Miami Dolphins Off-season Therapy: Ridding The Thoughts Of Matt Burke’s Defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Off-season Therapy: Ridding The Thoughts Of Matt Burke’s Defense

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
usa_today_10503601.0.jpg

I want to work on that “crazy” part for a moment, though — you need not succumb existential gratification to the ghosts of Dolphins’ past. Every off-season, Dolphins fans will comb through the warts of yesteryear, but the wound doesn’t heal, it is renewed against the backdrop of perpetual Playoff winlessness.

I aim to chip away at those bricks weighing Dolphins fans down. Let’s start with last year’s defense led by Matt Burke.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2019/6...ng-the-thoughts-of-matt-burkes-defense-scheme

Gase tried to outsmart the league with a defensive scheme which was different but ended up out smarting himself. He was able to employ an DC who crazy as it sounds actually believed in the wide 9.

The decision that sunk last year was that Gase chose Sitton over spending big bucks at guard in free agency. If Gase valued the Oline just a bit more than the bare minimum, we would've been at least 9-7.

That line looked great for one game. Not sure if any Def Coordinator could've withstood that.

That said, everyone knew he was green and that alignment was wack.

Burke...

A name that will forever live in infamy in Dolphins lore...

The fact that we now have a no bullshit DC for a HC would be enough.

Add to that a permanent departure from the Wide 9 (Wide holes, 9 yards per carry) and there is no question that our D will show tremendous improvement.

Like everybody else, I am deeply concerned with the pash rush (or lack thereof). But I am confident that a good coach can improve an average player tremendously.

It has been many years since Arnsparger, and I do not expect No Name and Killer B results.

But I bet we see a remarkable improvement.

It is the multiple front defense that Flores brings that really excites me for his new coaching regime. Finally, we will be back to having people who execute, mistake-free (or closer to it than recent history) becomes our calling card. Suddenly, we're competitive against any offense. That opens things up for a solid offense to win a lot of games … and have a chance in the playoffs.

Thank God Burke is gone. You could see from the very 1st preseason game the defense wasn't going to be good. Then the mistakes and blown assignments began to pop up, over and over again. It was complete trash. In an 18 game span from mid 2017 till the end of 2018, I think the defense gave up close to 450 yards a game, if not more? The caveat to all of this is how, Xavien Howard somehow developed into a top notch CB. It was just brutal to watch. I'm glad it's over with. In my heart I know Flores and company are much more astute than the Gase/Burke combo and have high expectations for the future of the team. Preaching fundamentals and technique is the way to get your players completely ready, every week.

We got a huge amount of turnovers in Burke's defense which made me consider was it due to scheme or the players themselves. We will find out this year. Not plugging the defense either so need need for comments in that direction but our one positives were the turnovers definitely kept us in games and won a couple.

I said from day one ...why would anyone want The bengals defensive coaches in Joseph and then Burke his disciple. Thy were never really an good as far as scheme goes.

I bet the young guys that have only seen the nonsense of Matt Burke and Adam Gase are going to be absolutely blown away by the competency of this coaching staff. It's like leaving a toxic work environment for a new a job and seeing that things can be done better.

Defense has to be better with Flores. It appeared that Gase really wanted nothing to do with that side of the ball. I like that Flores wants to put his imprint on both offense and defense. That was something I was hoping we'd see from Gase.

Defense has to be better with Flores. It appeared that Gase really wanted nothing to do with that side of the ball. I like that Flores wants to put his imprint on both offense and defense. That was something I was hoping we'd see from Gase.
Gase was allergic to it, we know this from how he coaches in practice and in games, and, how he hired Greg Williams to be his defensive Savior.

sad part our defense has nt been good sense Suh came to dolphins. Wide 9 is good in philly but it suck in mia it gives us lot of turn over. our def should be better this yr.

Back
Top Bottom