Miami Dolphins Must Get Proactive Before It's Too Late | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Must Get Proactive Before It's Too Late

I think the expectations for a “shut down” corner are more diluted now than they used to be. QB’s throw far fewer picks than they used to and there’s guys running wide open down the field in every game every week because no one can touch them. So I’m not stressed when he gets beat because he makes it up with turnovers, which is gold these days when defenses don’t force three and outs anymore. But he’s on a team that doesn’t score points so his big plays turn into just window dressing a lot of weeks. For now, I’d bet against him being resigned because he has all the cards and can hold the front office hostage as long as he wants. I doubt his play drops off precipitously, and if it does a little he’s still very expensive. If there’s a major regime change brewing that actually values offensive touchdowns then that’s where the money, present and future will go.
I like how well thought out your post is.

X doesn’t get beat that much. He’s not truly shut down level like Revis in his prime was and there hasn’t been anyone that level since. But you throw it in his area you playing with fire that it’s gonna be coming back at you. And he has the most consistent play technique of any corner in football. Arrives witb the ball always around the ball.

Probably the best corner miamis had since Sam Madison for a year or two there and that fell off rather quickly actually. X has better technique in terms of consistency witb it.

Not to mention it’s a play Miami has to make. He’s not a finished product yet either.

I believe it was 4 years/40ish million (I want to say 42mil)... I wasn't clear if they were suggesting thats what they wanted to give him before this season or maybe after - regardless, that's out the window.

Not my info, it was posted by someone with insider info on the VIP forums and that poster has a lot of clout, so take it for what you will... if he's not allowed to sign an extension yet then that info seems a little odd and maybe it was suggested for end of season. And this was suggested BEFORE this season, so you can't say they didn't have foresight (for once).

I dont like how vain he comes off but he does have a point. He does seem like one of the best corners in the league.

And he is definitely the best cb we have had since I have been a fan... Madison and Surtain included.
He has been very humble to this point but he has played at a ridiculously high level over the past 16 game stretch. I believe this is the first time he has bosted about his game.

He needs to do that so people maybe take a look due to that comment so he can get a deserved nod for the pro bowl. As long as he doesn’t go James Ramsey on is I am OK with his speaking up a little to get some recognition, the media would bury him because he’s in Miami so he probably needs to say stuff like that to make sure people take notice.

He's definitely not better than Surtain.... and his play style/performance has been far similar to that of Sam Madison (gets beaten a bit more, makes splash plays) than Pat Surtain (more consistent, more truly shutdown). Give him another couple seasons like this before putting him in the conversation with two of the the best cornerbacks we've ever had.

I think the expectations for a “shut down” corner are more diluted now than they used to be. QB’s throw far fewer picks than they used to and there’s guys running wide open down the field in every game every week because no one can touch them. So I’m not stressed when he gets beat because he makes it up with turnovers, which is gold these days when defenses don’t force three and outs anymore. But he’s on a team that doesn’t score points so his big plays turn into just window dressing a lot of weeks. For now, I’d bet against him being resigned because he has all the cards and can hold the front office hostage as long as he wants. I doubt his play drops off precipitously, and if it does a little he’s still very expensive. If there’s a major regime change brewing that actually values offensive touchdowns then that’s where the money, present and future will go.

The rules changes...particularly 2007 changes, but the tweaks to the rules recently make the game a high scoring pinball machine.

You can’t expect any corner to never get beat.

I think the expectation is to get your share of turnovers and limit the production...which we are getting in the pass defense. We need to stop the run.

Our turnover differential is a major reason we are even .500.

Yep. And 4 and 40 isn’t doing anything but pissing him off.

That’s bs both the offer amount and the fabrication of it.
I think it was smart of the Dolphins to lock him up early on the cheap, he turned it own....no big deal.

maxresdefault-5_orig.jpg

How Dolphins cornerback Xavien Howard is still somehow unrecognized around the league as a top NFL corner is a mystery. Even with the elephant in the room that he plays for Miami (which somehow immediately removes any possible recognition he deserves), he's accomplished something practically unheard of: Howard has three games this season alone where he's caught two or more interceptions in a game (OAK, IND, BUF).

That's not even counting the two games he had last season where he caught two against the Denver Broncos and two against the New England Patriots...yes, that means Tom Brady.

“I’m the best corner in the league,” Howard declared after the game. “Look at my stats. There’s no doubt. Just watch the stats and watch my game.”

The stats are impossible to ignore.

https://www.phinmaniacs.com/news/miami-dolphins-must-get-proactive-before-its-too-late

Haven't read the entire thread so someone may have made this observation. "best corner" is a negotiating stance. Not saying X ins't a top CB nor that I don't want him signed, BUT, that sounds like 'I want best corner' money. Not certain I'd go 'top money.'

I think it was smart of the Dolphins to lock him up early on the cheap, he turned it own....no big deal.

He wasn’t even eligible for an extension having not finished his 3rd year in the league.

Your source might want to have their ducks in a row next time.

He has been very humble to this point but he has played at a ridiculously high level over the past 16 game stretch. I believe this is the first time he has bosted about his game.

He needs to do that so people maybe take a look due to that comment so he can get a deserved nod for the pro bowl. As long as he doesn’t go James Ramsey on is I am OK with his speaking up a little to get some recognition, the media would bury him because he’s in Miami so he probably needs to say stuff like that to make sure people take notice.

You're right. He has been humble but he has Branch in his ear telling him to make that statement so he can create some buzz and get paid. There was a story on it last week.

I see him wanting top 5 cb money for sure...I will say this, and not a knock on Landry, but X would deserve to be a top 5 paid cb with his shut down ability
Landry gave it to us four consecutive years...

Howard has one great year...let's see if he's still shut down next season then cut him a check.

I think there is a systemic issue here, as well.

Have we ever seen or heard of TB giving big money to his own FA/draftees?

But we have seen plenty of money given to outside FAs.

That wears on your own team over time.

I think Trader Mike loves to goes cheap in house so he can spend big and impress outside talent.

Accidentally admitting he does value his own drafted talent because he knows he is good at drafting.

It is hard to truly change a culture when most of the NFL likely doesn't respect your Front Office or the people running it.

Meh, losing Howard for two 1st rounders. I'm okay with it.
Two 1st means I'm closer to Tua in the 2020 draft.

Back
Top Bottom