Miami Dolphins: What went right, what went wrong | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: What went right, what went wrong

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
I can not believe they included Pouncey in what went right with the club.:thumbsdown

KenyanDrake-610x354.jpg

WHAT WENT RIGHT: The run defense showed vast improvement, going from 30th in the NFL to 14th. And a big group of youngsters, ranging from running back Kenyan Drake and cornerbacks Xavien Howard and Cordrea Tankersley made big strides. Also included in that group were a crop of rookie defensive players — tackles Davon Godchaux and Vincent Taylor, end Cameron Malveaux, linebacker Chase Allen and cornerback Torry McTyre — that showed promise. Wide receivers Jarvis Landry and Kenny Stills were productive as was center Mike Pouncey.
WHAT WENT WRONG: This was an absent-minded team that often fell behind in games because of self-inflicted wounds (penalties, blown assignments, etc.) and also had to fight injury problems. There were off-field issues, too, such as a hurricane, an arrest and a player going AWOL. Overall this was an undisciplined team that couldn’t get out of its own way.
http://www.lindyssports.com/nfl/mia...phins-what-went-right-what-went-wrong/466213/

Whilst I agree with your sentiments with regards to Pouncey, I would say the general crux of the piece is correct.

We do have some exciting young players coming through, especially on defense, but it is the shear lack of discipline that kills this team.

I often watch Dolphins games from the Shula era to hark back to the better days, and it is so so apparent that Shula instilled not just discipline, but pride into the team. He was a class act all round and it shone right through the team. I know there were isolated incidents throughout the late 80's & early 90's but these days I tend to go through the season thinking 'what next?' For me, it all started when Ricky Williams went up in a puff of smoke.

lack of strategic thinking. Didn't have to sign Alonso and Branch, however, wanted to "lock them up." Also paying outsiders vs home-grown talent. Finally, refusing to address qb after Nov 16.

the young one's are killing us with penalties
Tunsil had 12(9 pre snap), Godchaux had 10(6 pre snap) on 47% of the defensive snaps
Howard had 10

The Giants defense had 27 total penalties
our defense had 56

Giants is a baad example, they were better at that but worse record. Jk, penalties have to be cleaned up.

Losing McMillan in the middle destroyed our "QB" on defense. We were forced to use Kiko more and reach for Rey. Getting McMillan back and adding another high draft for the LB spot and we should be good going forward. Kiko should be relegated to a back up role and his salary should reflect that level of play. Not sure when we can get out from that contract. Branch apparently played through an injury and hopefully he comes back healthier and becomes more productive.

did we lead the league in pre snap penalties???

Injuries played a role, but for me, it was mostly a lack of team unity and leadership in the locker room where they didn’t hold themselves accountable. All it takes is a guy or two playing for just a check and the wheels will start to come off. We got off to a rough start and never really came together as a team.

the young one's are killing us with penalties
Tunsil had 12(9 pre snap), Godchaux had 10(6 pre snap) on 47% of the defensive snaps
Howard had 10

The Giants defense had 27 total penalties
our defense had 56

This is part of my reason for optimism. The young pups have a year's experience which should cut down on missed assignments and penalties. In addition, one more year of experience in the system so there should be less thanking and more reacting. I'd also throw Grant is there as something that went right.

I can not believe they included Pouncey in what went right with the club.:thumbsdown

KenyanDrake-610x354.jpg

http://www.lindyssports.com/nfl/mia...phins-what-went-right-what-went-wrong/466213/

I cant for the life of me, figure out what Gase and other people see in Pouncey that we (pretty much everyone on FH) don't. You know its a RARE occurrence on FH for nearly EVERYONE to be in agreement on ANYTHING. Oddly enough we all agree on Pouncey, but others seem to think he is a stud. What are we missing?

I believe that part of the reason the oline had some many pre snap penalties was the fact that Pouncey wasn't practicing on a regular basis. He's the one that makes the line calls but in practice it was Brendel doing it. But Gase loves him as much as to say that "Pouncey's the best center in the NFL" which is BS because he's not even the best center on his own family. His brother is better than him

Ozzy rules!!

I cant for the life of me, figure out what Gase and other people see in Pouncey that we (pretty much everyone on FH) don't. You know its a RARE occurrence on FH for nearly EVERYONE to be in agreement on ANYTHING. Oddly enough we all agree on Pouncey, but others seem to think he is a stud. What are we missing?
Who says we all agree?!!! I think he’s right up there w Langer and Stephenson as one of the greats of all time, let alone Miami history!!!!!! JK!!!!

A lack of discipline is a direct reflection of the coaching staff. I'm sure having a live DJ at practice doesn't help either.

Back
Top Bottom