Miami Locker Room Troubles... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Locker Room Troubles...

Taco John

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Players upset with team's treatment of Gadsden

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

DAVIE, Fla. -- Pro Bowl cornerback Sam Madison became the latest Miami Dolphin to complain about the treatment of teammate Oronde Gadsden, saying the veteran receiver should have been offered more money to keep playing this year.

Gadsden will miss the rest of the season because of a torn ligament in his left wrist. He decided to undergo surgery rather than risk playing with the injury when the Dolphins rejected terms he sought in a contract extension. His current deal expires after this season.

"You have a guy who you say is one of your veteran leaders,'' Madison said Tuesday. "For something like this to happen is rough.''

To replace Gadsden, the Dolphins coaxed eight-time Pro Bowl receiver Cris Carter out of retirement Monday.

Safety Brock Marion and receiver James McKnight earlier complained about the way the organization handled Gadsden's situation. But several prominent Dolphins, including linebacker Zach Thomas, defensive end Jason Taylor, quarterback Jay Fiedler and running back Ricky Williams, said they were enthusiastic about the acquisition of Carter. Even Gadsden applauded the move.

Carter signed a one-year contract that guarantees him $550,000, but Madison said the Dolphins should have offered more to Gadsden.

"People always talk about how we have a lot of high salaries,'' he said. "We're not in the top five or top 10. We're in the bottom 10. Where's the money?''

The Dolphins rank 23rd of 32 NFL teams with a payroll of $56 million.

Coach Dave Wannstedt said he didn't plan to address the matter with his players.

"They are going to support each other, and I would be disappointed if they didn't,'' Wannstedt said. "My whole thing is that a guy is hurt; what do I need to do to try to get another player in here to help this team win?

"Our guys know that we have taken care of our guys. I feel great about the last four years, because we haven't brought in any $10 million guys from other teams. We have given the money to our guys and taken care of our guys. We will continue to do that.''

This is the kind of stuff that divides a locker room and makes losing streaks happen.

Good luck.

Our guys know that we have taken care of our guys. I feel great about the last four years, because we haven't brought in any $10 million guys from other teams. We have given the money to our guys and taken care of our guys. We will continue to do that.''

First win (Green Bay) and this all goes away. Also as you will see below, he is already starting to make an impression. Players were pissed about Daryl Gardner too, bu they got over it REAL quick.

Carter shows off new number and old form

By Alex Marvez
Staff Writer
Posted October 23 2002

DAVIE · He didn't want to negotiate for James McKnight's No. 80 jersey number. He didn't particularly care for the No. 85 that was assigned by the Dolphins.

But if Cris Carter can make one-handed touchdown catches in games as he did Tuesday in his first practice, the future Hall of Fame wide receiver should have no problem growing comfortable wearing No. 88.

"He can still catch the football," coach Dave Wannstedt said Tuesday. "He jumped right in and mixed in with the guys. It's hot today, so he's in better shape than I thought."

Carter had worn No. 80 throughout his 15 pro seasons but decided not to pursue trading jerseys with McKnight. Carter petitioned tight end Desmond Clark to swap his No. 88 jersey.

"I told [McKnight] he was better off keeping No. 80," Carter said. "He's got family and people that are used to seeing him in 80. My brother [Butch] wore No. 88 in high school, and he was kind of my role model, so I wore 88. Also, Michael Irvin is one of my favorite receivers, so I'm going to resurrect Michael Irvin."

Carter is trying to resurrect his football skills after almost five months in retirement. Signed Monday to replace the injured Oronde Gadsden (wrist), Carter is cramming to learn offensive coordinator Norv Turner's playbook so he can at least contribute, if not start, in the Nov. 4 game at Green Bay.

Carter said one of the biggest challenges is learning new play-calling terminology after playing in Minnesota the past 12 seasons.

"The offense in Minnesota was very similar," Carter said. "They just call certain things that mean something else. It's probably going to take me a good month to be where I'm really comfortable. That doesn't mean I can't play when I'm not comfortable. But in a good month I think I'll be back where I was before."

If that happens, the offense will receive a huge boost from the NFL's No. 2 all-time receiver. Carter, 36, had his string of 1,000-yard seasons end at eight in 2001, but he still finished with 73 receptions for 871 yards and six touchdowns.

Carter impressed several new teammates in Tuesday's non-contact practice.

"He's fantastic," quarterback Sage Rosenfels said. "He can do it all as good as advertised."

One thing Carter didn't get to do Tuesday was work with the top two quarterbacks. Jay Fiedler remains sidelined with a thumb injury, and Ray Lucas was held out because of a hip pointer suffered in Sunday's 23-10 loss to Buffalo.

Carter, though, wasn't concerned that Rosenfels and Dave Dickinson were the ones throwing him the football.

"It didn't hurt timing with me in Minnesota. I'm used to a new quarterback every year," said Carter, who caught passes from at least 10 quarterbacks with the Vikings. "We just kind of got used to that. To me, if you run the routes the same way and you run full speed, it's easier for the quarterbacks.

"For Ray, he's banged up. That's the NFL. Some days you have to pick up the slack because a guy has to take a day off. We'll work it out."

A different jersey isn't the only new thing Carter is getting used to.

"It's a little strange not having the horns on my helmet," Carter said. "A little strange."

Alex Marvez can be reached at amarvez@sun-sentinel.com.

Copyright © 2002, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Originally posted by Taco John
This is the kind of stuff that divides a locker room and makes losing streaks happen.

Good luck.

Dude, shut up. What kind of no-life pathetic a$$hole goes to the message board of a team that beat his team TWO WEEKS PRIOR (hello get over it allready) and posts taunting messages about alleged locker room troubles?

I can understand being upset that we beat your dirty team in your own house, but dude... let it go.

:monkey:Taco_John

WHAT THE HELL, these Denver fans are still in here trying to find a way to make us feel bad. Well tacoman, sorry to burst your bubble but we beat you. And you Clump, we meet you again, so don't count your eggs just yet. In case you didn't notice, you barely won, and we are still in first place. One more thing Mr Chimichanga, You better hope New England gets off the slump or you all will have to fight off KC for a chance at 3rd place, cause you can't beat Oakland.

Drunken Quarterbacks are reason for losing streaks. Tripped over the dog my ass.

Originally posted by MarinoFan
Drunken Quarterbacks are reason for losing streaks. Tripped over the dog my ass.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny Marinofan!

This Taco John guy is the jerk who is the moderator from the Denver forum. He deletes and alters posts there when he doesn't like the content, even if its a good clean football point. Anything less than "Denver is great!" gets screwed with. So now you know the classless, spinelss, loser you are dealing with. That loss must hurt awful bad for him to still be here.

PS
Bills fans:

We are STILL number one in the division!!

Thats all that matters baby! You will still be watching us in the playoffs, as usual!!

PSS
I hope you guys are man enough to show up here after we hand you your nuggets in Buffalo.

Originally posted by BigDoug

Whut? Next year? With another team?

Another BRILLIANT thought pointed out by Bigdoug. The Smack Jedi strikes again.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom