Miami Dolphins Make Ryan Tannehill Risk Even Bigger With No Safety Net | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Make Ryan Tannehill Risk Even Bigger With No Safety Net

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score

The Dolphins are making a sizable gamble on Ryan Tannehill with the hope that he not only produces a nice comeback story after a major knee injury, but also immediately start playing the best football of his life at 30.
And while that’s living a little more dangerously than some might be able to stomach, their logic is reasonable given how well he played last time he was on the field.
What doesn’t make sense, though, is that they’ve heightened the risk by going forward with the smallest possible safety net. With no addition in the draft and no proven free agent coming aboard, they’ve made this as difficult on themselves as possible.
The lesson they said they learned from last season’s debacle — David Fales, Matt Moore and $10 million man Jay Cutler combined for some of the worst quarterback play in the NFL — doesn’t seem to have stuck.
“Last year didn’t go, obviously, the way we hoped,” vice president Mike Tannenbaum said in January. “It gave us a chance to reflect on some things we could do better. Part of that is making sure that we have good depth at as many positions as possible, knowing that over the course of a 16-game season, they’re going to play. That’s what history shows us.”
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...annehill-risk-even-bigger-with-no-safety-net/

Well, Captain Obvious. We don't have a good backup situation. You spent a whole article on recounting the obvious weaknesses of people who are backups for a good reason.

I don't see this as any worse than last years situation. Even if we drafted a QB - I doubt that any of the ones available including Rudolph would be ready for 2018 any more than the backups we have so 2018 itself would still be a lost situation.

I'm still hoping a better veteran will become available but I can't complain about not drafting a QB given what we got in the draft. If we inserted the name of _______________ for any of the QBs we could have drafted the article would still read the same in terms of the impact on 2018.

Fine. But if we're picking in the top 10 they should all be fired for a fresh start across the board.

Fine. But if we're picking in the top 10 they should all be fired for a fresh start across the board.
If it's because of RT goes down, I disagree. You are entitled to your opinion but I don't think any of the QBs in this draft were worth chasing and I don't think any of them will be that good in their rookie year. We'll see I could be wrong. I think the FO made the team better overall and those needs had to be addressed no matter who the QB is.

Reaching for one of these QBs without fixing the LB and TE situation would leave us with nothing fixed and a wasted draft. That kind of thinking got us here in the first place.

Seriously, only a handful of teams have a viable backup that could play at a high level for an extended period of time.
Most people couldn’t name the backups on the majority of teams.
This is only an issue because the pundits have no faith in RT, whether he’s injured or not.

The plan is to make the playoffs with Tannehill. If he gets hurt again and with the back ups we have then our top pick will be a QB

Valid points made in the article although we all know what happened last year and what we did in the draft. I disagree with the notion that if RT goes down our team is toast so trying to find a viable backup in the draft or otherwise is irrelevant.

Same old story. First of all Tannehill is coming back 100% healthy into an offense where he was starting to really click in prior to the injury. He was 7-1 in his last 8 games. If he gets injured we'll put in Osweiler who was good enough to back up Peyton Manning during their Super Bowl run. When Manning went down Osweiler came in and did a fine job going I believe, going 5-3. In this system, which he's comfortable in, Oseiler can be a game manager or a little more if needed. I'm not sure what the major concern is, Ryan is a super durable QB, always has been, and if he gets hurt again it will be a freak injury like the Cambell hit. I see Tannehill picking up right where he left off and enjoying good health for the next several years.

I'd bet that Gase is 100% comfortable with Osweiler as a back up. Most teams don't have ultra talented back ups. The Eagles won it all with Foles, is Foles so much superior to Osweiler? Post Super Bowl Foles is looking pretty great but before the Super Bowl didn't most people consider Foles and Osweiler equals? Who's a great back up? Hoyer? Mike White in the 5th round?

Bottom line-the article say we are taking a gamble, we are. I don't see much that I would have done differently except I may have taken Mason Rudolph with the 3rd pick. If Ryan goes down would you prefer Osweiler or Mason Rudolph? If Big Ben goes down in Pittsburgh, Steeler fans may just find out exactly what that would be like. As of now we roll with what we have. This team has received a stunning makeover and Gase isn't finished.

2017 we planned to enter the year with a supposedly healthy RT, albeit off a “tweak” of his ACL,and Matt Moore who was one of the best backups in the league.

2018 we enter the year with a supposedly healthy RT coming off ACL surgery and Osweiller.

On paper this is a regression. What did we learn?

2017 we planned to enter the year with a supposedly healthy RT, albeit off a “tweak” of his ACL,and Matt Moore who was one of the best backups in the league.

2018 we enter the year with a supposedly healthy RT coming off ACL surgery and Osweiller.

That after Cutler was benched for a few games even "one of the best backups in the league" still looked like ****

I do not like the backup situation but what would you have done to make the team ready in the event of losing RT this year? I don't see any obvious options we could have taken to get a 2018 ready QB with resources we had.

Who would you have here now and how would you gave got him here?

I'm hopeful that Osweiler isn't as bad as everyone thinks and as he's shown in his career so far. I get the feeling part of his problem is he thinks he's much better than he is so he throws interceptions. I think that comes down to coaching and maybe Gase is confident he and Bo Hardegree can help Brock out.

I just don't see what the big deal is. If #17 balls out, everything's fine, we HAVE our guy. If he gets injured again, we're moving on. Why do we want a "great" backup so we can go 7-9 and pick 15th in the draft? Would you rather have to give up all your draft capital to move up to pick your next franchise quarterback, or would you rather just be where you need to be?

The Lobster will lead us to the promised land, a top 3 pick.

Back
Top Bottom