Miami Dolphins Scheme Changes Will Be Challenging Says Grier | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Scheme Changes Will Be Challenging Says Grier

I don't think we'll run a 3-4 on every single down like we did 10 years ago. Flores will switch things up. As far as the players we'll need, we'd need at least 6 new D-line players and at least 6 or 7 new LB's. That is including back ups of course. The main thing here of course is finding the NT and at least one but really two edge players that can rush the QB. Like the article said, we have this off season to start getting those players and the 2020 off season to get the rest of them.
^
This....

3-4...4-3...it often doesn't matter anymore. If anybody thinks that you can be successful deploying continuously one of these base defenses you might want to time warp back.
According to BB they only play 10-15% in their base defense alignment.

If you want to know what to expect you should read this article:
http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2018/08/do_new_england_patriots_run_a.html

I don't believe the patriots invested higher than 3rd round picks in any of their front on the los players so does Miami mirror that or considering how many pieces we need to run multiple front looks (and again I'm thinking light in the pants or undersized are too limited in what they can do for you scheme wise from a versatility stand point which is what multiple front looks is about) invest high draft capitol in it?

if scheme is gonna do most the pass rush driving with few exceptions doesn't seem to me investing high draft capitol in it would be the way to go. my concern would be overdrafting for need. might be better to invest in ideal frames and developmental upside types. just something to spit ball I guess.

I don't believe the patriots invested higher than 3rd round picks in any of their front on the los players so does Miami mirror that or considering how many pieces we need to run multiple front looks (and again I'm thinking light in the pants or undersized are too limited in what they can do for you scheme wise from a versatility stand point which is what multiple front looks is about) invest high draft capitol in it?

if scheme is gonna do most the pass rush driving with few exceptions doesn't seem to me investing high draft capitol in it would be the way to go. my concern would be overdrafting for need. might be better to invest in ideal frames and developmental upside types. just something to spit ball I guess.

Jones, no longer with the team obv, was a 1st, and M. Brown was a 1st, as well. In general, though, their scheme allows them to get their guys later, because they don't fit on a lot of teams/are seen as tweeners. I did have a 2nd on Flowers, though.

right. converted edges to off the los lbs in the pats system. and like you said josh allen no chance. most of those types get drafted as 34 olbs fail there and then get kicked to off the los lbs to try and rescue their careers. exceptions obviously but to use high draft capitol on that is highly projection based. it's easy to project josh allen for the ask cause of his joy stick movement skills and barr has nfl space tape play too but I think I'd be getting the poa and win the los on the los ask fits frame and game wise with my high picks in year 1 .

and I know you don't like rashan gary and I don't much like his outside shoulder win at the next level but I could see Miami viewing him as it's jumbo version of trey flowers with more inside scheme ask versatility and letting the scheme drive the pass rush over the pure edge outside shoulder win talent. we need more physical power players so we don't get our asses kicked at the los every time we face a physical front. we are soft. term I would use is finesse. of course there are other options for the ask too which wont cost you as much draft capitol.

For one of the old guys, what do you mean joy stick movements???

Last edited:
Could Harris be a realistic option to fill the Hightower role? They have similar physical makeup and both ran sub-par 40’s.

He would give you some edge rush ability. I guess the question is can he play the LB position effectively.

Could Harris be a realistic option to fill the Hightower role? They have similar physical makeup and both ran sub-par 40’s.

He would give you some edge rush ability. I guess the question is can he play the LB position effectively.

4.68 at 6'2 265 is pretty good and a ways away from 4.82 at 6'3 253. Even if it were similar, though, Harris has no LB experience.

Jones, no longer with the team obv, was a 1st, and M. Brown was a 1st, as well. In general, though, their scheme allows them to get their guys later, because they don't fit on a lot of teams/are seen as tweeners. I did have a 2nd on Flowers, though.

pats declined the 5th year option on brown last offseason I believe. he's been ok nothing special imo. tweeners as in between de and dt size I would think is what you mean. that 275- 285 range types. borderline 5 techs vs 43 de's etc. I would think they'd lean more closely to the 5 tech type frame.

maybe pursue one premium finish pass rusher talent and do the rest with scheme on guys who have the frame and they feel will develop in the pros etc. kinda like projects. I don't think there's a place for 250 in the front. other than maybe a situational rusher type and that definitely wouldn't be worth high draft pick investment imo for us if we were gonna mirror the pats

pats declined the 5th year option on brown last offseason I believe. he's been ok nothing special imo. tweeners as in between de and dt size I would think is what you mean. that 275- 285 range types. borderline 5 techs vs 43 de's etc. I would think they'd lean more closely to the 5 tech type frame.

maybe pursue one premium finish pass rusher talent and do the rest with scheme on guys who have the frame and they feel will develop in the pros etc. kinda like projects. I don't think there's a place for 250 in the front. other than maybe a situational rusher type and that definitely wouldn't be worth high draft pick investment imo for us if we were gonna mirror the pats

Yes, that's what I was referring to, and I agree with your assessment of the asset allocation.

I still think we look for edge rushers with scheme flexibility at the top of the draft. Not going to be surprising if we go DE/OLB hybrid with picks in rounds 1 and 2 if we keep our picks in those rounds. I'm expecting our defense to be DB heavy, and that's where our strength is roster-wise (Howard, Fitzpatrick, McCain all good young'ish DB's). Since we'll be playing 5 or 6 DB's most of the time, it will be interesting to see how our secondary shakes out. But regardless, we'll need DL, with edge rushers being the priority, IMHO.

I still think we look for edge rushers with scheme flexibility at the top of the draft. Not going to be surprising if we go DE/OLB hybrid with picks in rounds 1 and 2 if we keep our picks in those rounds. I'm expecting our defense to be DB heavy, and that's where our strength is roster-wise (Howard, Fitzpatrick, McCain all good young'ish DB's). Since we'll be playing 5 or 6 DB's most of the time, it will be interesting to see how our secondary shakes out. But regardless, we'll need DL, with edge rushers being the priority, IMHO.
Watch out for Jalen Davis next year...kid flashed

Watch out for Jalen Davis next year...kid flashed
Yes he did, and honestly, Tankersley needs to be worried. Tank had the inside track for the starting CB2 slot, but he was outplayed last year by Davis. And I'm confident we'll have a long procession of new CB's marking through camp as well, so Tank needs to get it together sooner rather than later, because Davis is likely to improve.

Davis needs an nfl body for contact. Big offseason for him. Get stronger and more physical. Have to be more physical in the slot and a sure tackler. Cut tackler in 18

I’m gonna take a look at the kid Nelson’s tape. I like the senior bowl showing. He looks like he will be in someone’s rotation to me next year. The bc kid Allen looks real sluggish.

Nelson is 21 too and came out early. Like it

Last edited:
Dre'Mont Jones is another potential fit as an odd-front DE. More of a 3-tech at OSU, but he appears to have the length and athleticism to thrive as a 4/5. Very good player.

Back
Top Bottom