play at Washington."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/danny-shelton?id=2552325

Isn't a two gapper, but a penetrator?

Those games he didn't play in...those were healthy scratches:

"Defensive tackle Danny Shelton arrived with the New England Patriots with the potential to be a reclamation project for Bill Belichick. Over the last two weeks, he’s been trending in the wrong direction, as he’s been a healthy scratch for the first two-game stint of his career."

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/12/danny-shelton-address-his-frustrating-benching/

Or maybe Belicheck read the combine report and played him as he saw fit.
Yeah healthy scratches bc he didn't fit the scheme. The pats didn't ask him to 2gap. Holy cow. Not once did I say he couldn't. I said he didn't

Imagine thinking something as trivial as the 225 bench press at the combine was the only way of measuring strength.

Man after the 7 year Tannehill war you'd think some of you would learn to stop putting your foot in your mouth.

Again take a moment to do some historical research on starting NTs and the correlation of strength on the bench press and holler back.

Yeah healthy scratches bc he didn't fit the scheme. The pats didn't ask him to 2gap. Holy cow. Not once did I say he couldn't. I said he didn't
"The Patriots have notched seven sacks and 15 quarterback hits during Shelton’s two-game absence. They’ve also been gouged by the Minnesota Vikings’ and Miami Dolphins’ running backs for 271 rushing yards and two touchdowns on 33 carries."

Because he's a penatrator...right? He belongs in there.

"There is no certainty that Shelton’s two-gapping would have been the difference with the latter. But there is reason to believe the 6-foot-2, 345-pound nose would have been in uniform versus Minnesota and Miami if the Patriots’ roster wasn’t as healthy as it is."

Because he's a penetrator...right?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/oliver...g-backseat-in-patriots-rotation/#572ebdd370bd

Man after the 7 year Tannehill war you'd think some of you would learn to stop putting your foot in your mouth.

Again take a moment to do some historical research on starting NTs and the correlation of strength on the bench press and holler back.

Leverage and footwork have absolutely nothing to do with play strength, amiright

Leverage and footwork have absolutely nothing to do with play strength, amiright

The statement was about upper body strength. Taylor doesn't have the upper body strength necessary to play NT based on his combine numbers compared to what other NTs post on the bench.

Thus a reasonable person (i think) could draw a conclusion he needs to get stronger.

Somehow you took my original statement and came to the conclusion i said leverage and footwork have absolutely nothing to do with strength. Remarkable.

The statement was about upper body strength. Taylor doesn't have the upper body strength necessary to play NT based on his combine numbers compared to what other NTs post on the bench.

Thus a reasonable person (i think) could draw a conclusion he needs to get stronger.

Somehow you took my original statement and came to the conclusion i said leverage and footwork have absolutely nothing to do with strength. Remarkable.

Your original statement of strength mentioned one thing: the 225 bench press, and how based on that one singular thing, he wasn't strong enough to play the position. I countered that point, saying there's more to it than just one element, and you decided to be a smartass and spout some self righteous garbage about how "you'd think some of you would learn to stop putting your foot in your mouth."

Remarkable, indeed.

Back
Top Bottom