Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Tannchise, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Tannchise

Tannchise Banned Hammered

2. elite14eva

elite14eva Yashu Mane!!! Donator

I agree with everything he said... we have to draft a quarterback this year no exception Tannehill is not getting any younger and what if his knee blows out again?

3. Tannchise

Also from a scouting perspective, there very well is a better qb than what we have in house. Lets face it , we dont have Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Ben here. The ceiling is the concern. Is his ceiling good enough for multiple championships?

4. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan Donator

I agree with the article 100%, and I think it an absolute no brainer. I also would bet money we don’t do it. I can’t wait for the SR bowl, and the combine to get a better feel where these guys project.

5. Tannchise

Yeah I hear you. We Never go with conventional wisdom.

6. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Whether you love or hate Tannehill is really not the point, I have said on multiple occasions that the QB position cries out for competition in the worst way. My fear is that Miami goes out and picks up an aging QB in FA past his prime demanding an insane amount of money to come here and be a backup. We have to draft a QB folks, hell draft two if it makes you feel better I don't care, but hanging your hopes on one player has been shown to be tactically dangerous and a lack of vision. Let's be honest for a moment, the Dolphins are still a couple of years away from making any noise, with our current crop of players I expect us to go 8-8 next season while we rebuild this team and have no doubt about it we're rebuilding.......quietly, but the most important position on the field has been neglected while we have waited patiently for Tannehill to improve his play year after year. Now is this all on him? no! has Tannehill's play improve? yes, but by no means should we pass up a young QB if a good one falls to us in the draft, the position is to important. We seem to like collecting WRs, lets do the same for the QB position.

7. Dolphins81

Dolphins81 Well-Known Member

Maybe a picture of a top QB in the draft comes out of him smoking weed. It’s a shame that there are 3 to 4 teams that need QBs in front of us. But hopefully we get someone in the 2 or 3 round

8. PhinsAAA

PhinsAAA Well-Known Member

Boy you guys are sure building yourselves up for a let down come draft night...

9. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

Greg Cote nails it.

But let's keep spinning the wheel of mediocrity with Ryan Tannehill and "filling holes". It's worked out wonders thus far.

10. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I get it, a reporter who doesn't understand a cap strapped team. To have $30-$40 million tied up in to one position and half of that sitting on the bench. that's a good move

fin415 likes this.
  11. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

2016 Fins go 10-6 and make the playoffs with Tannehill. 2017 the Fins go 6-10 with one of the worst defense in the NFL. Problem: Tannehill...

fish920, rickd13, Banksy and 8 others like this.
  12. dirkey

dirkey FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Oh look. Another thread about Tannehill from Tannchise.

13. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Also stop being a me me first guy and go wish a fellow fan and his wife Good Luck.

Dakar001 likes this.
  14. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

I stopped reading after he said qb rich draft.

Most of these QBs in the draft suck. They’re getting propped up and some sad team will still suck.

I lied, I scanned thru the article more and he said trade down. Definite close out. Trading down leads to a bad team. I’d rather trade up for a potential all pro then trade down for filler players.

15. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Certainly not me, I am NOT expecting the Phins to take a QB early in the draft, however that does not take away from the importance of grooming one for the future.

Dakar001 and lurking like this.
  16. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

17. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

The QB position was one gigantic fail this year, including a second straight devastating injury for Tannehill. It makes perfect sense for the Dolphins to draft a QB with that top pick.

Won’t happen. Scan that list of 1st rounders, find the one with one good season or iffy inflated stats, and that’s our man.

18. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

"Experts"

rickd13 and fin415 like this.
  19. FinaticalFinfan

FinaticalFinfan Finatical Finfan Finheaven VIP

20. hoops

hoops exited stage left Hammered

ummm excuse me greg...there's not gonna be a better option at 11

21. Michigan Mike

Michigan Mike FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I agree that we need another QB to groom but I don't like taking one in the first round. There isn't a single one projected to be available for us that I would feel is a lock to be a quality QB at the next level. Take a project in the 2-4 round area that needs to work on some mechanics or adjust to the offensive style and I am good with that. But let's not waste a first round pick for someone that isn't going to be benefit the team in 2018.

Dakar001 likes this.
  22. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

I'd like to get Allen at 11. It won't happen because everyone from the owner down to Gase would admit that help is needed at the position. What will suck is if the FO does go get a veteran qb who will be average and people call for him if Ryan stinks in 18.
    Just end all this and draft Allen. The future would be set, and any injury to Ryan can be covered with young blood. Besides, how many chances will we get to be at 11 with 4-5 qb's in front of us?

23. Tannchise

but what if we need him to play? do we just assume the season is over again if Tannehill gets hurt or sucks? I mean when you say groom, you are assuming all will be gravy. When in fact, historically, something always happens to the opposite. Will the excuse be for Tannehill the line? The backs? The fact of losing Landry?

24. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

Josh Allen intrigues me, as does Baker Mayfield. But I would only consider using a 2nd round pick on Baker Mayfield.

In the end, I think they will try to pick up a developmental guy in the mid-rounds, and sign a cheap vet backup for the season. I could even see them trade down trying to pick up assets for 2019 draft, but that's only if they manage to stop Tannenbaum's influence. 2018 is make or break for Tannehill. If he fails, they will target a QB in the 2019 draft. The good thing is that there will be far less competition for QBs at the top of Round 1 because many of them would have picked up a guy in this year's draft.

25. Tannchise

for us to realistically clear the board for a qb, we have to be smart and efficient in free agency. Can we acquire 6-8 starters and still be ok salary wise? I believe they can shed $40M between Wake, Pouncey, Thomas, Larsen and James.

26. Tannchise

Mayfield won't go past the Jets in round 1. How can we even imagine him slipping so far

27. Tannchise

if we are looking for a qb in 2019, Gase and Tannenbaum and Grier will be gone. To leave the cupboard bare at qb after having an opportunity to do so in two prior offseasons is irresponsible.

28. hoops

miamis board is probably gonna look like this at qb considering the fit relative to qb ask

josh rosen
    sam darnold
    josh allen

all 3 with top 10 grades

allen will lock his up at the senior bowl after he rips the cover off the ball

all the money in my wallet says none get past 6

rickd13 and Dakar001 like this.
  29. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

Do you think all 4 (Rosen/Darnold/Allen/Mayfield) will be gone by 11? I think only Lamar Jackson will be available at 11, and I wouldn't spend a 1st rounder on him.

30. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

I guess we can use fairy dust and leapfrog all those teams or all that draft capital we have.

Here’s an idea. Fix that defense and run the ball effectively.

NBP81 likes this.
  31. Albert Romano

Yes and nor would I on jackson. I saw where one
    Scout said they are going to work Jackson as a WR also.

32. John Biello

John Biello Perennial All-Pro

QB can cover up a ton of holes, see our very own dan marino and what Jimmy G did already in san fran. im all for drafting one in the first or second.

Yessir and zach attach like this.
  33. dirkey

dirkey FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

What I love about this thread is, it mentions "experts who are paid to write about Miami". Yet, in another thread, OP makes disparaging remarks about the FO of the Franchise.

I guess people who write about the Dolphins for a living know more about football than those who have worked their entire career in Football, up to a point of having the biggest jobs in one of the biggest Franchises in the game. Hilarious.

Along with that, OP pats himself on the back about agreeing with the journalist in question. Yet, same journalist talks about "potentially overpaying Landry". OP certainly doesn't agree with that, as evidenced by his other thread. So maybe ... the journalist is only an expert on those pieces to which the OP agrees?

Now, I'm not saying our FO are amazing by any stretch - I'm on record as not being a Tannenbum fan. But ... to call a journalist an expert? Please.

34. Highzenga

Highzenga Well-Known Member

I agree with the article and I like josh Allen. I don’t believe he’ll be there at 11. Personally, I’m not sold on mayfield or Jackson being elite. We do need to swing for the fences at some point though. Tannehill is good but we would need an elite defense to win the super bowl. He’s not the type of qb to put the team on his back in January.

35. hoops

I think once Mayfield runs 4.7 at 6 foot and change and the fact that he doesn't come from a pro style offense like a brees for instance teams are gonna cool the jets on top 10 baker Mayfield

but I'd be happy if he does go in front of us cause that would help a top level non qb talent drop to us

rickd13, Dakar001 and Phinatic8u like this.
  36. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

I want 4 QBs to go ahead of us. Then a few Ol and DL will go. Minkah too.

Leaves us with Derwin mutha****ing James

NBP81 and Albert Romano like this.
  37. JJM_7

JJM_7 A True Fan

Don't see Miami spending #11 on a QB unless one of the top 3 falls, which they won't.

I do see us drafting someone like Riley Ferguson or Tanner Lee in the later rounds to develop.

38. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

Fixing the defense requires multiple players and possible coaching upgrades. Running the ball effectively requires (Possibly) multiple o-linemen. Both need a lot of work.
    I think that what the article is saying is that 1 pick, 1 man can turn a lot around. Carson Wentz, Jimmy G., Goff this year, Watson. These guys can bring a lot with just one pick unlike what you mention needing lots of help. No disrespect, just my opinion.

39. Albert Romano

I would consider a trade up (cause that’s what it will take) if an only if Gase pounds the table for a guy- which I dont expect.

I sure as heck am not trusting Mike T’s evaluation. The thing is I’m not tradiing draft capital just because lets say for instance I’m not a Ryan believer. They better have a real strong conviction. I suspect QB to be a consideration later possibly.

I’m going to bet that Gase bets his future on Ryan as the QB, because let’s face it- he either sinks or swims with him or another QB of his chossing IMO.

I’m not so sure we are as far away as some others with fixing the rest of the team.

zach attach likes this.
  40. hoops

you trade up you are gonna lose your 2nd round pick in the process probably to even get to 8