Miami Dolphins Vets 'Impressed' With Former Aggies Star De'Von Achane | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Vets 'Impressed' With Former Aggies Star De'Von Achane

Devon Achane is a big play just waiting to happen. That means we have three game-breakers on our offense which means we are going to have at least 2.5 big plays a game at a minimum.

Achane got so much attention for his dazzling speed that his balance and toughness were overlooked.

He is also putting on weight now that he is no longer training for Track so i expect him to eventually play at around 200 lbs.
IMO the speed almost hurts his draft stock, b/c it's so impressive that people don't see how good he is at everything else. I admit that before I ever watched his film, I was "ehh, another small, fast guy". I honestly believe that many of the draft evals on Achane never got past his size and speed. It wasn't until I dove into the film that I became a fan. If he had been a 210 lb guy with just good but not great speed and had the exact same film, production, etc., he would have a first or second round pick. The speed is obviously a plus, but it blinds people to how good of a football player he is.

Achane got so much attention for his dazzling speed that his balance and toughness were overlooked.

He is also putting on weight now that he is no longer training for Track so i expect him to eventually play at around 200 lbs.

I think 195-200 is realistic, and he already plays with good contact balance. I like that he'll be pretty useful relative to his draft position based on what he already is, but if he can play closer to 200 without losing burst/speed, that puts his ceiling at a different level than a 188 lb RB. Of course, he's reportedly already up to 192.

I think he has room to grow without losing speed. I think his lower weight was probably more about the endurance involved in the 200m.

IMO the speed almost hurts his draft stock, b/c it's so impressive that people don't see how good he is at everything else. I admit that before I ever watched his film, I was "ehh, another small, fast guy". I honestly believe that many of the draft evals on Achane never got past his size and speed. It wasn't until I dove into the film that I became a fan. If he had been a 210 lb guy with just good but not great speed and had the exact same film, production, etc., he would have a first or second round pick. The speed is obviously a plus, but it blinds people to how good of a football player he is.
It’s funny. When I was watching him before the draft I didn’t realize he was only 188 pounds because he broke so many tackles and stayed on his feet when he was taking hits on the sideline. I was shocked when I read he was 188 pounds because he doesn’t play like that at all. Very similar to Warrick Dunn. Dunn never looked like a slight sized running back to me.

Hoping for the best.....he was a playmaker in college so I hope he can make some big plays for us as well

I think 195-200 is realistic, and he already plays with good contact balance. I like that he'll be pretty useful relative to his draft position based on what he already is, but if he can play closer to 200 without losing burst/speed, that puts his ceiling at a different level than a 188 lb RB. Of course, he's reportedly already up to 192.

I think he has room to grow without losing speed. I think his lower weight was probably more about the endurance involved in the 200m.
If Achane gets to that 195-200 range he's basically Jamyr Gibbs, but a better runner.

If Achane gets to that 195-200 range he's basically Jamyr Gibbs, but a better runner.

Agree overall, but I think you have to give Gibbs his due as a receiver. He showed much more in that area than Achane did. A&M held Achane back, but I don't think it's right to assume that he'd produce at the level Gibbs did in that regard, because Gibbs is one of the best receiving backs we've seen - as a prospect.

I disagree here, at 200 lbs I dont think he would be as agile and fast as Gibbs..

I have Gibbs as being in a notch above class overall, which is not bad for a late 3rd.

Agree overall, but I think you have to give Gibbs his due as a receiver. He showed much more in that area than Achane did. A&M held Achane back, but I don't think it's right to assume that he'd produce at the level Gibbs did in that regard, because Gibbs is one of the best receiving backs we've seen - as a prospect.
Agreed that Gibbs is a more polished receiver, but IMO the difference between Gibbs and Achane as a receiver is about as much as the difference between Achane and Gibbs as a runner. And as a prospect I think that Achane's chances of becoming as good of a receiver as Gibbs are better than Gibbs chances of becoming as good of a runner as Achane.

I saw a post today by somebody talking about our RB's and Achane's name wasn't even included.

How much of a factor do small hands play with RBs and receiving skills (and maybe ball security)? Achane has 8.5” hands, which puts him in the 5th-percentile for the position.

Like QB Kenny Pickett (also 8.5” hands), it may not matter.

This guy is a moron….

“Achane is the fourth guy on the Dolphins offense who runs a sub 4.4 40-yard dash. Achane has bulked up to over 190 pounds but still isn’t an every-down back.”

He’s never not been an every down back. He had 38 carries for 215 yards in his last game as an Aggie.

So annoyed by those who characterize him as a third down back or a receiver out of the backfield.
Achane can be the every down back, posters are trying to put him in a box, he reminds me of Curtis Martin.

How much of a factor do small hands play with RBs and receiving skills (and maybe ball security)? Achane has 8.5” hands, which puts him in the 5th-percentile for the position.

Like QB Kenny Pickett (also 8.5” hands), it may not matter.

Hunter Renfrow has 7 7/8" hands. Would prefer bigger hands, but you can have great hands and small hands. He's coordinated and tracks the ball well.

Back
Top Bottom