Miami Needs Durable WRs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Needs Durable WRs

I wonder how much though confer with Tua about those Bama receivers?
My guess would be none as far as talent. Tua isn't talent evaluator.

Maybe if they want to get a sense of personality, or work ethic.

My guess would be none as far as talent. Tua isn't talent evaluator.

Maybe if they want to get a sense of personality, or work ethic.

he can tell them
What type of food they enjoy in the cafeteria and where they like to sit when in their wr/qb meetings

He was probably the smartest at getting what you can and getting down correctly immediately. Tory Holt, Isaac Bruce was like that too.
Holt and Bruce woul run out of bounds at the first sign of an impending hit. I don't blame them either. They were both top level route runners with great hands and deceptively fast/quick when setting up a DB.

Yes Miami needs durable WRs. Starts with size and speed. Dudes. Not this crap we’ve been dealing with. Same at RB.

grant
Wilson
Perry
Bowden
Hurns
Williams
Ford

All a bunch of minimal bodies with minimal skill. GET SOME SPECIMENS
I get what you are saying.... but, Preston is a big man. Hurns isn’t small either.

PW- 6’ 5” (210)

hurns is like 6’ 1” and Ford is 6’ 2”, they’re both just smaller- in that 195 range

Parker is big and fast

i don’t think this is a size issue

Holt and Bruce woul run out of bounds at the first sign of an impending hit. I don't blame them either. They were both top level route runners with great hands and deceptively fast/quick when setting up a DB.
True. Part of the it too with Miami’s WRs is the schemes and play calling is for them always catch stuff in traffic and they almost always get hit immediately after the catch. No WRs are going to last 17 games like that every year. They need to catch stuff in space so they can actually have a chance at avoiding contact.

I love the way Smith always gets separation and is great with YAC. Those are the characteristics our receivers need.

I get what you are saying.... but, Preston is a big man. Hurns isn’t small either.

PW- 6’ 5” (210)

hurns is like 6’ 1” and Ford is 6’ 2”, they’re both just smaller- in that 195 range

Parker is big and fast

i don’t think this is a size issue
Size is critical, but maybe what i really mean is physicality. All three guys you mention, Ford, PW, and Hurns, PLAY SMALL. And our small guys of course play smaller (ie Grant). It's about body position and being strong enough on a quick slant to fend off the defender. This was glaringly apparent in week 17 against the Bills. Unreliable hands, no ability to fend off defenders, and total lack of 50-50 ball wins. We need guys that can "box out" defensive backs, high point balls, and catch with their hands. Add speed as the fourth core competency, then finally route running and sixth durability. We need guys that check all 6 boxes.

Box out/physicality
High Point
Hand Catch
Speed
Route running
Durability

If these were the 6 competencies we would use as WR core items we look for, who on roster has all 6? Who even has 3?

Parker? 4
Grant? 1-2
Ford? 1-2
Perry? 1-2
Bowden? 1-2
PW? 2
Hurns? 2
Wilson? 2

You get the point. Please don't flame me in my evals of our current roster or the core competencies I suggested. Bottom line is the WR group is severely lacking in the competencies we need. No way will we have a room with a bunch of 6's, but how about two sixes, a five, and three guys with 2-4?

Example: AJ Brown, Titans: 6-0 and 225. He checks possibly all 6 of these competencies.

Size is critical, but maybe what i really mean is physicality. All three guys you mention, Ford, PW, and Hurns, PLAY SMALL. And our small guys of course play smaller (ie Grant). It's about body position and being strong enough on a quick slant to fend off the defender. This was glaringly apparent in week 17 against the Bills. Unreliable hands, no ability to fend off defenders, and total lack of 50-50 ball wins. We need guys that can "box out" defensive backs, high point balls, and catch with their hands. Add speed as the fourth core competency, then finally route running and sixth durability. We need guys that check all 6 boxes.

Box out/physicality
High Point
Hand Catch
Speed
Route running
Durability

If these were the 6 competencies we would use as WR core items we look for, who on roster has all 6? Who even has 3?

Parker? 4
Grant? 1-2
Ford? 1-2
Perry? 1-2
Bowden? 1-2
PW? 2
Hurns? 2
Wilson? 2

You get the point. Please don't flame me in my evals of our current roster or the core competencies I suggested. Bottom line is the WR group is severely lacking in the competencies we need. No way will we have a room with a bunch of 6's, but how about two sixes, a five, and three guys with 2-4?

Example: AJ Brown, Titans: 6-0 and 225. He checks possibly all 6 of these competencies.
On point post man, you explained it very well. I wasnt trying to flame you before or anything, more so just pointing out we had some size on the roster (some) but yeah they don’t really play up to it

although I think Parker, Preston, and Gesicki do decently in the contested catch department ..... or rookie Preston at least

Box out/physicality
High Point
Hand Catch
Speed
Route running
Durability

Parker? 4
Grant? 1-2
Ford? 1-2
Perry? 1-2
Bowden? 1-2
PW? 2
Hurns? 2
Wilson? 2

Yeah this is a fair evaluation. Parker should be a number 2 going forward. Everyone else is fighting for a roster spot at this point.

Bowden and perry are ex qbs and they needed time to develop but were pushed out there. They can just end up being Albert Wilson's but we sure don't need 3, let alone 2 of them.

Grant and Ford can GTFO. They both have had years to develop and become reliable. Instead both showed why they were 7th rounders and another year is wasting everyone's time. Grant is also the same type of player as Albert Wilson. That makes four gadget guys.

Williams and hurns are late rounders and are either injured or limited in terms of impact. They are nice options but you should also be hunting for replacements.

Overall we need to improve the overall skill set of the group. Because we have a bunch of gadget guys, possession recievers and failed projects. It's going to take some work to fix this

I watched the entire game. Garbage time? Pitt came back didn't they after being down 28-0. Schuster played a big part in that.
When your down by 28, the D tends to back off, and give you a lot of room in front of them.

I wouldn't say garbage time, but the defense wasn't pressing the issue with their DBs

I would not be upset at all if Miami completely revamped the WR unit this off-season.

Parker always knicked up every season outside of last year.

Preston Williams ended the season on IR for the 2nd consecutive season.

Grant ended the season on IR for the 3rd consecutive season.

Need WRs that can help toward a December playoff push by actually being available.
Tell us something we don't know. If they are not skipping the season they are dinged. Getting separation and dowfield would have been a bonus. Didnt see either beit talent or OC calling. Add Parker who once again failed on stats and actual playing time again. That WR unit is the weakest on the team. Doesn't help a rookie QB when his RBs were hardly lighting it up either.

Back
Top Bottom