Miami Dolphins taking steps to try to avoid more mistakes. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins taking steps to try to avoid more mistakes.

In a year where the cap was really not am issue. I thought it was 5 million, but in any case, in the reality of the NFL payscale, and dead money, that isn't really a substantial amount. Not nearly as big of a mistake as a longer contract with gaurantees.

We can hope Jones has a breakout year this season then trade him. His cap hit will be the same until the remainder of his contract.

We can hope Jones has a breakout year this season then trade him. His cap hit will be the same until the remainder of his contract.
A different issue, but yes, he did not perform to his pay.

If he has a breakout year, why would you want to trade him? Two quality cover corners are the main framework of the system.

A different issue, but yes, he did not perform to his pay.

If he has a breakout year, why would you want to trade him? Two quality cover corners are the main framework of the system.

Give Noah the benefit of the doubt. We did the same for Tunsil anyways. Tunsils Cap hit skyrockets to 21million in Houston next year with a 19 hit this year.

Give Noah the benefit of the doubt.
I think Noah will end up being worthy of his draft position, possibly this season. I give Flo the benifit of doubt, for his ability to know what he's looking at with DBs.

Noah gets no such benifit, until he shows me a reason on the field.

If Noah shows it, I still don't know about Jones if, as you say, he has a breakout year. The cap situation is only temporary. Unless you have something against Jones, having 3 very good corners is a good problem to have.

At some point, paying all those corners will be an issue, but probably not for 2 years, and a lot can happen in two years.

Howard had a great season, but his history indicates he is not all that reliable from an injury standpoint.

JMO

I think Noah will end up being worthy of his draft position, possibly this season. I give Flo the benifit of doubt, for his ability to know what he's looking at with DBs.

If Noah shows it, I still don't know about Jones if, as you say, he has a breakout year. The cap situation is only temporary. Unless you have something against Jones, having 3 very good corners is a good problem to have.

At some point, paying all those corners will be an issue, but probably not for 2 years, and a lot can happen in two years.

Howard had a great season, but his history indicates he is not all that reliable from an injury standpoint.

JMO

Whatever push we have as a team we better make it in the shortest span possible. Injuries unfortunately changes things for the players, and mostly for the team. At this moment we don't know who is going to get traded or not. It appears the FO is taking an angle through the draft which is smart. Ideally if Rookies can perform to a high level in day 1 that translates into teams being able to let players who might get more expensive to move on. In terms of impact to the offensive line the most impactful player on that line was actually a guard drafted to play right tackle. And Hunt at Right tackle towards the end of the season ended up ranking 7th among other tackles after week 10. Look at how much money we had to pay him vs the money we payed Flowers at guard for the production he gave us. Hunt was our best ranked offensive lineman on run protection as a tackle. As a guard he would be even more impactful in that area.

Yeah it happens but not so bad you have to release the guy in the middle of the season.
Actually sometimes it happens so bad that the team doesn't have the luxury of doing that bc the player has guarenteed money beyond the first year.

Howard sucked. He sucked hard. But his signing has zero impact on our future. That is when a bad signing becomes a disaster.

Howard is gone and we have the luxury of forgetting he was ever here

Actually sometimes it happens so bad that the team doesn't have the luxury of doing that bc the player has guarenteed money beyond the first year.

Howard sucked. He sucked hard. But his signing has zero impact on our future. That is when a bad signing becomes a disaster.

Howard is gone and we have the luxury of forgetting he was ever here
If only we did have that luxury.

There will be some posters here bitching about Howard 5 years from now.

As far as our CAP goes, that isn't going to be an issue moving forward as many make it out. We are going to be relieving some of that space in the next year or two. Our current cap hits this year:

Parker Cap hit this year Almost 11 million
Byron Jones 16 million
Flowers 10 million
Lawson 9 million
Van Noy 13.9 million
Howard 13 million

Hard to believe Jones is the 5th highest paid corner this season, and Howard 6th. Parker is 25th highest paid wr this season. Flowers is 7th for left guards. Van Noy arguably 25th among players of his rank which is up there. With the exceptions of Van Noy, it appears the Dolphins are overpaying some players, and at the time in which we signed them there were better options, which I agree with the article in that sense but hindsight is 20/20.

Don't like the huge Byron Jones contract especially when he didn't play like someone who deserves that type of contract.

Very hard to hit on all 10 free agents we got last year.
Our cap space is not as high as some people here have been telling us so now people can stop talking about targeting the big names cause we just don't have the space for it.

As far as Moore, I'd rather draft the other Moore(Elijah) as Rondale can't stay healthy.

JMO
To go one step further, I wouldn't be disappointed or surprised if Miami took a corner fairly early in this draft. Perhaps someone with that corner/safety versatility.

The position is that important and Flores recognizes values defensive backs.

They were, but I don't hate the intent of the plan. Howard was too much of a risk, do to history. Brieda? meh, what did it really cost?

I don't think they had any designs on drafting a RB last year, save one of the top guys dropping a lot more than projected. The position was purposely deferred until this draft. Exactly the reason Howard was given a one year deal. As it turned out the stopgap they brought in was totally useless, so a situational role player was asked to carry the load. As that turned out, Gaskin was better than many expected.

Bottom line they, in typical corporate "ISO" standard procedure, are assessing the breakdown in the "flowchart", and attempting to institute a remedy to prevent a repeated mistake.

The breakdown comes from Grier thinking that if the RB position is "devalued" then it "makes sense" to go against the grain and sign vet RBs on the cheap instead of "wasting" draft picks on them. The thing is that regardless of how much you give them, RBs are just a plain bad deal on second contracts. Unless the player actually develops some sort of savvy and is more than just big, fast and strong. Guys who run themselves into contact repeatedly seem to have the steepest declines, like Ajayi, for example.

Back
Top Bottom