Miami Dolphins taking steps to try to avoid more mistakes. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins taking steps to try to avoid more mistakes.

The breakdown comes from Grier thinking that if the RB position is "devalued" then it "makes sense" to go against the grain and sign vet RBs on the cheap instead of "wasting" draft picks on them. The thing is that regardless of how much you give them, RBs are just a plain bad deal on second contracts. Unless the player actually develops some sort of savvy and is more than just big, fast and strong. Guys who run themselves into contact repeatedly seem to have the steepest declines, like Ajayi, for example.

Grier decided that?

The breakdown comes from Grier thinking that if the RB position is "devalued" then it "makes sense" to go against the grain and sign vet RBs on the cheap instead of "wasting" draft picks on them. The thing is that regardless of how much you give them, RBs are just a plain bad deal on second contracts. Unless the player actually develops some sort of savvy and is more than just big, fast and strong. Guys who run themselves into contact repeatedly seem to have the steepest declines, like Ajayi, for example.
Ajay had shredded his knee in 2011, tearing his ACL and suffering significant meniscus damage. His knee was already being referred to as degenerative before the draft. It's the reason he fell as far as he did.

His steep decline wasn't just predictable (regardless of play style), it was predicted.

Jones needs to be restructured. That contract was high,way high imo.The others besides Howard(Jordan) were ok know we would still have alot of space before this Kovid BS.
We can definitely let some of these guys go or restructure them too to open up some more space if we need to.

Jones needs to be restructured. That contract was high,way high imo.The others besides Howard(Jordan) were ok know we would still have alot of space before this Kovid BS.
We can definitely let some of these guys go or restructure them too to open up some more space if we need to.

i would think a restructure would just be more guaranteed money. Or if not more time he’s on your books but at a lower rate.

it’s only been one year but if I get that level play for another year or so I’m gonna want out of that contract sooner the better.

that wasn’t close to what he was paid like return on the field.

jones needs to show up and show out in 2021. Although I feel like that problem with repeat vertical stack is here to stay.

We could, but I'm not sure that backloading restructures is the smart way to go in the long run.

I would be prudent to choose wisely here, and not let a shiney object distract us from the prize.

Our "window" is just starting to open. It's too early to get that "one or two players away" mentality.

With all of our youth, plus more coming in the draft, we are better off keeping our cap situation flexible.

Once you start backloading and gaurantees to too many guys, you are mortgaging the future.

I'm not saying nobody or never, but we arent desperate for cap space.

We already have enough on our plate with extensions to guys we want to lock up. IMO.

i would think a restructure would just be more guaranteed money. Or if not more time he’s on your books but at a lower rate.

it’s only been one year but if I get that level play for another year or so I’m gonna want out of that contract sooner the better.

that wasn’t close to what he was paid like return on the field.

jones needs to show up and show out in 2021. Although I feel like that problem with repeat vertical stack is here to stay.
One thing about corners and pass rushers I've noticed though, is that the salary scale goes up so fast, what is initially seen as overpaying, becomes reasonable, or even cheap two years later.

I do agree. Jones needs to play better, or else he's on a very hot seat.

Ya I agree.Not sure why I say restructure but what I really mean is take a paycut.

Easier said than done.This maybe be 1 of the years to backload a contract or 2 but not sure it's worth it.

Bottom line and to avoid further discussion here Jones needs to play ALOT better.

Yeah because that Howard signing and somewhat Brieda too was a huge miss that ended up killing the RB position
I mean hind sight is always 20/20, most believed that it was a solid signing . You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make em drink. The fact they pulled Ahmed and Washington with the production they gave us was a nice recovery .

One thing to always remember... The ratio of hit to miss on Free Agents is nowhere nearly as high as most think. The change in teams affects some players, getting older affects others... and in the end, if you hit on 50% of what you've signed, you've done pretty well.

One thing to always remember... The ratio of hit to miss on Free Agents is nowhere nearly as high as most think. The change in teams affects some players, getting older affects others... and in the end, if you hit on 50% of what you've signed, you've done pretty well.
If this is true, then why have scouts and personnel people? You could simply have someone flip a coin to determine if you want to sign a player and get the same result.

If this is true, then why have scouts and personnel people? You could simply have someone flip a coin to determine if you want to sign a player and get the same result.
I guess, so that you get a few more right, but nobody gets em all.

Back
Top Bottom