Miami Dolphins vs AFC Elite teams | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins vs AFC Elite teams

I keep seeing the word elite being thrown out...just being a good QB is not elite. Just having nice numbers is not elite. To me elite is being one of the 2-3 best at your position year in year out, so far that's Mahomes and that's about it.

In the NFL no team is more than two years away b/c things can change quickly. And we don't "need" all of those things to become a SB contender. Reality is that there are no perfect teams in the salary cap era. Every team has holes. If Miami's offense makes a leap and the defense continues then we're already a SB contender. To make that offensive leap, we don't have to fill every hole. Continued development from the very young OL and improved targets could be that leap.

In the NFL no team is more than two years away b/c things can change quickly. And we don't "need" all of those things to become a SB contender. Reality is that there are no perfect teams in the salary cap era. Every team has holes. If Miami's offense makes a leap and the defense continues then we're already a SB contender. To make that offensive leap, we don't have to fill every hole. Continued development from the very young OL and improved targets could be that leap.

Disagree.

Your QB can mask alot of deficiencies, but the caliber of coaching, development and talent level will always matter.

Miami needs to be better upfront in pass protection and running ability. WRS WRS WRS.....Miami is sorely lacking in this area. Its filled with JAGs and no game breakers. TE is adequate because of the embrace of their individuals roles.

After a complete tear down, Miami took a very unique road, rarely traveled. Making that 2 year time line a stretch.

The draft, FA and a trade or 2 can fix alot...but you have to hit each one of those. No misses.

Disagree.

Your QB can mask alot of deficiencies, but the caliber of coaching, development and talent level will always matter.

Miami needs to be better upfront in pass protection and running ability. WRS WRS WRS.....Miami is sorely lacking in this area. Its filled with JAGs and no game breakers. TE is adequate because of the embrace of their individuals roles.

After a complete tear down, Miami took a very unique road, rarely traveled. Making that 2 year time line a stretch.

The draft, FA and a trade or 2 can fix alot...but you have to hit each one of those. No misses.
History disagrees. Reality is that teams turn it around unexpectedly and quickly all the time.

History disagrees. Reality is that teams turn it around unexpectedly and quickly all the time.

History has limited examples of complete foundational rebuilds.

IMHO.....We need the following in order to be elite in the AFC:

1) MUCH improved OL play. That includes improvement from Jackson, both guards and a future RT that isn’t on the roster yet. Not to mention that I wasn’t overly thrilled with Karras this year. This has to be figured out.

2) A good/great RB. While I liked what Gaskin brought to the team this year, he’s not a grinder. We need to spend a high draft choice on a highly regarded RB.

3) A game breaking receiver or two or three. Whether through the draft or through free agency or both......We have to improve here.

4) A cover line backer. I would love to see Parsons taken at 3. But I’m not sure he’s our biggest need. Regardless, we still need a linebacker that can cover and blitz.

5) A good/great DE that can get to the QB. I love that we brought pressure from everywhere this year. But I would love to be able to get to the QB rushing only 4. Not our highest priority....But we could use a guy here.

6) A rangy ball-hawking safety. We could get one in the draft. Maybe pick 2 B.

7) An innovative OC that can call plays downfield once or twice a game. I was not impressed with Gailey this year. Let’s see how the search goes this off-season.

Can we cover this shopping list in one off-season? Probably not. But if the young guys improve and we mix in a savvy vet or two....We’re gonna be tough to beat next year.
Might be able to get most of it.

Not sure there's a dominant pass rusher in this draft. That may have to wait, or you roll the dice on someone like Rousseau maybe at #18.

All of the playoff teams have some distinct weaknesses. If we really were a 10-6 team that just missed the playoffs, then we're positioned well to catch up. But I worry that our league leading takeaways will regress, and our negative yards per play will show through.

Draft well and choose wisely in FA. It's the answer, and always was.

I don’t view anyone elite that hasn’t won anything. Watson is 28-25 in his career with one playoff win. That isn’t elite.
I get that, but I'm not sure it's really fair. Fouts, Marino, Kelly, Tarkenton never won championships.

I get that, but I'm not sure it's really fair. Fouts, Marino, Kelly, Tarkenton never won championships.
Marino won an AFC championship, got to two others, and rewrote the record books. Tarkenton and Kelly had multiple conference championships (and Tarkenton had all the records before Marino). Fouts is the only one on that list to have "not won anything." Take Fouts off the list if you want, but there's no question the other three were elite and have won more than Watson has (as of now).

I don’t view anyone elite that hasn’t won anything. Watson is 28-25 in his career with one playoff win. That isn’t elite.
How quickly people forget Houston was up 24-0 on the eventual Super Bowl champs last year until the defense threw up all over themselves and promptly gave up 51 points in 3 quarters.

and Dilfer, Rypien, Jim McMahon and Doug Williams all are superbowl champions..
with our defensive showing in week 17, i have NO confindence that we could beat any playoff team.
especially in the playoffs, defense and being able to run the ball Wins
as much as i loved Shula, the reason Marino never won a title is because he never had a defense (and i blame shula's loyalty to
tom olivadotti) and he never had a running game

Back
Top Bottom