Miami Dolphins ‘won’t Have A Shot’ This Year If This Flaw Isn’t Fixed, Flores Says | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins ‘won’t Have A Shot’ This Year If This Flaw Isn’t Fixed, Flores Says

It's impossible to fix everything in one off-season.

Let him build the foundation before worrying about creating a Superbowl caliber roster.

We will get there, it's just going to take time.
The problem is , they still have to fix EVERTHING. Nothing was really fixed after one offseason. Hell, I still believe they need to fix the most important position in all of sports, QB. If they don't have a top three pick next season, they may have to use so many future resources to address that, that they won't be able to fix the other multitude of problems they have.

It's not overreacting. They just aren't talented enough. We knew this going in. The trenches on this team have to be remade on both lines. The defense is league average or worse at all three levels.

I think it is a little early to say we have no talent. These guys are still working on honing the fundamentals and learning the new scheme.

The problem is , they still have to fix EVERTHING. Nothing was really fixed after one offseason. Hell, I still believe they need to fix the most important position in all of sports, QB. If they don't have a top three pick next season, they may have to use so many future resources to address that, that they won't be able to fix the other multitude of problems they have.

Why so dramatic? Sure there are plenty of positions that need to be addressed but not all is bad. It's just The first preseason game. The goal I assume is to improve every week. Can we let them try to do that?

A HC with a background on D will naturally gravitate to tackling, because it's a fundamental part of the game, and if the team doesn't tackle well, it reflects poorly on the coach. It's too early to say how it will or won't improve, but nothing Miami does on D will matter without high-level playcalling, QB play, and OL play. Miami also needs a couple of (at least) near-elite receiving options. Right now, they have a bunch of solid players but no receivers that cause DC's headaches. The 2020 Draft should change that.

I disagree about nothing being "fixed".

The first thing fixed was a dysfunctional front office hierarchy.

The second thing that was "fixed", was the replacement of Adam Gase. It remains to be seen what Flores is, but there is a 99% chance he's a better HC than Gase, just by character alone.

The third thing we did, was Purge bad contracts, players that needed to go (RT), and get our salary cap back to a flexible, and manageable position.

All of this was done while, simultaneously, accumulating draft picks for the future.

No, we didn't make any big "splash" signings, or mortgage the future to move up for a subpar QB prospect, but that is not how you build a foundation for the future.

I guess I think some fans are being a bit too short sighted. We are all tired of spinning our wheels for the better part of two decades, but you can't skip steps, and you cant take all the steps in one off season.

Not all fixes show an immediate benefit.

For instance, our biggest fix was the scrub: Getting rid of bad contracts for underproducing players. That alone is going to allow us to rebuild the team the proper way, rather than just patching holes.

QB is still a question mark, Ill give you that for sure. But that is what this season is about. Evaluate Rosen and determine whether we need to draft a QB early next year or not.

We resigned Howard, a MAJOR step in building our D, and will likely get Tunsil locked up. Two cornerstone players is not insignificant.

Yea, our pass rush is lame and our oline is abysmal, but Flores wants to focus on the fundamentals, and its a great idea imo. Too many teams overlook things like that, but you know, that is why the Pats win with subpar talent. Fundamentals.

While the oline needs work, I am at least happy that it isnt ignored, like our past coaching staff. Flores fired Flahrety and replaced him with Googs. Upgrade? That remains to be seen, but at least it shows me that he is not happy with the unit, is giving it attention, and is attempting to improve it.

And frankly, that is all I ask at this point. Recognize the issues and attempt to improve them. Our past coaching staff just closed their eyes, plugged their ears, and kept trying to mash the same square peg into the same round hole.

Be patient, things will get better.

Last edited:
You can't properly evaluate a team in the first game.
Talent by name isn't all what it's cracked up to be.
This team is in a rebuilding mode.
There is no Superbowl for this team, so let's sit back and watch team give the other team fits.
This team will be very explosive on offensive with a little o-line help.

Looks like a 3 and 13 team

Will that be enough or will we finish brides maid again?

I’m sure wondering where this edge pass rush is gonna come from lol

There are possibly 3 elite franchise QB prospects in 2020 draft: Herbert, Love, & Tua. We easily will be able to get one of them if we do finish 3 and 13 and life will be good

Why so dramatic? Sure there are plenty of positions that need to be addressed but not all is bad. It's just The first preseason game. The goal I assume is to improve every week. Can we let them try to do that?
What exactly got "fixed" this offseason?

With the team trading for Rosen and potentially drafting a QB in 2020, the staff better have a real plan at OL. Miami has always done a poor job of maximizing its major investments. Rosen wasn't a major investment in terms of what the team spent, but he offers the potential reward of a major investment. As well as Dillard and Lindstrom have played in Philly and Atlanta, and given their elite physical tools, it's hard to imagine the thought process that led the FO to say, "Nah, we'll figure out OL later. Let's get a DT."

Both Dillard and Lindstrom projected as high-floor/high-ceiling linemen, who could start and play well from Day 1. Lindstrom will be the starter Week 1, and all reports indicate that Dillard will be ready if Peters goes down. Dillard and Lindstrom were the best pass protectors at their respective positions, and their athleticism should see them develop into dangerous run blockers.

Most importantly, both directly benefit the QB and playcaller. Wilkins is a nice player. I'm glad he's on the team. I'm not glad that Miami drafted him over two better players.

I disagree about nothing being "fixed".

The first thing fixed was a dysfunctional front office hierarchy.

The second thing that was "fixed", was the replacement of Adam Gase. It remains to be seen what Flores is, but there is a 99% chance he's a better HC than Gase, just by character alone.

The third thing we did, was Purge bad contracts, players that needed to go (RT), and get our salary cap back to a flexible, and manageable position.

All of this was done while, simultaneously, accumulating draft picks for the future.

No, we didn't make any big "splash" signings, or mortgage the future to move up for a subpar QB prospect, but that is not how you build a foundation for the future.

I guess I think some fans are being a bit too short sighted. We are all tired of spinning our wheels for the better part of two decades, but you can't skip steps, and you cant take all the steps in one off season.
I agree with some of this but as far as things being fixed on the field, nothing has been fixed. We still don't know what this coaching staff has to offer so assuming that they are the answer is presumptuous and the GM has been here all along during this mess. I have a problem with much of what Grier has done. If you want me to be specific about Grier, I can. I wasn't asking for big splash signings and I'm all for accumulating draft picks for the future and I'm happy about purging the bad contracts. That's the easy part of a rebuild and those are the only things that this front office has done right in my opinion. They still need to accomplish the hard part of the rebuild and quite frankly, I'm doubtful they are up to the task.

I agree with some of this but as far as things being fixed on the field, nothing has been fixed. We still don't know what this coaching staff has to offer so assuming that they are the answer is presumptuous and the GM has been here all along during this mess. I have a problem with much of what Grier has done. If you want me to be specific about Grier, I can. I wasn't asking for big splash signings and I'm all for accumulating draft picks for the future and I'm happy about purging the bad contracts. That's the easy part of a rebuild and those are the only things that this front office has done right in my opinion. They still need to accomplish the hard part of the rebuild and quite frankly, I'm doubtful they are up to the task.

There's difference between 'nothing has been fixed' and 'we don't know yet '

Everything is a "presumption" at this stage.

The way you are putting it, if I'm reading you correctly, is the only way you would be happy is if Grier, and the owner were gone, and we have "your choice" of coaches.

Not very realistic. What's done is done, and I don't see any drastic change of direction for at least three years.

Don't worry, be happy.....

Everything is a "presumption" at this stage.

The way you are putting it, if I'm reading you correctly, is the only way you would be happy is if Grier, and the owner were gone, and we have "your choice" of coaches.

Not very realistic. What's done is done, and I don't see any drastic change of direction for at least three years.

Don't worry, be happy.....
I never said that. I just said that the decision makers of this organization are the same, and to think that anything on the field has been fixed is naïve. They had a chance to address the woeful mess they have on the offensive line in the first round this past draft but decided that defensive tackle was more of a priority. It just doesn't make much sense to me to be worrying about building your defense when your offense is in such dire straits. They knew the offensive line lacked talent across the board, and they needed to bring in a young QB. Why would you want to put your young QB in such a situation?

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the play in the first preseason game but I was expecting near expansion level chaos.

Back
Top Bottom