Miami has the Opportunity to Put Together an Elite Offense | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami has the Opportunity to Put Together an Elite Offense

Unless Grier is going to sign Clowney, you are absolutely correct.

Have to admit, I'm not excited about the edge rush class. I know you like Phillips. I do too. Maybe you take him and gamble that you get a few healthy years.

Oweh won't likely be the answer early on. I do think Basham will help in run support and push the pocket. At #36 I'd consider him, not at #18.

Collins at #18 could give you some pass rush. Tryon maybe around #36.

Will be interesting to see what Miami does.
I have no fear that Grier would sign Clowney. That guy is all-world talent and not even all-middle-school production ... no way Grier spends his money on that wild goose chase. Yes I know we've been linked in the past ... but Grier also puts out a lot of disinformation.

I'm in total agreement about DE/OLB Jaelan Phillips and OLB/MLB/DE Zaven Collins. Those are the two I'd target at the #18 to #36 pick ... or if we trade back from #18 into the space between.

I have no fear that Grier would sign Clowney. That guy is all-world talent and not even all-middle-school production ... no way Grier spends his money on that wild goose chase. Yes I know we've been linked in the past ... but Grier also puts out a lot of disinformation.

I'm in total agreement about DE/OLB Jaelan Phillips and OLB/MLB/DE Zaven Collins. Those are the two I'd target at the #18 to #36 pick ... or if we trade back form #18 into the space between.
The other option besides free agency and the draft is a trade. Wonder if there's any pass rusher out there that Grier might target?

Unless Grier is going to sign Clowney, you are absolutely correct.

Have to admit, I'm not excited about the edge rush class. I know you like Phillips. I do too. Maybe you take him and gamble that you get a few healthy years.

Oweh won't likely be the answer early on. I do think Basham will help in run support and push the pocket. At #36 I'd consider him, not at #18.

Collins at #18 could give you some pass rush. Tryon maybe around #36.

Will be interesting to see what

I'm in total agreement about DE/OLB Jaelan Phillips and OLB/MLB/DE Zaven Collins. Those are the two I'd target at the #18 to #36 pick ... or if we trade back from #18 into the space between.
I like phillips but Collins doesn’t really impress me, maybe I’m being to harsh because I’m basing my opinion on the level of competition he played against. I do think Phillips is legit if health permits him to play football.

The other option besides free agency and the draft is a trade. Wonder if there's any pass rusher out there that Grier might target?
Nah, this was a FA period where a lot of pass rushers were available and we didn't claim one. In part because they were expensive since this draft class is another weak one for pass rushers. All the draft prospects come with major red flags.

in opposite, how would you feel if we got Parsons at #6, Collins at #18, some DE and CB with the 2nd round picks? How would you all feel if we went all defense in the first two rounds?
Shocked.

I do think Miami will get help on defense. Collins at #18 and an edge rusher at #36 would make a lot of sense.

I don't know if this a Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs thing, but most teams go into each year with some holes in their roster. It's rare that you can fix everything at once. Last year, we did major work on the line and didn't bring in weapons. The Bengals took a QB, but didn't have enough picks to fix everything else... The Patriots brought in a ton of depth, but couldn't secure a QB...

This is normal... unless you are on top.

So I wonder... which needs will we leave unfulfilled this year as we slowly get better? We've pretty much agree that we need, at minimum: 1 Receiver of some kind (maybe 2), a Running Back, a Center, a Tackle or Guard, a DE Edge, an OLB Edge, and another developmental Safety... and we aint getting all of this in one draft. Even if we had that many high round picks... some would bust, some would get injured, and some would end up being just a guy.

How we react to these unfulfilled needs, and whether we lie to ourselves about how they are REALLY are not needs so as to buttress our arguments... define what we are discussing. Is is more important to draft an Edge than a second receiver? If we take a RB, can we still take a Center? If we grab that Tackle, do we have to pass on the second Edge prospect?

That's what we are arguing over... because we CAN'T fill every need here. Something will be left off the list, and when that hole becomes apparent during the season... someone will cry. They'll blame Grier. They'll tell us that they knew this would happen and any idiot could have... blah blah blah...

So I'm challenging people to look at it through this prism... where are you willing to accept a weakness? And are you willing to admit that we've made a choice that made that weakness worse?

P
With respect...

Our Defense isn't that good, and it won't keep us in most of the games we play.

Teams that put up high turnover numbers (as we did last year), rarely reproduce them a year later. Add to this that we've released/traded away 10 sacks from last year (Van Noy and Lawson), and replaced them with nothing... I think it is reasonably safe to say that we will see quite the regression if we stand pat.

It's like investing where they say, "past results are no indication of future returns". We don't have the defense that we had last year... at this juncture, I'd say it is about average.
True. But if the offense is able to sustain drives and put points on the scoreboard, the defense automatically becomes better.

I do agree that the defense shouldn't be ignored. I think Grier will spend at least one of those top 50 picks on defense.

With respect...

Our Defense isn't that good, and it won't keep us in most of the games we play.

Teams that put up high turnover numbers (as we did last year), rarely reproduce them a year later. Add to this that we've released/traded away 10 sacks from last year (Van Noy and Lawson), and replaced them with nothing... I think it is reasonably safe to say that we will see quite the regression if we stand pat.

It's like investing where they say, "past results are no indication of future returns". We don't have the defense that we had last year... at this juncture, I'd say it is about average.
I agree that the defense isn't as talented as many believe, and I don't think it should or will be ignored, but the problem is the offense lacks talent more than the defense does and the defense is where all the money is being spent. It's prudent for Miami to start putting some premium resources around their young developing QB.

I agree that the defense isn't as talented as many believe, and I don't think it should or will be ignored, but the problem is the offense lacks talent more than the defense does and the defense is where all the money is being spent. It's prudent for Miami to start putting some premium resources around their young developing QB.
Some yes... but then again, we put multiple picks into the offense last year. Tua, three linemen, Perry, Bowden... all came via draft picks last year.

There has to be some balance.

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****... no matter how good you are.

I believe your analysis of just saying... trust Flores to fix it... ties his hands and prevents him from actually fixing it. He needs better players on our edges. The ones we have are not good...
How do you figure? Bad??

Even with 0 help....
The secondary is elite.
LB is average.
DL is average.
So at worst, we will be slightly above average. Now you add defenive pedigee coach Flo, how can it be bad?
Just don't understand the logic behind your view.

Back
Top Bottom