Miami needs another WR, why? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami needs another WR, why?

Bobby Humphrey

I got cut
Reaction score
I have read on here time and time again that Miami needs another WR. I can't figure it out, I can count on one hand how many NFL teams have a better WR crop than us. Gadsden is very solid, Chambers could have the most up side in the league. I am not big on Mckight, but he almost got 1 000 yards on a bad Cowboy team. Ward is very good, and under used. I don't know anything about Simmons. If we spend money on another WR, that means we will be spending money on a back up in a non-need position. Or we will convert Gadsden to a 3rd WR, and he is too good to be a 3rd WR. I guess we could run 3 WR sets, but Turner likes Fullbacks and Tight ends. (so do I) I think if we get another WR we are just buying problems for our selves. But that is just what I think, I was wrong once before.

I dont think that the dolphins need a WR. I think they need some new a good sized linemen. we have 4 very good WR they just got a little beat up last year. We have all the WR we need for a while.

Sterling Wilcox

Well, the Dolphins have a decent WR core... but in my opinion they are all second-rate receivers. And, because of that I don't consider them at the top of the heap in the NFL when it comes to WR talent. Sure we have more DEPTH ... but ALL of our receivers have cone problem or another. And DEPTH at the wide receiver position isn't needed for a successful passing attack. You need one sure-fire, threat to make a BIG play on every down receiver. Chambers might be that receiver one day, but as of now... he needs to add a LOT of polish to his game.

That is why I was hoping the Dolphins would add Carter or McCardell... but too late for that. And, now IMO there is nobody else worthy of pursuing, so it is a moot point.

But, Just to back up my point that our receiving core isn't all that many of you think it is cracked up to be...

A) We don't have a SINGLE receiver to EVER have a 60+ catch season in his career.
B) We don't have a SINGLE receiver to EVER have a 1000+ yard season in his carrer.
C) Of the top 10 passing teams last year 9 of them had receivers with 60+ catches, 6 of those had 2 receivers to top that milestone.
D) Of the top 10 passing teams last year 8 of them had receivers with 1000+ yard seasons.

That is why I was in favor of bringing in a receiver that is a known quantity and consistently HIGH-LEVEL performer. Gadsden consistently makes acrobatic catches and is good for ~800 yards and around 50 or so catches... but that is not enough. In order for our passing attack to be a true threat... it will be up to McKnight and Chambers to step up their play and make more plays more often.

grooves12, you made some very good points, but my mind is still unchanged, but that is just my opinion. What I am really angry about is that the space bar on this computer is broken.

Why do the dolphins need another reciever? Have we forgot what happened in the playoffs when Chris Chambers couldn't go. Nobody was able to step up at wr. Also you have to look at the health of the wrs. Oronde Gadsen - How long will his foot let him play and its only an injury that will get worse over time, not better. Chris Chambers- Has had assortment of minor injuries already(Hamstrings Etc) You have to protect yourself in case of injury. You might not need a wr but if someone get injured , its nice to have someone who could fill in without really limiting your offense.

Three of our WRs (Ward, McKnight, Chambers) have had an 800 yard season either last season or the year before, and I think Gadsden had 800 in 2000 as well, but I am not sure.

Ogden sucks. If the spot is in question get rid of him and bring in a good WR. Marion or Minor can handle PR duties. Carter may have been a big distraction on the sideline if he's not inserted in the game but there has to be someone else.

No we do not. McCardell would have been a great pick up, but wanted more than we could pay considering we must sign another DE.

Chambers will get 60+ recs and 1000 yards this season. Hell, he got 48 and 800+ last year as a part-timer.

Originally posted by Footballfanatic
Why do the dolphins need another reciever? Have we forgot what happened in the playoffs when Chris Chambers couldn't go. Nobody was able to step up at wr. Also you have to look at the health of the wrs. Oronde Gadsen - How long will his foot let him play and its only an injury that will get worse over time, not better. Chris Chambers- Has had assortment of minor injuries already(Hamstrings Etc) You have to protect yourself in case of injury. You might not need a wr but if someone get injured , its nice to have someone who could fill in without really limiting your offense.

It's nice to have some one who can fill in at EVERY position without missing a beat but it's not possible......Mcknight Chambers and Ward were all first year players with the Dolphins and Jay Fiedler, with another year under their belts working together, they should all improve on their numbers.
And before you go calling Chambers injury prone, you need to understand what happens when you come back from a knee or ankle injury.....all the limping and compensation that you do for the injured leg results in some muscle atrophy, especially the hamstring because of non use. Your whole walking motion is changed. A hamstring injury usually follows any one coming back from Knee or anke injuries. Wait until he's had a chance to get those muscles used to working again before you say he is injury prone.

We were a running team last year (albeit a poor one), and didn't have the type of O designed for WR's to get 90+ catches like a WCO would.

Don't fall in love with stats. There are teams with big WR #'s that finished near or below .500; stats are meaningless in that regard.

W's and L's.

Originally posted by Dr. Love
We were a running team last year (albeit a poor one), and didn't have the type of O designed for WR's to get 90+ catches like a WCO would.

Don't fall in love with stats. There are teams with big WR #'s that finished near or below .500; stats are meaningless in that regard.

W's and L's.

True, I agree with you there... but I think my point was more that on most teams our WR's be all be forced into a #2 or #3 role (except for MAYBE Chambers... but he hasn't proven he is a true #1 yet) I was hoping we could get a solid receiver that could be counted on for the whole offense to go through him if need be. But, like I said its too late for that, so we will just have to sit back, cross our fingers, and hope Chambers explodes onto the scene this year.

Originally posted by grooves12
so we will just have to sit back, cross our fingers, and hope Chambers explodes onto the scene this year.
Chambers exploded onto the scene last year - he led the NFL in yard per catch. Now he just needs to prove he's a #1 WR by running more routes and making the easy catches as well as the spectacular catches

Originally posted by dolphan39
Chambers exploded onto the scene last year - he led the NFL in yard per catch. Now he just needs to prove he's a #1 WR by running more routes and making the easy catches as well as the spectacular catches

Your definition of exploding onto the scene and mine, are quite different then. 800 yards and 40 catches is nt an explosion to me. That is average "good" receiver stats. David Boston "exploded" last year (although his steroid usage helped that), Randy Moss exploded his rookie season, Marvin Harrison did it 3 years ago (three years after he entered the league and was a consistent 800 yard performer.)

He needs to get somewhere in the range of 1200+ yards in order to be in the "explosive" category IMO.

How many receivers have had 60 catches and 1000 yards under Chan Gailey's offense?

We need offensive linemen. You want to talk about a corps (that is the way it is spelled) that is full of second tier players, look at the OL.

Back
Top Bottom