Miami Dolphins rumored to be working on a trade with the Redskins | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins rumored to be working on a trade with the Redskins

RT was the only QB prospect I ever really "scouted", which is probably why I like him so much. A decade ago I was in college and had more free time.

What's funny is I also really liked RW because I remember his int rate was so incredibly low in college which is very important to me, but now the guy gets so much praise I can't stand it and he really isn't elite come playoff time.

With the 8th pick in the draft that year, needing a QB and basically knowing RT was the 3rd guy, I had a good feeling we would get the opportunity @ 8 so I wanted to know more about the guy so I retroactively watched basically all of his games on youtube.

RT was a unique prospect because he had ALL the physical ability to play the position at an elite level imo but he lacked experience which is always a risk, he was an excellent student also so he's probably very smart so yes I was thrilled when we drafted him.

All it took was him leaving Miami to "break out" lol, but imo he "broke out" in 2016 with Gase but we don't need to get into all that.

And yea I don't need college football, we've got lil Vernon Carey now who is f****** DOPE! HAHA Carolina!
Gotchya. Thanks for the explanation

I wouldn't expect Tua to take part in the combine. He might be there for interviews and off the field stuff but I doubt he's there to get out on the field. That's way to soon and he'd have nothing to gain and a lot to lose if he gets hurt by trying to get out there too soon.

He stated on 1/30 that he was going to throw at the combine.

The Eagles made two trades up in the draft to get Carson Wentz.
True, obviously not every trade either team makes is a trade down; but I live in Phila territory and all those fans talk about is their trade downs. And trading up for a QB is certainly something one would expect their team to do- and maybe we will after all. I was just saying for the most part, if you follow Phila and NE drafts, they trade down and accumulate picks frequently and are known for it.

Just a thought....

Redskins do not have an immediate need for a pass rusher. They do have a HUGE need for a couple of cornerbacks and a WR to help out the rookie QB. They just released Josh Norman (and are expected to release WR, Paul Richardson).

Okudah is supposed to be better than Marshon Lattimore who was rookie of the year a few years back. They could surprise everyone and pass on Young in favor of Okudah.

But...if they trade down to 5, they likely lose out on both players. At that point the best value might be CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy or they could go with Simmons, who can also play DB and LB, which also fills a big need. They could then take a corner with the other pick they get in the trade. They do have options and a lot of needs.

True, obviously not every trade either team makes is a trade down; but I live in Phila territory and all those fans talk about is their trade downs. And trading up for a QB is certainly something one would expect their team to do- and maybe we will after all. I was just saying for the most part, if you follow Phila and NE drafts, they trade down and accumulate picks frequently and are known for it.
Yeah, that is probably the best way to approach the draft. I would never trade up in the first round for any other position than a QB. When it comes to the QB, throw that philosophy out the window. Move up to where ever you need to and get your guy. The cost will be great, but if you hit on the QB the reward is worth the price.

It will take 2 number 1s and a number 2 to move to second pick. Redskins may trade it as they can draft a CB or WR at number 5. It will cost us dearly in picks. Redskins will sit still unless they get 2 number 1s and next years number 2.

It will take 2 number 1s and a number 2 to move to second pick. Redskins may trade it as they can draft a CB or WR at number 5. It will cost us dearly in picks. Redskins will sit still unless they get 2 number 1s and next years number 2.
Sounds good to me. Get it done!

Of course. Nobody *really* knows. It's just listening to informed opinions at this point, or in some cases (not this one), just randomly making things up. But those are fairly self evident.

It's still going to be a risk in April, even if Tua lights up the combine and/or his pro day. It just seems a risk worth taking. If it doesn't work, you're still rebuilding a team, and you get the next QB. But I'd rather swing for the fences to try for the home run than take a third strike with the bat on my shoulder.

I like your use of "risk" rather than 'gambling.' There's a difference.
I'm uncomfortable with "swing for the fences.' As you know, that swing seldom accomplishes it's goal. I prefer shooting for singles and doubles. May stumble onto a home run, but the odds of success are higher. In this case, I want a top 10 QB. Yes, I'd LOVE an elite QB and, if Tua is the pick, Miami may get the elite QB. But top 10 is still quite good.

At this time on 2/14/2020 I think a trade up with the Redskins at worst will cost #5, 18, and 70. Still leaving with Miami with #2, 26, 39, 56 and a possible comp 3 for James. Still 5 picks in the first 2 days and a guarantee of a QB with the #2 pick.

That doesn't guarantee he will
No it doesn't, and to be honest, if he's not ready to drive the ball with authority, he would be a fool to throw at all. All it would do is magnify any question marks.

Better for him to say he's not ready, than say he is, if he isn't.

No it doesn't, and to be honest, if he's not ready to drive the ball with authority, he would be a fool to throw at all. All it would do is magnify any question marks.

Better for him to say he's not ready, than say he is, if he isn't.
right I totally agree. Like I said, he's 99% sure to go top 5 anyway. Why take a chance on looking bad and see your stock go down when there's no rush? The draft is in April so he'd still have a chance to show what he can do at his pro day.

I was listening to the draft dudes break down the impending FA and draft class of QB and trying to marry them up with prospective teams. It became clear during their analysis that there are more QBs available than starting spots for those out there, that's great for us, the guys couldn't even find a home for Winston.

If we look at our competition for Tua:

• Washington - Highly unlikely that they pass up on Young and take Tua when they still don't know what they have with their hand picked guy in Haskins, think we can rule them out for taking him and probably even entertaining a trade as they would miss out on Young.
  • Detroit - Despite the nonsense coming out, financially they can't move on from Stafford this year, they have way too many holes to fill to spend a top 3 pick on a QB that may not play in 2020. Their HC and GM need to win now, Stafford was playing well until he went down, they are not taking a QB there but would be very open to a trade up.
  • Carolina - They've lost a lot of talent lately, they are far from being a contender, just employed a HC that is a team builder, feels like they are ripping things up to start again. They may want to do it behind a young QB but is this a year too early for them, much like us we weren't ready for the QB of the future this year. Their line is an absolute mess right now, that's one of the reasons Newton has not stayed healthy, putting Tua in behind that is a recipe for disaster. They don't have the draft capital and cap space to be able to do what we can and build a line this year as well as spending what they need to to jump us for Tua. In an ideal world for them if he fell into their laps they would love him but I really don't see how they can afford to jump ahead of us.
  • Chargers - Talking about bad O Lines, Chargers is terrible, again they don't have the draft capital or cap space to be able to fix the line and move up to take Tua, they also need to win now, they have a talented team and a coach that's leash is shortening in a town where they are clearly the 2nd team, they need to make a splash, giving up draft stock to move for a injured QB is probably not wise.
  • Raiders - They've got the draft capital especially if they can move Carr on for a first or second, they are perhaps our biggest danger, Tua is the intelligent QB Gruden will favour however he's tended to go with vets and moving to a new city, there is a need to win now. They have no 2nd rounder this year so the best deal they could give (if they don't move Carr) is 2 firsts this year and another first next year, but that first 1 is 12. We can easily beat that by giving up just 5, 1c and probably 2b, not a lot.
  • Bucs, Indy, Saints, Pats, anyone else - Way too far back without the capital to be able to jump us.

At the end of the day if you look at it logically there is little to no competition for us, any competition we have is easily beatable with the assets available to us. Holding our nerve and staying at 5 is entirely possible, once the dust settles on FA we will have a clearer idea of what we need to do. There are some things that can torpedo us such as Stafford being done in Detroit, Washington deciding to take a leaf from Zona's book and passing on Young or the Raiders getting a lot of assets for Carr. This is one big poker game right now, hope we are on our game and don't get suckered in but don't risk losing out on the prize.

Last edited:
right I totally agree. Like I said, he's 99% sure to go top 5 anyway. Why take a chance on looking bad and see your stock go down when there's no rush? The draft is in April so he'd still have a chance to show what he can do at his pro day.
I'm not so sure as some that he is a lock to go top 5. Obviously, if Grier/Flo feel he's "the guy", then yes, but I'm not so sure that they don't have other plans. What those other plans may be is hard to say, but I could see a few different scenarios.

I was listening to the draft dudes break down the impending FA and draft class of QB and trying to marry them up with prospective teams. It became clear during their analysis that there are more QBs available than starting spots for those out there, that's great for us, the guys couldn't even find a home for Winston.

If we look at our competition for Tua:

• Washington - Highly unlikely that they pass up on Young and take Tua when they still don't know what they have with their hand picked guy in Haskins, think we can rule them out for taking him and probably even entertaining a trade as they would miss out on Young.
  • Detroit - Despite the nonsense coming out, financially they can't move on from Stafford this year, they have way too many holes to fill to spend a top 3 pick on a QB that may not play in 2020. Their HC and GM need to win now, Stafford was playing well until he went down, they are not taking a QB there but would be very open to a trade up.
  • Carolina - They've lost a lot of talent lately, they are far from being a contender, just employed a HC that is a team builder, feels like they are ripping things up to start again. They may want to do it behind a young QB but is this a year too early for them, much like us we weren't ready for the QB of the future this year. Their line is an absolute mess right now, that's one of the reasons Newton has not stayed healthy, putting Tua in behind that is a recipe for disaster. They don't have the draft capital and cap space to be able to do what we can and build a line this year as well as spending what they need to to jump us for Tua. In an ideal world for them if he fell into their laps they would love him but I really don't see how they can afford to jump ahead of us.
  • Chargers - Talking about bad O Lines, Chargers is terrible, again they don't have the draft capital or cap space to be able to fix the line and move up to take Tua, they also need to win now, they have a talented team and a coach that's leash is shortening in a town where they are clearly the 2nd team, they need to make a splash, giving up draft stock to move for a injured QB is probably not wise.
  • Raiders - They've got the draft capital especially if they can move Carr on for a first or second, they are perhaps our biggest danger, Tua is the intelligent QB Gruden will favour however he's tended to go with vets and moving to a new city, there is a need to win now. They have no 2nd rounder this year so the best deal they could give (if they don't move Carr) is 2 firsts and another first next, but that first 1 is 12. We can easily beat that by giving up just 5, 1c and probably 2b, not a lot.
  • Bucs, Indy, Saints, Pats, anyone else - Way too far back without the capital to be able to jump us.

At the end of the day if you look at it logically there is little to no competition for us, any competition we have is easily beatable with the assets available to us. Holding our nerve and staying at 5 is entirely possible, once the dust settles on FA we will have a clearer idea of what we need to do. There are some things that can torpedos us such as Stafford being done in Detroit, Washington deciding to take a leaf from Zona's book and passing on Young or the Raiders getting a lot of assets for Carr. This is one big poker game right now, hope we are on our game and don't get suckered in but don't risk losing out on the prize.
Great post.

Back
Top Bottom