Miami Dolphins rumored to be working on a trade with the Redskins | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins rumored to be working on a trade with the Redskins

Again your comprehension is wanting you don’t read my thread and respond about SB winners???

Later you write On another thread you are OK drafting Tua at 5 OA but today you wrote on another post that Tua won’t be on an active roster before his rookie deal is up

Excellent job!!

I think the comprehension issue is on your side. Let me break it down for you simply;
1. I have concerns about Tua's abilities and injury history
2. I believe a serious injury to any player should immediately disqualify that player as someone worth "moving up" for.
3. The injury concerns about Tua, and in fact, Tua's decision to join the NFL earlier than he wanted to, coupled with recent information Ihave been hearing from sports figures close to Tua have me highly suspicious about the longevity of his career. In fact, I would not be surprised if he does not make it past his rookie contract.
4. Despite the above concerns, they are my concerns, not the Dolphin's. I realize the Dolphins likely see Tua as a highly valued prospect and may very well draft him.
5. As the draft is a gamble, it would be difficult to be too angry about the team taking a chance on Tua "just in case" he returns to form. In this sense I am OK with it despite not being thrilled about it. This would be the ultimate gamble with the highest risk taken by any team drafting this year, which I don't like, but the amount of draft capital we have have softens that blow. Thus, I am OK with Miami taking Tua at 5.
6. My preference would be for Miami to trade down and amass more picks, because there is literally not one single unit on this team that is set. Every unit needs significant upgrading. This means all picks are important, and the more the better. Trading down will net more players available, and a shot to either get a QB later if they like one, or just wait and pick a healthy QB they like next year.
7. History shows, and it should be obvious to any fan, that you need more than just a QB to win it all, which is My hope for this team.

Hopefully you will finally understand my position now.

I think the comprehension issue is on your side. Let me break it down for you simply;
2. I believe a serious injury to any player should immediately disqualify that player as someone worth "moving up" for.
3. The injury concerns about Tua, and in fact, Tua's decision to join the NFL earlier than he wanted to, coupled with recent information Ihave been hearing from sports figures close to Tua have me highly suspicious about the longevity of his career. In fact, I would not be surprised if he does not make it past his rookie contract.
4. Despite the above concerns, they are my concerns, not the Dolphin's. I realize the Dolphins likely see Tua as a highly valued prospect and may very well draft him.
5. As the draft is a gamble, it would be difficult to be too angry about the team taking a chance on Tua "just in case" he returns to form. In this sense I am OK with it despite not being thrilled about it. This would be the ultimate gamble with the highest risk taken by any team drafting this year, which I don't like, but the amount of draft capital we have have softens that blow. Thus, I am OK with Miami taking Tua at 5.
6. My preference would be for Miami to trade down and amass more picks, because there is literally not one single unit on this team that is set. Every unit needs significant upgrading. This means all picks are important, and the more the better. Trading down will net more players available, and a shot to either get a QB later if they like one, or just wait and pick a healthy QB they like next year.
7. History shows, and it should be obvious to any fan, that you need more than just a QB to win it all, which is My hope for this team.

I think the Dolphins are in position to move up stay put or trade back which is a good place to be. We have FitzPatrick next year as well as Rosen who we don’t really know what we have in him or what value the team puts on him.

we are in a terrific position draft wise and cap space wise to do some really good things. If they dropped the ball on this premium situation then will suffer the consequences.

This is well-presented.

I disagree, as people will, about your portrayal of Tua's potential return to form. I certainly believe you're erring on the side of pessimism with "just in case" he returns to form - that makes it seem like a long shot, when all indicators thus far are positive.

However, I am firmly entrenched on your side of the issue with #6 and 7 in MOST cases. Build the lines first, then go get your guy at QB. The question here is: "Is a heathy Tua good enough to reverse that line of thinking? Is he potentially THAT good that you want him as your QB no matter what? Go get Tua, let him sit a year or half a year while Fitz starts, and build your lines with the rest of your picks and oodles of cap room? Is the potential payoff worth the injury risk? Is the juice worth the squeeze? Do the Dolphins have the assets to potentially pull ALL of this off over the next two years? Fix the QB position, the O-Line, the D-Line, and have the other areas competent enough to make this team a threat in 2021 and a legit contender in 2022? Is it worth the risk to shoot for that goal?"

I believe the answer to all of this is yes.

There's another thought in my head that Tua stands a decent chance of being a guy who has a good 7-8 year career and decides to retire at 30 to preserve his health, but that's a thought for down the road.

Dude I watched all his games at A&M and was super nervous that he wouldn't last to pick #8 with us because I knew he would be an excellent NFL QB.

Of course I'm biased, RT's career has been rocky but he's arrived now and is only improving like he always does.
So, just curious on this... before Daniel Jones was drafted, you claimed you liked him because he went to Duke and admitted to us that you didnt watch college football. But, then a decade ago, you were a dedicated Texas A&M fan???

This is well-presented.

I disagree, as people will, about your portrayal of Tua's potential return to form. I certainly believe you're erring on the side of pessimism with "just in case" he returns to form - that makes it seem like a long shot, when all indicators thus far are positive.

However, I am firmly entrenched on your side of the issue with #6 and 7 in MOST cases. Build the lines first, then go get your guy at QB. The question here is: "Is a heathy Tua good enough to reverse that line of thinking? Is he potentially THAT good that you want him as your QB no matter what? Go get Tua, let him sit a year or half a year while Fitz starts, and build your lines with the rest of your picks and oodles of cap room? Is the potential payoff worth the injury risk? Is the juice worth the squeeze? Do the Dolphins have the assets to potentially pull ALL of this off over the next two years? Fix the QB position, the O-Line, the D-Line, and have the other areas competent enough to make this team a threat in 2021 and a legit contender in 2022? Is it worth the risk to shoot for that goal?"

I believe the answer to all of this is yes.

There's another thought in my head that Tua stands a decent chance of being a guy who has a good 7-8 year career and decides to retire at 30 to preserve his health, but that's a thought for down the road.

It seems not many here like to entertain 'maybe's' or 'likely's.' So far, reports make it likely Tua will return to form. There are no tests or exams to determine likelihood of re-injury. Too many seem to argue he WILL return to form with no mention of re-injury risk. OTOH, many seem to overstate the likelihood of 'never being the same' and overstate the risk of re-injury is great. I agree - indications are good, but no guarantees. I agree - the possibility of NOT returning to form exists and the risk of re-injury exists. I wish this debate would be excluded until more is known, but that's obviously unrealistic

You act as though Tua doesn't have flaws. Forgetting the hip injury, I still question his ability to read the field, his Overall desire to play, and his durability. He made his reputation off of two basic throws that really aren't all that available in the NFL. Tua has plenty to prove, assuming he can return to anywhere near his original form.
What makes you queston his ability to read the field?? Desire to play?

It seems not many here like to entertain 'maybe's' or 'likely's.' So far, reports make it likely Tua will return to form. There are no tests or exams to determine likelihood of re-injury. Too many seem to argue he WILL return to form with no mention of re-injury risk. OTOH, many seem to overstate the likelihood of 'never being the same' and overstate the risk of re-injury is great. I agree - indications are good, but no guarantees. I agree - the possibility of NOT returning to form exists and the risk of re-injury exists. I wish this debate would be excluded until more is known, but that's obviously unrealistic

Of course. Nobody *really* knows. It's just listening to informed opinions at this point, or in some cases (not this one), just randomly making things up. But those are fairly self evident.

It's still going to be a risk in April, even if Tua lights up the combine and/or his pro day. It just seems a risk worth taking. If it doesn't work, you're still rebuilding a team, and you get the next QB. But I'd rather swing for the fences to try for the home run than take a third strike with the bat on my shoulder.

A well stated and effectively focused post.

I hope it is not beyond that other posters "comprehension".

Of course. Nobody *really* knows. It's just listening to informed opinions at this point, or in some cases (not this one), just randomly making things up. But those are fairly self evident.

It's still going to be a risk in April, even if Tua lights up the combine and/or his pro day. It just seems a risk worth taking. If it doesn't work, you're still rebuilding a team, and you get the next QB. But I'd rather swing for the fences to try for the home run than take a third strike with the bat on my shoulder.

I'd settle for a double with a run batted in!

So, just curious on this... before Daniel Jones was drafted, you claimed you liked him because he went to Duke and admitted to us that you didnt watch college football. But, then a decade ago, you were a dedicated Texas A&M fan???

RT was the only QB prospect I ever really "scouted", which is probably why I like him so much. A decade ago I was in college and had more free time.

What's funny is I also really liked RW because I remember his int rate was so incredibly low in college which is very important to me, but now the guy gets so much praise I can't stand it and he really isn't elite come playoff time.

With the 8th pick in the draft that year, needing a QB and basically knowing RT was the 3rd guy, I had a good feeling we would get the opportunity @ 8 so I wanted to know more about the guy so I retroactively watched basically all of his games on youtube.

RT was a unique prospect because he had ALL the physical ability to play the position at an elite level imo but he lacked experience which is always a risk, he was an excellent student also so he's probably very smart so yes I was thrilled when we drafted him.

All it took was him leaving Miami to "break out" lol, but imo he "broke out" in 2016 with Gase but we don't need to get into all that.

And yea I don't need college football, we've got lil Vernon Carey now who is f****** DOPE! HAHA Carolina!

Last edited:
You act as though Tua doesn't have flaws. Forgetting the hip injury, I still question his ability to read the field, his Overall desire to play, and his durability. He made his reputation off of two basic throws that really aren't all that available in the NFL. Tua has plenty to prove, assuming he can return to anywhere near his original form.

Without getting too much into this, if you really don't think he reads the field well and has made his reputation on two throws, I am of the semi-humble opinion that you need to look harder.

Tua not only works through his progressions and processes coverage very, very quickly, he also baits LB and safeties with his eyes and footwork to help receivers get open. It's one of his best traits.

I wouldn't expect Tua to take part in the combine. He might be there for interviews and off the field stuff but I doubt he's there to get out on the field. That's way to soon and he'd have nothing to gain and a lot to lose if he gets hurt by trying to get out there too soon.

Back
Top Bottom