Miami Dolphins See Davon Godchaux As Dt Who Can Handle Double Teams | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins See Davon Godchaux As Dt Who Can Handle Double Teams

The average fan can't name the DTs for the last few Super Bowl winners. You know why? You don't need superstar DTs to win a Super Bowl. We need competence at the position. Anything else is gravy. It's the ol' Jay Fiedler plan: We don't need you to win the game for us, just don't lose the mudda sucka.

I don't care if Davon never becomes a pass rushing DT. If he can take on double teams and clog the lanes, that's good enough for me. Crucial late game drives where the opponent has to convert a 3rd & short is where his value will truly sign if he's able to be a rock in the middle.

Was going to say the same thing. We should be ecstatic that we're getting decent production at all from a 5th round pick.

I am unsure of how he is overrated considering we are all aware that interior DL is one of our weaknesses this season. I have faith in both of them to be suitable, and I think that is all we need. No one is going around toting our line as some sort of weapon of the defense. Exterior I think we have some very good talent (Quinn/Wake/Harris) but we are all crossing our fingers in that our DL can hold up inside.

Overrated....psssh...

Could not conceivably disagree more. He might be the most UNDERRATED player.

Yea, love Godchaux, very stout at the point of attack. I thought he was a steal before he played a snap for us, glad he proved me right. Hope he wins the starting job next to Phillips, who I also thought played well last year and will continue to improve.

This is great news, because you can see Godchaux has a good head on his shoulders to go with good skills, if it also lights a fire under Phillips, that will be huge, because Phillips could have special abilities for the position (He moves around like a LB).

If Godchaux becomes the workhorse that he seems to be turning into, and Phillips reaches that high ceiling that his skill tell us he has...this is a very imposing pair in the middle of the D-line.

To be honest, he doesn't need to be great he just needs to be effective doing his job. If he can demand double teams, that is awesome as it frees others to make plays! Suh was great, demanded double teams, but also freelanced too much and bull rushed himself completely out of plays and gaps, losing integrity. I really don't think we will miss him or Landry as much as everyone thinks and they definitely were not team leaders!

The DT position was bad with Suh here. So I can't imagine it get any better without him? As for Godchaux let's hope the off season did him well, if he's able to take on double teams with consistency, there should be a chance for defensive improvement. Someone needs to step up at DT. If no one is able to hold double teams this defense will be a sieve!!! Teams will run all over them. Where are Tim Bowens and Larry Chester when you need them. Miami unfortunately needs those exact types for it to be successful on defense. I just don't see it.

Currently the most overrated player on the roster.
Not saying he can't be a star but all this praise is based on perception rather than what he has done.
Who’s over rating him? Seems like most on here chalk him up to being about average with room to grow

Someone needs to step up. Hey Jordan Phillips are you listening or are you too busy stuffing your face at the all you can eat buffet? Why don't you start playing to your potential for once instead of making one good play then disappearing for the next 40.

Currently the most overrated player on the roster.
Not saying he can't be a star but all this praise is based on perception rather than what he has done.

Nothing in the article supports what you posted.
Godchaux is being touted as a key cog in the defense, not a budding superstar. Successful teams need a core of players that are solid and do their jobs within the defensive scheme. Godchaux is that type of player.

The average fan can't name the DTs for the last few Super Bowl winners. You know why? You don't need superstar DTs to win a Super Bowl. We need competence at the position. Anything else is gravy. It's the ol' Jay Fiedler plan: We don't need you to win the game for us, just don't lose the mudda sucka.

I don't care if Davon never becomes a pass rushing DT. If he can take on double teams and clog the lanes, that's good enough for me. Crucial late game drives where the opponent has to convert a 3rd & short is where his value will truly sign if he's able to be a rock in the middle.
Absolutely brother, what's with the hate from some of these fellow posters because of the praise for a kid taken in the 5th round and played well enough to start. Some of the fans are unbelievable.

I've got Taylor as my hopeful to replace Suh. Mostly based off his run grade.

Godchaux gives me a Lorenzo Bromell vibe, in that he came out of nowhere and showed promise his first year and then slid off precipitously.

I'm not that hyped period, but I'm still glad we waited till next year to get our DT. This year's class was meh.

886a5ea0f0ba5f86aa01f999270f457cf57345a1c0d7a03f2d07d4d252926a1b
Sorry, too deep huh?

Nothing in the article supports what you posted.
Godchaux is being touted as a key cog in the defense, not a budding superstar. Successful teams need a core of players that are solid and do their jobs within the defensive scheme. Godchaux is that type of player.

Nothing in the post supports that he is over rated? I would hope not. How do you even show that?

I meant he is over rated based on the perception of fans on this board, and also the media if they are saying he has a lot of potential.

He is a run of the mill player, and has shown that ability thus far, nothing more. The empirical data and the games he has played has shown that much. Hopefully I am wrong and he can be more than just a backup DT.

Only in FH could the 3rd string DT of a porous D Line be revered as "under rated."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom