Miami has the Opportunity to Put Together an Elite Offense | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami has the Opportunity to Put Together an Elite Offense

What is your working definition of elite?

To me it means a guy consistently performs at a level equal to all time great players, or maybe top 5 in comparison with their peers of today.

I think your use of the word "consistently" is spot on. Take Parker, not elite, as he has too many games without playing a big role. But you could show someone one of his better games in a vacuum and they might throw around "elite".

DeAndre Hopkins comes to mind as actually having been elite for the Texans more recently. He was doing it every week, with lesser games being the outlier vs status quo.

We are part way there... but without Jackson last year... Davenport would have started and Tua would be doing rehab with Burrow.
would you draft Jackson if you could do the draft over again? I dont think there is anyway we would have went into the season with Davenport starting at LT.

These are the decisions that we are juggling. These are very tough calls. No, we are not going to get a starter off of our practice squad...

If we want youth and noticeable upside, it won't be Skura, it won't be Rowe, or McCain, or Malcolm Brown, but these guys might work for a year and I'm suggesting that this MAY be a clue to which way we are leaning in the draft.

It might not be Fuller. Preston could get hurt again. Hell... we might sign Flowers for a long contract after this year... but in the end, smart money says to bid against every single one of these players being successful.

Maybe it will be Strowbridge... but I doubt it. Maybe Van Ginkle can play all 100% of the defensive plays... and two positions at once too! But I doubt it...

I could tell you which positions that I favor leaving off the list, and I could tell you why that these positions would be my choice... but that wasn't really the direction I was going with this... First the acceptance, then we can determine strategy... but as you can see, I'm already getting pushback on the reality.

Something will get left off the list, and pretending that we are better than we really are... doesn't help.
I do hope Miami follows the talent in the draft and that it's not entirely based on need.

The 2021 draft is loaded at wide receiver and, to a lesser degree, at tackle. Miami should take advantage of these positions first and foremost.

But Grier will have to take a plunge into the uncertain edge position. Hopefully, he can get it right.

I really think that is how the great teams approach the draft. Go with the best players, follow the talent in the draft. BPA screams for two wide receiver picks in the top 50 and probably a tackle early on.

Unfortunately, Miami needs an edge rusher badly. That's probably the riskiest position in the draft.
I think that Edge players are pretty much ALWAYS the riskiest players in the draft. We could point to an average of maybe one guy per year that everyone agreed would be a star... sadly, one year it was Dion Jordan.

Drafting 99% of edge players requires a deep breath and a leap of faith... but this is one time will I will trust Flores. Remember him jumping up and down when he got Davis... he knew, and he knew something that Satan couldn't figure out.

I think Flores will pore over these guys and then go with the one that he thinks will play the game his way, and I'm gonna trust that pick, just like I trusted the Davis pick that the Alabumble fans hated.

would you draft Jackson if you could do the draft over again? I dont think there is anyway we would have went into the season with Davenport starting at LT.
Yes, I would... in a heartbeat.

He was the youngest Tackle on the board and the scouts all said that it would take a year or two for him to fill out and excel.

I think that Edge players are pretty much ALWAYS the riskiest players in the draft. We could point to an average of maybe one guy per year that everyone agreed would be a star... sadly, one year it was Dion Jordan.

Drafting 99% of edge players requires a deep breath and a leap of faith... but this is one time will I will trust Flores. Remember him jumping up and down when he got Davis... he knew, and he knew something that Satan couldn't figure out.

I think Flores will pore over these guys and then go with the one that he thinks will play the game his way, and I'm gonna trust that pick, just like I trusted the Davis pick that the Alabumble fans hated.
That is true. I just don't want Miami to double up early for a pass rusher, but could see that happening.

But I do agree with you on Flores. I think he'll get the right guy, even if we don't know it right away.

That is true. I just don't want Miami to double up early for a pass rusher, but could see that happening.

But I do agree with you on Flores. I think he'll get the right guy, even if we don't know it right away.
Hope so... I still hope we take two, but I think only one of them is guaranteed... like the receiver.

I really think that is how the great teams approach the draft. Go with the best players, follow the talent in the draft. BPA screams for two wide receiver picks in the top 50 and probably a tackle early on.

Unfortunately, Miami needs an edge rusher badly. That's probably the riskiest position in the draft.

They surely do. And if edge was what receiver is in this draft, I’d be on board with selecting it.

But it isn’t and receiver is. And both are huge needs. So I’d go receiver all day at the top.

We have four picks in the first two rounds... let's not stray too far from understanding that this is a better position than 30 other teams are in. Most teams would LOVE to trade positions with us... so even if they take players that I do not personally like, I do like that they've brought us to this point.

We all know that there will be a few melt-downs on the first couple nights of the draft... and likely a nasty battle or two days after the draft when another poster or two finally boils over when the prevailing opinions shifts towards the new players that he hates.

But we've got four guys coming... and I'm going to try to stay positive no matter what they do. It doesn't do any good to make yourself miserable over this... Hell, it's a hobby.
Yep...get good players, regardless of position.

Darnell Mooney was a 5th round pick. Turned out to be a playmaker. They're out there in every round.

This discussion reminds me of the Garrison Keiler quote about Lake Wobegone : "Lake Wobegone - a place where every child is above average." Miami: a place where every WR is elite.

I think we have done a pretty good job of signing free agents, so we can draft the best BPA in the draft, and we have the draft capital to move around the draft if we want a player that is slipping. Yes I want a better Center, but if we have to go into the season with our signee yet we were able to get a good pass rusher I am happy. Same with Fuller. etc. We have already improved our team by signing him. however we do not need to draft a w/o to improve the team, I hope we do, however, we do not need to. Good job by Grier.

I do hope Miami follows the talent in the draft and that it's not entirely based on need.

The 2021 draft is loaded at wide receiver and, to a lesser degree, at tackle. Miami should take advantage of these positions first and foremost.

But Grier will have to take a plunge into the uncertain edge position. Hopefully, he can get it right.
It's ok to take a chance on an Edge player. Just don't do it in the first round. You want value there and in this draft the value is not at DE in the first round.

Regardless of who picks what Miami will draft an elite receiver and hopefully 1 of the 3 top backs.
I think we will have the opportunity to draft a great prospect at 18 and 36.

It's ok to take a chance on an Edge player. Just don't do it in the first round. You want value there and in this draft the value is not at DE in the first round.
I feel like Basham is probably the safest bet, but I don't think he has the pass rush upside that some of the other edge guys have.

I do see him as plug and play and someone who instantly makes the run defense better. He might give you 3-5 sacks.

Back
Top Bottom