Miami Mock Before Combine(trade ahead) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Mock Before Combine(trade ahead)

MiamiDolfan85

DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY
Reaction score
I just feel like this one is gonna get done one way or another. I just hope we don't trade any 1st this year. We need a youth injection of talent in this system right away. I think we come out good if only 1st we surrender is a 2021, one.

1.) Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama(6'1",219)

**Miami trades 5, Houstons 2021 1st + 39 + 1 5th round selection

Washington gets**

1b.) AJ Epenesa, DE Iowa(6'6",285)

1c.) Josh Jones, LT Houston(6'5",310)

2.) Isiah Wilson, RT Georgia(6'7",340)

3.) Adam Trautman, TE Dayton(6'6",255)

5.) Joshua Kelley, RB UCLA(5'11",213)

5b.) K'Shawn Vaughn, RB Vanderbilt(5'10",215)

6.) Justin Hill, WR Mount Union(6'3",191)

6b.) Justin Blackmon, FS Utah(6'1",204)

7.) Josiah Coatney, NT Ole Miss(6'4",325)

EDIT: I don't think we'll take more than 10 drafted rookies(chances are one of the late rounders will be PS). My current count is 9. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I love the 1st two picks, Jones gives me a bit of pause he's just a little raw imo but I'd be "okay" with him.

I would like to explore Cushenberry at that pick as I think he'll creep up into the end of the 1st come draft day (obviously depending on how FA shakes out)

IF Tua is going to be a Frachise guy then that trade is perfectly reasonable, maybe even a bargain.

But his durability issues make him such a gamble......................you better be right.

I usually subscribe to the "you have to bet big to win big" philosophy so I would be cool with this, presuming Miami's medical staff clears him on the hip.

Disagreed once I saw trade up
I too am not in favor of trading up. I would personally sit at 5 and take the BPA. But I don't think Ross is going for that. I'm projecting what I think the TEAM will do. Not me. I just personally believe Ross is gonna twist Griers' arm to make Tua a Dolphin. One way, or another.

IF Tua is going to be a Frachise guy then that trade is perfectly reasonable, maybe even a bargain.

But his durability issues make him such a gamble......................you better be right.

I usually subscribe to the "you have to bet big to win big" philosophy so I would be cool with this, presuming Miami's medical staff clears him on the hip.

Don't forget, by definition, BIG gambles imply lower risk of success, thus, the "BIG gamble." I'm not a big gambler.

The good news is, teams will know more about Tua before draft day. Obviously, not enough to remove all risk, but enough to be able to get a better idea of 'the gamble.' The bad news is, all teams will have the data. I'm more of a 'take a reasonable risk' guy. I'd be happier with a greater chance (lower risk) of a top 10 QB than a high risk 'might be elite' guy. IMO, a lot of the debate is in risk tolerance. The cost of failure is lower at #5 than #3.

Nope. Sit at 5 and keep our picks. Good things will be there!
Exactly. There is always a reason a prospects family and agent talk and it is always to bump up value. I guarantee you they can see him falling and want to make sure he goes no further than 5th overall.

Disagreed once I saw trade up

I don't really get this statement. The Chiefs gave up 2 firsts and a third to get Mahomes, do you think for a moment they regret doing that. If you think you have your guy a QB, you pay what you need to to get him. Sometimes you end up with a lousy deal because you used draft capital to get a Turbisky or a Darnold but you can also win a superbowl because you picked up a Mahomes or a Wentz.

It's a roll of the dice, but if there were ever a time to roll that dice it's in the year where we have 3 first round picks on a player who would be out of our reach had he not suffered a injury. We're lucky to still be in with a good chance of taking him and spurning that chance is so what we've been guilty of doing for the past 20 or so years, time to change track, that track wasn't working.

Thank you no, take Herbert at #5.

Agreed. I’m not giving up 5 picks to move up 2 spots to draft Tua. I’d consider it if he didn’t have pattern of injuries. I would move up if we can get a Dion Jordan type of deal, but I don’t think that’s happening this year. Herbert is going to be a good QB.

Here's a question. If Miami doesn't trade up for Tua, will another team? I think the Raiders or Chargers could. If that happens, then will a team want to leapfrog the Dolphins to draft Herbert?

In other words, standing pat and picking at #5 could cost the team a shot at Tua and Herbert. I guess that's the kind of question GM's have to deal with.

IF a QB is on the board at 5 and Miami does not want him I like the idea of enticing a team to jump in front of The Bolts and add even more picks.

Then maybe you grab Love in the middle of round 1 somewhere and coach him up for a year behind Fitz/Rosen.

Back
Top Bottom