Miami Dolphins' Practice Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins' Practice Report

Geforce

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins' second open OTA's practice

-- "We thought he was decisive in the way he plays the game," Philbin said of Dannell Ellerbe.

-- "He's a big guy. Catches the ball with his hands well. He's an intriguing prospect," Philbin said of new WR Courtney Gardner.

-- Because the defense got the best of the offense today Joe Philbin joked that "I'm a defensive coach today."

-- "He moves around like a football player," Philbin said of Kelcie McCray. "His play speed has been increasing. Some rust needs to come off."

-- "He's a real pro," Philbin said of Dustin Keller. "That's one thing that really was a pleasant surprise for the coaching staff."

-- Philbin said blitz pickup and route running will be the way the tailbacks are evaluating other than running the ball.

-- Philbin said he expects the RB competition to be fierce, but team hasn't gotten to the point they are rotating.

-- "Clearly we would like to practice a little faster," Philbin said of the practice pace.

-- "He's a good ball catcher. He catches the ball in his hands well and he went after the ball," Philbin said of Brandon Gibson.

-- "I like the way he plays. I always have," Joe Philbin said of Brent Grimes game.

-- Philbin said Brent Grimes "had excellent instincts and competitiveness....he plays bigger than his size."

-- Joe Philbin said today was the red zone day. They were teaching them the new scoring plays.

-- "At the end of the day depending on how you did you'll be where you need to be as far as the depth chart," Will Davis said.

-- "No doubt about that. I definitely would have been a first rounder," Courtney Gardner said. He claims he runs a 4.51 at 225 pounds.

read the rest at
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...en-ota-practice-20130529,0,4436207,full.story

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...en-ota-practice-20130529,0,4436207,full.story

-- Rishard Matthews caught a touchdown pass from Tannehill during 11-on-11s.

-- Marcus Thigpen dropped a pass when he heard Nolan Carroll's footsteps. Thigpen had plenty of drops.

-- Will Davis deflected a pass during JV's 11-on-11s. He jumped the route.

-- Chandler Burden was working as the JV center and clearly needs work. He had a ridiculously high snap. Looked like a field goal.

-- Aaron Corp got sacked by rookie defensive tackle Chris Burnette.

-- Caleb Strugis missed a 47 yard field goal then made a 32-yarder, 48-yarder, and 49-yarder. No work during team session for Dan Carpenter.

-- Austin Spitler forced Matt Moore to throw the ball away during his second snap of 11-on-11.

-- Kelcie McCray intercepted a Matt Moore pass. Great safety play. He's clearly a sleeper.

-- Ryan Tannehill threw a 17-yard touchdown pass to Dustin Keller, who was wide open. Tannehill said the play got called back. I didn't see the penalty.

-- On the next play H-back Charles Clay roasted Reshad Jones down the seam for a touchdown pass Tannehill ripped throw the secondary. Bold throw!

-- Rishard Matthews scored three touchdowns today. One on a deep ball and two in the red zone.

-- Kyle Miller caught two red zone passes that set up Cameron Marshall's touchdown run for the JV squad.

-- Armons Binns caught a jump ball touchdown on a QB scramble from Pat Devlin.

-- "We thought he was decisive in the way he plays the game," Philbin said of Dannell Ellerbe.

-- "He's a big guy. Catches the ball with his hands well. He's an intriguing prospect," Philbin said of new WR Courtney Gardner.

-- Because the defense got the best of the offense today Joe Philbin joked that "I'm a defensive coach today."

-- "He moves around like a football player," Philbin said of Kelcie McCray. "His play speed has been increasing. Some rust needs to come off."

Last edited by a moderator:
Rishard one deep / 2 red zone TD's. This is very good news.

The red zone is where we need the players and the improvement.

Egnew #84 and Tyms #85 also Chad Pennington talking to one of the coaches

[video]http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/photo-gallery/PHOTO-GALLERY-Weather-Forces-Dolphins-Inside-For-OTA-2/2b55b6f4-3acf-4532-9732-8bc2aeecaf49#dd18c56c-3b83-4a49-8747-748030fe12e6[/video]

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley now
Mike Wallace missed practice today to attend to a family emergency, the Miami Herald has learned. He is fine.

from espn:

DAVIE, Fla. -- The new-look Miami Dolphins held another practice this week that was open to the media. The AFC East blog was live in attendance to catch all of the action.

Here are some notes and observations from Wednesday's practice:
It was a dominant day for the defense. Miami’s defense came out on top across the board on the first- and second-team during drills. The biggest play of the day came during 11-on-11 practice when outside linebacker Koa Misi recorded a pick-six off starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Just a couple plays earlier, Miami linebacker Philip Wheeler nearly picked off Tannehill. Backup quarterback Matt Moore also threw an interception to safety Kelcie McCray in the two-minute drill. "It looked like the defense had the upper hand. ... I saw Ryan before I came down as I stepped off the elevator and he said, ‘Well, it wasn’t one of our better days,'" coach Joe Philbin said.
Last week it was receiver Armon Binns. This week, the star receiver was Rishard Matthews. The 2012 seventh-round draft pick had three touchdowns in team drills, including two nice catches in the red zone. Matthews is trying to make a crowded roster at wide receiver. He caught just 11 passes for 151 yards last season but made a good impression on Wednesday.
Dolphins cornerback Brent Grimes said his Achilles feels fine and he doesn’t have any mental hurdles with his return. Grimes’ season ended early last year due to injury, and he’s returning to the field for the first time during OTAs. Miami is counting on Grimes to stay healthy and be the team’s No. 1 corner. “I’m doing well and building strength every day,” Grimes said. “I’m getting stronger and I got plenty of time before the start of the season.”
The notable absences from practice Wednesday were defensive tackle Randy Starks (contract) and No. 1 receiver Mike Wallace (undisclosed). Starks is upset over the franchise tag, and Philbin did not explain why Wallace wasn’t present when asked.
Projected starting running back Lamar Miller believes he’s ready to handle the load. Miller shined last year with just 51 carries and led the Dolphins with 4.9 yards per carry. But injuries and durability have been concerns for Miller dating back to college. Being Miami’s starting running back could require 200 carries or more. “I think I can be that [type of player],” Miller said. “It’s all about being in better condition and just staying healthy and treating your body well."
Former Dolphins and New York Jets quarterback Chad Pennington was in attendance. Pennington played three seasons in Miami and was the last quarterback to lead the Dolphins to the playoffs (2008). Philbin said it was good to have another voice stop by and work with the quarterback group.
Receiver Brandon Gibson remains a work in progress playing in the slot. He mostly played outside at receiver with the St. Louis Rams, but the Dolphins need him inside following the departure of Davone Bess. Gibson is projected to be the No. 3 receiver with Wallace and Brian Hartline on the outside. “He’s a good player,” Tannehill said of Gibson. “I think he’s still learning, still adjusting to all the nuances of the offense. It’s one thing to sit in a meeting room and learn it on paper. But all the adjustments and hot throws and stuff that you pick up over time we’re still getting adjusted to.”

Im still not a fan of Gibson in the slot, think he should be played on the outside.

Davis used the term, "at the end of the day"...cut him now...that is a Moronoism...

"I definitely would have been a first rounder"

what is that receiver talking about? No one even knew about him and if I recall, he was very very raw from highlight videos

Back
Top Bottom