Miami Dolphins Should Steer Clear Of Qb Kyler Murray | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Should Steer Clear Of Qb Kyler Murray

Sure, they'd give him a shot but not a multi-million-dollar shot. You really think he'd sacrifice millions of dollars, because the media was giving him a hard time?
I think the baseball alternative is a negative factor.
It’s not inconceivable that Murray plays 1-2 seasons of football - gets beat up and turns to baseball. Most players don’t have that option- 2 factors drive players: money and love for the game.

Murray can satisfy both of these via baseball - and it’s unique to Murray. It’s a risk. That’s all. Throw it in the assessment pot and do what you will.

Granted, all I do is watch a few highlight videos but Kyler Murray doesn't look impressive to me. Couple that with the uncertainty and size and I wouldn't touch him in the first.

So far for me Drew Locke is the guy I'd target, again just based off highlight packages. Has a cannon, has a good looking release and he seems to know when to hold it, when to get rid of it quick and when to use his legs.

Kyler has the talent to change a team imho. The Oakland A's felt the same way, using the 9th overall pick on him. A pick they may end up losing, but it was worth the gamble. Baseball scouts say besides the speed, his swing is incredible.

I'd say do whatever it takes to get him in Miami, develop him, put enough pieces around him, and make it hard for him to want to go back to baseball. If he just loves baseball more regardless, then fine. At least you tried. It would only be the 2nd time the Dolphins drafted a QB in the 1st round since Marino retired. Gotta keep taking swings. No pun intended. Ok, maybe a little.

Last edited:
https://www.mlb.com/athletics/news/kyler-murray-signs-with-athletics/c-281361954

OAKLAND -- The reasonable hesitation that accompanied thoughts of selecting a two-sport athlete surely infiltrated the A's Draft room. Billy Beane sensed it.

"Everyone was sort of dancing around the obvious," Oakland's vice president of baseball operations said. "I knew who they really wanted, but they were fearful of sort of dealing with the whole football issue."

The talent at stake: Oklahoma Sooner standout Kyler Murray. The risk at stake: Murray wished to succeed Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield at quarterback in the fall before resuming baseball.

The novelty of it all scared off other teams, agent Scott Boras said. The A's, though, were enamored with his athleticism.

"And probably about 36 hours before the Draft, I was talking to David [Forst]," Beane said, "and I said, 'We should take Kyler Murray; that's who everyone wants to take.'

"Everyone kind of looked at me as if [asking], 'Is that OK?' And I said, 'Yeah, we're going to do it. If it's the best player, we're going to take him.' I think it really energized everyone. No one really wanted to mention the whole football thing and I said, 'Hey, listen guys. In January, we're going to be really excited that this kid is playing for the Oakland A's. We're going to be hitting ourselves in January if we haven't taken this kid.' That's when we called Scott, and it happened pretty quickly."

Miami Dolphins should move up to top of the draft for a QB. They don't need to draft Murray. There are two other quarterbacks. They just need to get one of them. To do that, they need to move up to #2.

I think the baseball alternative is a negative factor.
It’s not inconceivable that Murray plays 1-2 seasons of football - gets beat up and turns to baseball. Most players don’t have that option- 2 factors drive players: money and love for the game.

Murray can satisfy both of these via baseball - and it’s unique to Murray. It’s a risk. That’s all. Throw it in the assessment pot and do what you will.

Either Murray will show the promise of a great QB by that point, or it won't matter what he does. Do you think, if he chooses football, that he'll walk away when he's broken out or is on the cusp of breaking out? Again, if he chooses baseball, his opportunity at a decent first contract in the NFL is done. If he chooses football, his opportunity at a decent first contract in the MLB is done. There's no middle ground on this issue.

Assuming he chooses football, for him to quit and go play baseball, he'd lose millions to play for peanuts in the minor leagues. If you're factoring that into your plausible scenarios, don't forget car accidents and lightning strikes.

Everyone keeps saying MLB when referring to baseball. The problem with baseball is that it's not like football where if your good out of collage it's straight to the NFL. There is a minor league system where these players are just as good, fast, and strong as you are. If you take a look at a MLB draft and the first round picks on any given year a great percentage of those guy you will never have heard of. There is no guarantee of the highest level in baseball (MLB) as there is in football where every first rounder will have a developing opportunity in the NFL

They’d give him a shot and if he’s great, he’d get his multi millions.
If the media gives him a hard time it would be because he was struggling. Some guys can handle it and some guys can’t. You may recall a guy named Ryan Leaf. The difference is, Murray has baseball to fall back on and he’s damn good at it.
You obviously want to keep up this spitting contest.
Let me summarize my position succinctly. There are too many negatives for me to gamble away the 13th pick in the draft if I’m an NFL GM.
You obviously don’t agree with me. That’s fine.

Fair point but bad example - Ryan Leaf was an asshole and had red flags from before he was drafted. Murray 's only crime (as it does seem at times that he's being treated like a criminal) is being good at two sports and prematurely leaning to one of them. There's nothing to suggest that he is unprofessional or will not be committed to whatever he chooses.

I'm not particularly interested in drafting him at #13, but that's to do with other factors. There is an extremely unfair narrative that seems to be being pushed that he's going to pack his bags and go running for the MLB the first time he gets sacked. Sure if he fails he can pull a Tebow and try out at baseball, but it seems this kid is being unfairly judged.

This is all about money with him he prefers baseball and is using the nfl as leverage to get more coin. I’ll pass

I wouldn't be mad if we passed on QB this season and brought Ostweiler back for two years.

One for tanking purposes and one for bridging purposes. Hopefully, we can trade him soon thereafter for something...anything.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!!!!?!?!?!? I would consider killing myself if I had to sit through 2 f***ing years of Osweiler. Give me Fales, Falk, hell give me Jake Rudock... PLEASE no Osweiler. I would be madder than Michael Scott when Toby came back.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!!!!?!?!?!? I would consider killing myself if I had to sit through 2 f***ing years of Osweiler. Give me Fales, Falk, hell give me Jake Rudock... PLEASE no Osweiler. I would be madder than Michael Scott when Toby came back.
If you are going to tank...might as well REALLY tank.

Yeah I’m with you. I’ll watch anyone except Osweiler and Cutler.

I agree. Anyone but Osweiler or Tannehill. I want to see what Falk or Rudock can do.

If the media gives him a hard time it would be because he was struggling. Some guys can handle it and some guys can’t. You may recall a guy named Ryan Leaf. The difference is, Murray has baseball to fall back on and he’s damn good at it.
Let me summarize my position succinctly. There are too many negatives for me to gamble away the 13th pick in the draft if I’m an NFL GM.

Its not real easy to play major league baseball to begin with. Its really not easy to just take off 2-3 years and pick it back up. Sure some teams will give him a chance but it would be a chance in A ball haha hes sort of a work in progress as a baseball player right now anyways. Taking 2-3 three off would be a death nail IMO.

They would give him a shot. But multi millions wouldnt come for years in baseball. Like a lot of years. so he would be leaving a ton of money on the board. He would be leaving millions a year, for a $1500 a month paycheck for a couple years.

Back
Top Bottom