Miami Dolphins taking steps to try to avoid more mistakes. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins taking steps to try to avoid more mistakes.

That's fair but the fact they acknowledged the made a few mistakes is refreshing
Yeah, I love that honesty. I have questioned the Dolphin's talent evaluation ability in the past. However, I am more likely to cut them some slack, knowing they realize they have to get better and are looking at themselves for ways to improve. There is an art to it. Hopefully, we will figure it out.

Yeah because that Howard signing and somewhat Brieda too was a huge miss that ended up killing the RB position
They were, but I don't hate the intent of the plan. Howard was too much of a risk, do to history. Brieda? meh, what did it really cost?

I don't think they had any designs on drafting a RB last year, save one of the top guys dropping a lot more than projected. The position was purposely deferred until this draft. Exactly the reason Howard was given a one year deal. As it turned out the stopgap they brought in was totally useless, so a situational role player was asked to carry the load. As that turned out, Gaskin was better than many expected.

Bottom line they, in typical corporate "ISO" standard procedure, are assessing the breakdown in the "flowchart", and attempting to institute a remedy to prevent a repeated mistake.

Last edited:
Yeah it happens but not so bad you have to release the guy in the middle of the season.
It actually happens to every team. Even the royal Patriots traded a pick to Miami for a player (Isaiah Ford) they then released only to have Miami re-sign him. No one could have predicted Howard would have been that bad. I like a team that can admit something isn't going to work and move on from it rather than hanging on to save face. You are going to swing and miss in the NFL, it's life.

As far as our CAP goes, that isn't going to be an issue moving forward as many make it out. We are going to be relieving some of that space in the next year or two. Our current cap hits this year:

Parker Cap hit this year Almost 11 million
Byron Jones 16 million
Flowers 10 million
Lawson 9 million
Van Noy 13.9 million
Howard 13 million

Hard to believe Jones is the 5th highest paid corner this season, and Howard 6th. Parker is 25th highest paid wr this season. Flowers is 7th for left guards. Van Noy arguably 25th among players of his rank which is up there. With the exceptions of Van Noy, it appears the Dolphins are overpaying some players, and at the time in which we signed them there were better options, which I agree with the article in that sense but hindsight is 20/20.

They were, but I don't hate the intent of the plan. Howard was too much of a risk, do to history. Brieda? meh, what did it really cost?

I don't think they had any designs on drafting a RB last year, save one of the top guys dropping a lot more than projected. The position was purposely deferred until this draft. Exactly the reason Howard was given a one year deal. As it turned out the stopgap they brought in was totally useless, so a situational role player was asked to carry the load. As that turned out, Gaskin was better than many expected.

Bottom line they, in typical corporate "ISO" standard procedure, they are assessing the breakdown in the "flowchart", and attempting to institute a remedy to prevent a repeated mistake.

3 million cap hit

3 million cap hit
In a year where the cap was really not an issue. I thought it was 5 million, but in any case, in the reality of the NFL payscale, and dead money, that isn't really a substantial amount. Not nearly as big of a mistake as a longer contract with gaurantees.

Obviously it was poorly spent. At least it wasn't a "good money after bad" situation.

Back
Top Bottom