Miami Dolphins: Is Starting Cornerback Role Cordrea Tankersley’s To Lose? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: Is Starting Cornerback Role Cordrea Tankersley’s To Lose?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
8067_gettyimages-900133168.jpg

In an ideal world, cornerback Tony Lippett would return from his season-ending Achilles injury and compete with Cordrea Tankersley for a starting spot on the Dolphins.
But Lippett’s injury is historically difficult to bounce back from. And, interestingly, coach Adam Gase has expressed a certain mentality he wants Tankersley to take entering his second season.
“We’d love to see (Tankersley) come in really with the mindset of that’s his spot and he’s not going anywhere and really be aggressive as far as not let anybody take that spot that he’s had,” Gase said at the NFL owner’s meetings.
Tankersley started 11 games as a rookie, taking over for Byron Maxwell in Week 3.
https://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/spo...rdrea-tankersley-lose/4vBv3XAqBvW85TRAyIGReN/

I'm wondering if we could transition Lippet to FS? Not sure I see him as a slot corner type.

I like Tank’s feistiness and Lippett’s ability to play the ball. Not sure about how Lippett will fare coming off an Achilles injury.

What I like is this will be a true competition. That’s a big plus. I like both guys.

McCain is getting extended. He’s a good player. He’s unfairly maligned on this site.

I like both those guys. Lippett was really making progress. I hope he's back 100% healthy and gets his hands on the football.
Tank was doing a decent job too so I hope he's back 100% healthy also.
We have a lot of guys coming back from injury this year. IF we can stay healthy we could have a much better team

If our Dline shows up this year, our young Dbacks will look good, real good. These kids are aggressive and seem to want to succeed at this level, this is one of the few positions that has a ton of upside.......but it all depends on the guys upfront.

If our Dline shows up this year, our young Dbacks will look good, real good. These kids are aggressive and seem to want to succeed at this level, this is one of the few positions that has a ton of upside.......but it all depends on the guys upfront.

Really think it's the LB group that needs to step up.

I like Tank’s feistiness and Lippett’s ability to play the ball. Not sure about how Lippett will fare coming off an Achilles injury.

What I like is this will be a true competition. That’s a big plus. I like both guys.

McCain is getting extended. He’s a good player. He’s unfairly maligned on this site.

(my bolding in quote) McCain improved a lot this last season. I think the grief he took in previous years was well warranted. Hopefully he continues to improve and contribute!

The job is definitely Tank's ... for now.

In the NFL, if there are two good young CB prospects, and one has 3 shakey games ... most coaches pull him and put in the other guy.

Tankersley has more athletic ability and will be given every opportunity to win the spot unless he is awful.

Lippett's injury undercuts the staff's trust in him, and he is slow and not quick. Lippett would have to ball out AND Tankersley show very poorly for Lippett to start over a healthy Tankersley on opening day.

But by game 3, a re-evaluation will be in full swing.

Although it's easy to follow the NFL in general over here across the pond it's more difficult to follow how individual players do (main reason I signed up to the forum) but I really liked what I saw of him. I've got high hopes for the kid, are they justified or not?

I loved some of the things Tank was able to do last year... Even if he were a bit raw. I loved Lippett's second year too.

When was the last time we had three corners on out roster that most people liked / would have been happy to see start? Whether any of them are able to play slot or not, chances are we'll need at least three boundary corners throughout the season. Our strength in depth there right now (assuming Lippett recovers well), all on their rookie deals and two of them being mid / mid-late round picks is how you become a winning team. We need to do it up and down the roster... but Corner is a start at least!!

Back
Top Bottom