Miami Dolphins: How Does Vincent Taylor Fit Into A 3-4 Scheme? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: How Does Vincent Taylor Fit Into A 3-4 Scheme?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
sl9rgwfmuekli2gbvx5f.jpg

Vincent Taylor is willing to play nose tackle in Brian Flores’ 3-4 formations.

“You can put me at linebacker and I’ll go out there and make a play,” Taylor said at the recent Dolphins Cancer Challenge Celebrity Golf Tournament. “I just want to play football. No matter where they put me at, I’m going to go out there and give it my all.”

Taylor has exceeded expectations in two seasons since the Dolphins made him a sixth-round pick from Oklahoma State, where he said he played some nose tackle. Taylor, 6-foot-3, 306 pounds, has played defensive tackle in Miami’s 4-3 but would also be capable of playing defensive end in a 3-4.

“I just want to play football,” Taylor said. “You can put me anywhere. I feel like I’ll make a play, whether it’s the 3-4 or 4-3, whatever the team needs. I just want to play football and go out there and have fun.”

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sport...s-how-does-vincent-taylor-fit-into-3-4-scheme

Great attitude.

Anyone know how many D-linemen the Pats rotated, and if it was situational?

I hate to go to all that trouble of research, if someone already has insight.

Was it him, or DG, that has small lower body (legs)?

Godchaux doesn't fit; Taylor is the complete opposite, he will flourish. If he stays healthy next year I predict he will rank in the top 10 among 3-4 ends.
Maybe not Chris Jones stuff, but he will be well above average.

you may want to rethink your argument.

https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/...aylor-oklahoma-state-cowboys-defensive-tackle

At the NFL Draft Combine, Taylor put up some impressive numbers:

• 5.07 40-yard dash
  • 26 rep Bench Press
  • 28.5 inch Vertical Jump
  • 108.0 inch Broad Jump
  • 7.58 3 Cone Drill
yeah, I was thinking, "Really, you don't think 26 is a good number on the BP." He obviously doesn't workout. I challenge him to sit on a bench and try to pump out 26 reps with 185. He'll find it is not that easy.

yeah, I was thinking, "Really, you don't think 26 is a good number on the BP." He obviously doesn't workout. I challenge him to sit on a bench and try to pump out 26 reps with 185. He'll find it is not that easy.

you may want to rethink your argument.

https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/...aylor-oklahoma-state-cowboys-defensive-tackle

At the NFL Draft Combine, Taylor put up some impressive numbers:

• 5.07 40-yard dash
  • 26 rep Bench Press
  • 28.5 inch Vertical Jump
  • 108.0 inch Broad Jump
  • 7.58 3 Cone Drill

Here comes the peanut gallery that hasn't done any research.

I know plenty about lifting chief thanks.

Any who, i'm not the comparison in this matter. Look up historical bench press marks of effective NTs in the NFL over the years and compare it to Taylor then holler back.

Look up Vince Wilfork, Haloti Ngata, Shaun Rogers, Dontari Poe, Danny Shelton, Snacks Harrison, BJ Raji, and so on and so forth.

The only comparable to Taylor was Jay Ratliff and a) he was originally drafted to be a 3-4 DE and b) he was built like a brick sh*thouse.

So lots of thoughts on this one.
I'm happy to see he is willing to do whatever the coach wants. Liked the kid from the moment we drafted him and am rooting for him. Kinda disappointed that he made such great progress under Kris Kocurek, and that mentor was ripped away with the regime change, so I'm hoping the new DL coach can get to him and help him ascend as he did last season.

He's not a NT, but let's be honest, none of our DL are, and we knew that. He is there in name only, because by the 2020 season at the latest we'll have someone who can play that position, if not this offseason.

We're in an odd time as far as defenses … the passing game dominance has really destroyed 7 man fronts. It's probably more accurate to simply call it a 3 man line than a 34, because it's more often a 33 or 32. And with this fundamental shift, its harder for DL to play 3 or 4 man lines.

He's a good young player on a pittance of a salary, we will use him how and when we can, and if sometimes that means NT, then let's hope he isn't terrible, because everyone realizes that's not really his skillset. If he changes his body and becomes that guy, he's not really going to be a disruptive DT in a 4 man front anymore. But this multiple defense often puts guys in positions where they aren't playing specifically to their skillsets, so it's good that he's embracing this.

We have a lot of needs across the DL, including a need for a NT. But, because of our pronounced need for edge rushers (DL/OLB hybrid types), I'd say his job is pretty secure this season, and probably the 2020 season too if I'm honest.

Every other coach in the league is going to see his willingness to adapt to what the coach needs, and this is probably the single best thing Vincent Taylor can do for the longevity of his career, prove to coaches that he will do what he is asked to do. Smart move on his part.

Lastly … the goal is to tank in 2019, and I suspect that playing any of our current DL as a NT would help get us there in the short term, and correcting that by getting a legit NT would immediately upgrade the defense significantly in the future … meaning we can concentrate on improving everywhere else and still rack up those losses in 2019.

Not really surprised to hear this. Then again, I think it's a contingency plan. Don't be surprised if we add a late round, UDFA, or journeyman NT before the season begins.

I'm rooting for Vincent Taylor. I think he has talent and seems to be a good kid.

Back
Top Bottom