Miami Dolphins will regret trusting wallet, not eyes, on Jarvis Landry | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins will regret trusting wallet, not eyes, on Jarvis Landry

Kdawg954

My f*ck ups be the perfect mistakes
Club Member
Reaction score
This column, however, provides something else. A gut reaction. A growl. A note of confusion that comes with being required to track the touchdowns and fumbles of math wizards and salary-cap strategists in the front office more than the production of the players themselves.

These are the same guys, remember, who paid too much to keep Kiko Alonso and Andre Branch happy but can’t pay enough to satisfy Landry, the first Dolphins wide receiver since Mark Clayton to appear in three consecutive Pro Bowls.

The same head coach, too, who fought to get Jay Cutler $10 million in a pinch for one year of mediocre quarterback play but isn’t as passionate about making a long-term commitment of something like $14 million annually to the only player in NFL history to catch 400 passes in his first four seasons.

Continue reading @

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...ot-eyes-jarvis-landry/a4rBF09XlxLMxIeVtotoVN/

Really good article by Dave George.

Whether you want Landry here or not, if the reason is just a couple million AAV, considering other moves, this organization’s thought process just doesn’t make any sense and really doesn’t seem to have a clue on what they are doing from a personnel perspective.

Last edited:
Spot on. Theres an argument to be made about not giving Landry 14 mil a year. Doesnt change how frustrating it is to see them constantly overpay mediocre talent only to suddenly learn how to be frugal once its a young star at the negotiating table.

What the hell does "trusting wallet" mean? I mean, seriously. Trust your wallet? Huh?

The dude isn't worth being paid as if he's Julio Jones. It is by definition tying your eyes to your wallet and not paying Hines Ward as if he's Randy Moss.

This is the same conversation we had about Olivier Vernon. Exactly the same. And we were right not to pay Vernon. Where we were wrong is in not drafting a player better than Landry (or Vernon) in the first place, a guy who makes the decision obvious.

What the hell does "trusting wallet" mean? I mean, seriously. Trust your wallet? Huh?

The dude isn't worth being paid as if he's Julio Jones. It is by definition tying your eyes to your wallet and no overvaluing a guy who looks intense and plays physical.

This is the same conversation we had about Olivier Vernon. Exactly the same. And we were right not to. Where we were wrong is in not drafting a player better than him in the first place, a guy who makes the decision obvious.

If Julio Jones were to sign a deal today, hed be getting 20 mil plus.

Also Vernons production wasnt in the same league as Landrys is for us.

Eh the wheels kinda fall off a little when he gets into the suh and tannehill piece

He's right the front office mishandled branch and Kiko but you don't use past mistakes to justify new ones, rumor is we offered Landry a long term deal (a significant one) and he turned it down

Can't let fandom get in the way no one wants to lose landry but he is in the business of squeaking out every possibly dollar he can from a team, don't be the team to over pay for him. Landry is a special talent but we aren't talking deandre Hopkins or Antonio brown here

Hope we keep him but the front office isn't wrong to stick to their generous number

The dude isn't worth being paid as if he's Julio Jones. It is by definition tying your eyes to your wallet and not paying Hines Ward as if he's Randy Moss.

This is the same conversation we had about Olivier Vernon. Exactly the same. And we were right not to. Where we were wrong is in not drafting a player better than him in the first place, a guy who makes the decision obvious.

But we are right to pay, hell overpay . . . Branch and Williams and Timmons and Alonso and others but get 4 strong years from a guy on Hall of Fame pace and scoff at a questionable overpayment?

It is blashphemy . . . .and yea maybe 2 wrongs don’t make a right . . . But at least with this potential “wrong” you know you are getting and that is pretty damn good production and your best offensive player . . . .and that is what the article is saying.

The biggest gripe I have with paying Landry top receiver money is that in his 2nd year in this offense he didn’t know the routes to run. Mike Wallace had the same issues.

I mostly agree; forget production, it will be also hard to replicate the passion Landry plays with.

However, my biggest trepidation regards the moron who will be making the trade for him. Aside from trading up to grab Revis, can anyone think of another instance where his team ever got the better end of a "Trader Mike" deal?

Paying too much for other players foolishly does not mean we also have to over-pay for Landry.

Only if we have learned from those mistakes.

You taking bets that we have?

I know what I am getting from Juice, if I am overpaying for him, if I am paying Cam Wake near 9 million to likely play less than 50% of the snaps this year . . . It is because I know what I am getting.

But we are right to pay, hell overpay . . . Branch and Williams and Timmons and Alonso and others but get 4 strong years from a guy on Hall of Fame pace and scoff at a questionable overpayment?

It is blashphemy . . . .and yea maybe 2 wrongs don’t make a right . . . But at least with this potential “wrong” you know you are getting and that is pretty damn good production and your best offensive player . . . .and that is what the article is saying.
all those deals were bad but that's not a reason to keep on giving out bad deals. And no, it's not Landry's fault we gave out those bad deals

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom