Miami Dolphins: What's a franchise quarterback? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: What's a franchise quarterback?

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Before you can decide whether a player can someday fit in a category, you need to define the category.

This week, I asked two of my editors for to define the term "franchise quarterback."

One said that, to him, it meant a quarterback who had received a long-term commitment from a franchise, financially and in terms of a guaranteed starting assignment. If you define it that way, there are about 15 "franchise quarterbacks" in the league.

Another said that it was a quarterback who can be counted on to win games even if the rest of the team struggles. You don't just commit to that quarterback; you build around him.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...-dolphins-whats-a-franchise-quarterback-.html

I'll go more with the 2nd interpretation with the qualification that it's someone early on who has demonstrated the potential to be able to put the team on his shoulders if need be, somewhere down the road in his development. Bottom-line: you're no more than a potential franchise QB until you prove otherwise.

I'd go with the second option as well, but with a dash from the first. In my mind, a Franchise quarterback is just that...your franchise, you build your entire team around him. Spend draft picks on weapons for him, pay big money for free agents for him, and in return he wins you many of the games you otherwise wouldnt have a chance in.

In my mind theres only one true franchise QB, Peyton Manning. Other teams have Qb's that will win more superbowls, that could go on to break more records, and that are just more clutch....but no team in the last decade has built up a team around the quarterback position like the Colts have.

Off the top of my head theyve spent: 2 wideouts, 3 running backs, and a offensive tackle in the first round in the last few years. Not sure how many other draft picks they've spent around him, and thats not counting the possible future hall of fame receiver they already had on the team when he was drafted.

Back
Top Bottom