Miami is efficient in red zone | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami is efficient in red zone

Kyndig

Seasoned Veteran
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

Past 3 games we are 80% in red zone and number 3 rated with Tua behind center.

13th for the season but if u click on last 3 column above you will see we’re just behind Pittsburgh and bizarrely Carolina.

offense is better than people think. We need running game to hopefully improve and that will impact short yardage, but Tua is accurate, efficient, and offense is converting red zone opportunities at a very high level. Overall stats such as yards and touchdowns have been impacted by special teams and defensive plays that have either resulted in a shorter field to drive for the offense, or fewer snaps because of defensive or special teams scores. However, when the offense has had chances in The red zone it has converted Over 80% of those opportunities with Tua at the helm. Offense isn’t as bad as some people may think just looking at YPG. Rushing Offense definitely needs improvement, but last week it looked solid, let’s see if we run well this week too?

Last edited:
I personally dont think the offense is better than people think, Tua is. This was the same offense under RF that had one of the worst red zone percentages and he had a healthy Preston Williams and Myles Gaskin... the only difference is Tua. Tua is doing more with less but it does seem like the team as a whole is getting better every week.

This team needs a cowbell RB and at least 1 more explosive WR to become great imo.

Last edited:
I personally dont think the offense is better than people think, Tua is. This was the same offense under RF that had one of the worst red zone percentages and he had a healthy Preston Williams and Myles Gaskin... the only difference is Tua.
Yes, the stats and top 3 red Zone efficiency ranking are when Tua has been behind center.

Past 3 games we are 80% in red zone and number 3 rated with Tua behind center.

13th for the season but if u click on last 3 column above you will see we’re just behind Pittsburgh and bizarrely Carolina.

Carolina is a really well coached team. There isn't a whole lot of talent there but they play for Rhule and don't make a whole lot of mistakes.

That being said I do think there's a fair amount of luck involved in red zone efficiency. Its such a small sample size that a few chance occurrences can swing it one way or another.

Carolina is a really well coached team. There isn't a whole lot of talent there but they play for Rhule and don't make a whole lot of mistakes.

That being said I do think there's a fair amount of luck involved in red zone efficiency. Its such a small sample size that a few chance occurrences can swing it one way or another.

I think that mentality comes when you have a mediocre QB. Like with Tannehill. Since he didnt have the touch and accuracy to throw a well timed back shoulder fade in the endzone most of his trips into the red zone could go either way.

With Tua, his 50/50 balls are more like 75/25 in favor of the WR. The DB would need to make a great play to intercept most of his passes.

I personally dont think the offense is better than people think, Tua is. This was the same offense under RF that had one of the worst red zone percentages and he had a healthy Preston Williams and Myles Gaskin... the only difference is Tua. Tua is doing more with less but it does seem like the team as a whole is getting better every week.

This team needs a cowbell RB and at least 1 more explosive WR to become great imo.
Tua is a big difference, but he is not the only differences. Most of the players are improving during the season.

For as fun as a guy Fitz was and I did like to root for him, he left a lot of plays on the fields for us. The coaching staff probably got sick of watching those red zone All 22s. Tua coming in was the right move.

Last edited:
I think that mentality comes when you have a mediocre QB. Like with Tannehill. Since he didnt have the touch and accuracy to throw a well timed back shoulder fade in the endzone most of his trips into the red zone could go either way.

With Tua, his 50/50 balls are more like 75/25 in favor of the WR. The DB would need to make a great play to intercept most of his passes.

There's no doubt QB play has a massive impact on whether an offense can finish off a drive. I don't think that's really up for debate.

But just in that Chargers game in the redzone you had all sorts of what I would consider "luck" plays. An offsides on a field goal attempt extends a drive, a bad snap ends another. Gailey made a call the faked out the entire Charger's defense with that Smythe td, and just before the first field goal attempt he made a call that was snuffed out immediately.

Just one of these events, none of which have anything to do with QB play, goes another direction and you have an entirely different narrative.

There's no doubt QB play has a massive impact on whether an offense can finish off a drive. I don't think that's really up for debate.

But just in that Chargers game in the redzone you had all sorts of what I would consider "luck" plays. An offsides on a field goal attempt extends a drive, a bad snap ends another. Gailey made a call the faked out the entire Charger's defense with that Smythe td, and just before the first field goal attempt he made a call that was snuffed out immediately.

Just one of these events, none of which have anything to do with QB play, goes another direction and you have an entirely different narrative.
Agree with your last paragraph. There are moments in any game that can swing the outcome.

I don't believe in "luck", though, as that implies something like supernatural intervention.

What I do believe in is discipline. The most disciplined team, generally, makes fewer mistakes (your example of the offsides extending the drive).

It is no accident (luck) that the best teams are the most disciplined, and most sound from an execution standpoint. It is coaching.

I'm not saying the "best" team always wins, but their odds are surely better, and despite what some beleive, odds have nothing to do with luck either. It's just statistical probability.

Agree with your last paragraph. There are moments in any game that can swing the outcome.

I don't believe in "luck", though, as that implies something like supernatural intervention.

What I do believe in is discipline. The most disciplined team, generally, makes fewer mistakes (your example of the offsides extending the drive).

It is no accident (luck) that the best teams are the most disciplined, and most sound from an execution standpoint. It is coaching.

I'm not saying the "best" team always wins, but their odds are surely better, and despite what some beleive, odds have nothing to do with luck either. It's just statistical probability.

Not sure I completely agree. Good teams can overcome an 'accident.' Bad teams can't. That said, I agree with 'discipline.'

Not sure I completely agree. Good teams can overcome an 'accident.' Bad teams can't. That said, I agree with 'discipline.'
Good teams can overcome a lot against inferior opponents. It's much harder, though not impossible, against another good team.

If the good stuff is all good luck, why isn't the bad stuff all bad luck?

Back
Top Bottom