Miami Dolphins’ Walt Aikens working exclusively at cornerback now | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins’ Walt Aikens working exclusively at cornerback now

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
20170608-ale-dolphins-ota-022.jpg

DAVIE—Dolphins coach Adam Gase believes a team can never have enough reliable cornerbacks. In an effort to boost depth at that position, he’s had safety Walt Aikens working there throughout the offseason

Aikens, a fourth-year player, played safety off the bench last season and is a core special teams player. He said Wednesday he has not played safety during Organized Team Activities or minicamp.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...aikens-working-exclusively-at-cornerback-now/

New nickleback? He should be better than our current nickleback. And the band

Looks like an emergency plan at cb. Prolly doesn't have much left to learn at the safety position and the more versatile Aikens is the better his roster spot looks

Looks like an emergency plan at cb. Prolly doesn't have much left to learn at the safety position and the more versatile Aikens is the better his roster spot looks
He's not a good safety at all. This is more about how much he sucks as a safety then it is about giving the team flexibility

Was cool seeing Aikens turn into the special teams ace last year -more of the same would be nice, and emergency backup

he wasn't going to cut it at safety for starter or depth....so this move makes sense to keep him on the roster for ST and corner in a pinch...on the boundary though not likely the slot

To Walt Aikens credit, his exceptional special teams play seems to be causing the Dolphins to try very hard to find him a spot on this roster. Special teams tends to always need more LB's, DB's, TE's and RB's. Those guys just seem to be within the parameters of what you need a lot of for special teams. Typically, the special teams coach is always trying to get more of those guys.

Looking at those positions on our team, it's kind of slim pickings at the moment. Off the top, I doubt these guys are being considered for core special teams roles: Reshad Jones, Byron Maxwell, Xavien Howard, Kiko Alonso, Lawrence Timmons, Koa Misi, Julius Thomas, Jay Ajayi. Some because they're needed more elsewhere, and others because of injury risks or age. Then looking at our special teams last year, the top performers were Walt Aikens, Mike Hull and Michael Thomas. I'm pretty confident that Rizzi is pushing hard for those guys. Hull looks like he is going to stick. Thomas is being crowded by the influx of DB's (IAQ out, but replaced by Nate Allen and TJ McDonald at S, plus drafted rookie Cordrea Tankersley at CB), but still looks to have a spot at Dime/backup Nickel with some versatility to be an emergency S. That leaves Walt Aikens in a tough spot for a roster spot.

Considering he faces the same squeeze that Michael Thomas faces, I think what they've done is shift Thomas out of the S rotation and into his more natural nickel/dime role. If Aikens couldn't get playing time last year, when our entire safety corps was out, then I doubt he'll have a roster spot this year at safety. So, his chance to make the roster depends on him bumping guys like Lafayette Pitts and showing that in an emergency, he can be serviceable at CB. I hope he can, because he's not being kept for his DB abilities, those aren't good enough. But his contributions to special teams are going to get him a spot on someone's roster, I hope it's ours.

He should work exclusively as a special teamer. I don't even want to see him on the field defensively if we've got multiple injuries in the secondary; I'd rather sign someone off the practice squad.

Superb special teamer though.

Wells that's one way to go because he clearly cant play Safety.

Is it his physical ability keeping him from playing safety or CB.

Back
Top Bottom