Miami going to attempt to trade up to #1 | Page 31 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami going to attempt to trade up to #1

If Cincy had the #1 pick...I'd lay odds that they would take Burrow over Tua. The rumors that we''re going up...isn't to go up to get Tua, who says he's ready to play right now.

The point I have made, and will continue to stand by, is that all 3 of the top QB prospects are not perfect and our best option is to stay at 5 and see what happens. In 2012 there was not a trade a team could offer that would prevent the Colts from drafting Luck. He was that kind of QB prospect. The fact that so many of these articles about teams trying to trade up keep coming out tells you one of two things: A) there are no sports going on so people are writing click bait articles for views, or B) people simply don’t view Burrow as a sure-fire prospect.

Four times in NFL history the number one pick was traded. One of those times was from Number 5 pick to number one. Its a real possibility.

Just don’t see Cincinnati moving from #1 when there’s a consensus #1 QB with local ties to Ohio and its their greatest need. Why would they ever trade out

Maybe you missed it, but Tua is cleared to play. Tua is healthy already and the season is still six months away plus Miami won't rush him to play early in the season. Nice try. Why draft a QB next year? Why not put it off for the year after that or the year after that? You have no idea what the QB prospects will look like next year or where Miami will be in the draft. It would be downright negligent to not get the QB now.

“Cleared to play” does not take away the “injury prone” red flags risk of Tua.

people keep talking about "Burrow is from Ohio" as if it means anything. NFL is a business, like all of our jobs. You think employers care where youre from? You think they care that Burrow is from Ohio? As long as Burrow can throw TDs, someone will want him.

Cincy's #1 need is QB? I beg to differ, Dalton is only 32-33....they don't NEED a QB badly, they need an entire team.

Any rookie QB would be smart to avoid Cincinnati.

If Tua really is the God people make him out to be, why wouldn't all 4 teams ahead of us jump on him? If he isn't chosen at 1, 2, 3, 4 (by teams who had bad records last year) then we sure shouldn't pick him either.

We have 3 first round picks, don't waste them. Sit at 5.

“Cleared to play” does not take away the “injury prone” red flags risk of Tua.

Your concern doesn’t lend credence to the injury prone red flag either.

Plenty of players have suffered a multitude of injuries in HS or college then not had further problems in the NFL. You choose to ignore that possibility because your interests are elsewhere. That’s on you.

Again, your concerns aren’t sure fire truths for the future.

Plenty of players have suffered a multitude of injuries in HS or college then not had further problems in the NFL. You choose to ignore that possibility because your interests are elsewhere. That’s on you.

I agree any player who is in the draft has probably suffered some type of injury over the course of their time playing football. Yet few if any of those players have suffered the type of hip injury Tua suffered. The reality is if the Dolphins were projected to pick any other player with their first pick who was coming off major hip surgery, surgeries on both ankles, a knee injury, and a broken finger in the last two and a half years. Dolphin fans would be calling for Grier to be fired if that player was the Dolphins first pick in the draft.
There is no doubt Tua was a great college QB when he was healthy but history shows that QB’s who were constantly injured during college also tend to sustain more injuries in the NFL than QB’s who did not have major injuries in college.

I can accept the Dolphins taking the risk of giving up 1 first round pick on Tua in the hope he will can stay healthy in the NFL but trading away more picks to select him with is past injury history would be absolutely ridiculous. The only QB in the draft worth trading multiple picks for in Burrow and I just don’t see the Bengals trading away the first pick in the draft.

A Franchise QB needs a Franchise OL, what these players do in college may have the Wow factor but that QB has to be #1, if the organization believes that a QB fits their system then by all means go get him, but a franchise QB needs a whole lots of thing to go right to be a franchise QB. Great in college don't necessarily means great in the Pros, I like Burrow but i believe a team can do more with a healthy Tua, I think that Burrow is better a managing the game and Tua is a risk taker, I wouldn't trade up for Burrow but I would for Tua.

You aren’t naming anybody...there are always exceptions.

The point your missing... is that with the option of trading up for QB1 Joe Burrow....or sitting at 5 and taking Herbert....or trading down (or up from 18 for Jordan love )....Chris Grier will in my opinion not trade up and risk multiple assets on a QB with durability red flags.

He might take him at 5....and I can live with that.

If we trade up on Tua I will not be happy!

A Franchise QB needs a Franchise OL, what these players do in college may have the Wow factor but that QB has to be #1, if the organization believes that a QB fits their system then by all means go get him, but a franchise QB needs a whole lots of thing to go right to be a franchise QB. Great in college don't necessarily means great in the Pros, I like Burrow but i believe a team can do more with a healthy Tua, I think that Burrow is better a managing the game and Tua is a risk taker, I wouldn't trade up for Burrow but I would for Tua.

That’s an interesting take when Joe Burrow just destroyed Alabama in Tuscaloosa and had the best season in college history.

It was Tua who had 2 first rounders as tackles and 4 1st round wide receivers.

No QB had more help.

Also... it is Tua’s inability to manage a game and get rid of the ball that leads to his injuries.

Both of those QB's had great receivers which made things easier for them but Burrow has 1 good season
everyone on that team was playing at a high level. He's going to the Bengals where every one doesn't so he is going to have to do a lots of running. Tua is can improvise a little more than Burrow can so off scheduled plays will be better for team.

If the rumours are true the Fins are going to attempt to trade up for Burrow, doesn’t that tell us they aren’t convinced on Tua?

If he’s there at #5 I’m not convinced they will take him. I think they should fwiw or even trade up a spot or 2 but like others have said I can see us sitting at 5 then taking Herbert.

I think this will prove to be a mistake going forward but we will see.

Both of those QB's had great receivers which made things easier for them but Burrow has 1 good season
everyone on that team was playing at a high level. He's going to the Bengals where every one doesn't so he is going to have to do a lots of running. Tua is can improvise a little more than Burrow can so off scheduled plays will be better for team.
I like both QB's but I don't believe Tua can improvise better than Burrow. We saw Burrow made plays after plays when there was nothing there and he did it against top teams. With Burrow the play never seems to be over. I'm not saying Tua can't improvise, but he's not better than Burrow when it comes to it and on top of it, Burrow was better at escaping pressure than Tua was. Now I think part of that is Tua trying to hit a HR in every play and that's gotten him hurt and will get him hurt again if he doesn't fix it.

There is no doubt Tua was a great college QB when he was healthy but history shows that QB’s who were constantly injured during college also tend to sustain more injuries in the NFL than QB’s who did not have major injuries in college.
Seems to make sense but is there anything to prove that? I asked another poster last week but all he found was Mcshay saying it and some study on a genetics theory but do we have actual numbers from NFL players on this? I haven’t seen anything, yet.

The Greg Cosell thread in the Draft Forum is a good common sense listen. He makes the comment that "transcendent QBs" are very rare. These are QBs that can operate in any system and be elite. As he points out, the majority of QBs drafted in the NFL need the right system to excel. And therefore, the most important aspect to selecting a QB is matching the right QB to your system.

Bill Walsh once said that "Joe Montana was a product of the system. Dan Marino was the system".

I think we've lost sight of just how rare Dan Marino was as a talent.

Cosell goes on to state that Mahomes is such a talent (Marino). But that most QBs that play in the NFL are products of their system.

For me, I think the common sense approach to finding a franchise QB is to first identify "What is our system?".

Until you answer that question, nothing truly matters with boards and rankings. Otherwise, you are just comparing each QB to some rarely attainable transcendent criteria.

And now you start to see why teams that truly build around their QB are the ones that maximize their longevity with a QB. Once you draft a QB, commit to him; build around him.

I think any "taking a flier" comment truly reveals you don't know what you are looking for in a QB. And, as such, any player you pick around him is NOT part of a larger design. It is simply evaluating talent for talent's sake without considering the design you are placing them in to succeed.

You have a plan that doesn't transfer from paper to the field. And you have players on the field that don't translate to the paper.

The Patriots were so consistent because they built around Tom Brady and continued to accent him with weapons that took advantage of his abilities and hid his weaknesses.

Every Phin Fan knows the formula to defeat Tom Brady, yet few teams employed it better than us on a consistent basis: Pressure. Rattle his cage and you rattle his game.

Brady did well in game winning situations, but the pressure was the real determinant. Even in crunch time, rattle his cage.

So, as we look to the draft, remember it is NOT about rankings based on some perfect unattainable set of standards. It is matching a QB to our system OR developing a system to match the QB.

And I don't think we've seen the last of Rosen.

We will draft a QB, but I think this year will be about finding what we have in Rosen as we groom a rookie. I think last year's game exposure and general comments leaked to the public were all part of grooming Rosen for his real chance this year.

Make no mistake, we will draft a QB. But if we don't match the QB to our system or build a system to match the QB, it will fail.

Back
Top Bottom