Miami Dolphins still have decent cap space | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins still have decent cap space

There is an article in the Miami Herald that I don’t want to pay for but it talks about how the Dolphins have less cap space than originally thought because of their free agent signings. Does anybody have any insight?

Yes, because the contract of Lawson has more up front 2020 money against the cap than initially thought.

The Dolphins have structured new edge player Shaq Lawson’s contract in a way that his 2020 cap hit is substantial, it was learned Sunday. His $10.3 million cap hit for 2020 is larger than expected and lowers Miami’s available cap space to about $32 million.

Last edited:
There is an article in the Miami Herald that I don’t want to pay for but it talks about how the Dolphins have less cap space than originally thought because of their free agent signings. Does anybody have any insight?
It’s just Barry making a mountain out of a molehill because Lawson’s cap hit will be 10.333 million this year instead of the expected 10.0 million. He must have had nothing else to write about this morning.

It’s just Barry making a mountain out of a molehill because Lawson’s cap hit will be 10.333 million this year instead of the expected 10.0 million. He must have had nothing else to write about this morning.

lol you serious?

We still need two tackles a right guard and a center a free safety a RB and a DT and a pass rusher...I really like the kid from Tennessee...a lot oh and a qb with pick 5

The fact that Albert Wilson hasn't been released yet should lead us to believe both sides are trying to iron out a restructured deal.

There is no hurry to make a decision on him until the start of the actual season. As long as he doesnt open the season on the roster, we can release, trade, or restructure him.
I think the staff wants to see him in camp before they decide...

And as Free Agency has shown, 10 mil is nothing. We can easily afford him.

Yes, because the contract of Lawson has more up front 2020 money against the cap than initially thought.

The Dolphins have structured new edge player Shaq Lawson’s contract in a way that his 2020 cap hit is substantial, it was learned Sunday. His $10.3 million cap hit for 2020 is larger than expected and lowers Miami’s available cap space to about $32 million.

That’s rough. Draft picks will need up to $18 million so the overall cap space is only around $14 million now.

There is no hurry to make a decision on him until the start of the actual season. As long as he doesnt open the season on the roster, we can release, trade, or restructure him.
I think the staff wants to see him in camp before they decide...

And as Free Agency has shown, 10 mil is nothing. We can easily afford him.

I suspect the Dolphins would like to get it done sooner rather than later, most definitely before the draft. If they restructure him and get him under contract, slot receiver is one less need. I really liked his progression at the end of last year, when he finally seemed to fully recover from his injury.

A six-pack of Miami Dolphins notes on a Friday:

▪ Even after spending $235.8 million in free agency this week (including $150 million guaranteed), the Dolphins still have decent 2020 cap space, according to my tabulations and two web sites that measure such things.

According to overthecap.com, the Dolphins still have $50 million in 2020 cap space without counting the nearly $3 million cap hit on linebacker Elandon Roberts, the $4.75 million cap hit on Jordan Howard and new edge player Shaq Lawson’s cap hit, which is not known because the contract has not been submitted and posted on the confidential players association website as of late Friday afternoon, according to a league source.
Thanks for posting Albert! :up:

Back
Top Bottom