Miami needs to go all out and get Eric Berry! Plain and Simple | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami needs to go all out and get Eric Berry! Plain and Simple

Our backfield which was a weakness last year would be the strongest in the NFL. Just with the Berry signing. .

I'd love Berry but I think it may be a stretch that he'd make our
backfield one of NFL's strongest unless he decides to play both offense and defense

I'd love Berry but I think it may be a stretch that he'd make our
backfield one of NFL's strongest unless he decides to play both offense and defense

You know my drift. * Defensive backfield

I don't like overspending on FA's, and he wouldn't exactly fill a high-priority need, but he's the kind of FA you overspend on. Safeties are still underpaid. If you can get him for less than Vernon's contract, you're landing a superstar. KC would be stupid to let him hit the market.

We already have one of the highest paid DT's in the league, now you want to add a player aiming to be the highest paid safety? :bobdole:

Scheme change and draft dedication would make a much bigger difference than trying to consistently add high-priced talent.

He'll be franchised

Berry said he will sit out the season if KC tries that. He wants to be paid as the best at his position, not the average of.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can effectively buy one expensive Free Agent. I don't think Berry should be the top priority. My inclination would be a DE or OG. However, Kansas City can only franchise tag one player and that is more likely to be Dontari Poe. The Chiefs are also up to their necks in what they can spend. They will have to cut some pretty good players and not re-sign some others to be under the salary cap. As a result, they may be vulnerable re Berry. However, the teams with absolutely massive funds available e.g. Cleveland, may want to make a big splash.

We should only sign Berry if it does not preclude us from signing a very good guard like Watford or Leary. The draft is for BPA that fits the system and need, FA is purely for filling holes with the best players you can afford.
I think it's a pipe dream, but if we can afford Leary and Berry (after already getting a great talent in Julius Thomas) and then get 2 really good front 7 players with our first 2 picks (hopefully a Mike like Davis and an end) then we will position ourselves to really make some noise in 2017. Again, probably a pipe dream, but if we can pull off the moves that I just laid out, we'll be massively improved and set up to make a real championship run.
**** man, now you got my hopes up lol.

should be fun to keep an eye on...I love Berry but demand a MLB

Anyone would love Berry, all things being equal. But when you look at our situation, I think we need to prioritize a high quality OG, a mid tier OG, a starting caliber LB or 2, depth on the Dline and signing our young talent. Then turn around and draft the best defensive players in round 1 and 2. This draft is supposed to be deep in safeties...if you did not get one in the first 2 rounds, grab a center fielder with range and ball skills to complement Jones in the mid rounds...

Problem is Berry doesnt want to be paid as the best safety, he wants to be paid as one of the best defensive players. If he was wanting a reasonable number at all, KC would have already signed him to it. They want to keep him. He wants dramatically overpaid, and we can't afford to do that. He also is not as good as his highlight reel makes him look. As someone who lives in KC and watches the Chiefs as my second team, I'm not sure that I want KC to invest to keep him even.

Yes! This IS....."exactly," where you want to spend your money.

He is a consummate leader. Something we desperately,yes desperately need, especially considering our inexperienced and unimpressive DC.

He is arguably the singular best free agent available, and there is a good chance that he will indeed be available considering how pissed off he was last year and this year has threatened not to play if franchised again. They may try to tag and trade him but the Chiefs are in some serious cap hell if they get stuck with paying him over 13 mil this year. Even if they cut Foles and Jamaal Charles, they have ten other free agents and a roster to fill and a rookie pool. KC has serious cap problems. Those are the only two guys who are even feasible to cut. Other guys getting paid would result in crushing amounts of dead cap.

By adding Berry you can then tender Michael Thomas and use him as trade bait in the late rounds or to recover the 2018 7th.

Acquiring Berry may also allow you to let Quddus compete at slot corner where he would be enormously better in run support than McCain.

Secondary depth is improved.

Elite character,strong work ethic,great locker room, high IQ,etc. Yes! This is exactly the kind of player to pay big money to. Eric Berry is the exact opposite of a Mike Wallace type guy. A player we gave 12 mil a year to.

Even if they tagged him I would still give up a mid-round pick for him. This is exactly the kind of player that will improve a team's record and show up big in the playoffs.

Huge Value!

Yes! This IS....."exactly," where you want to spend your money.

He is a consummate leader. Something we desperately,yes desperately need, especially considering our inexperienced and unimpressive DC.

He is arguably the singular best free agent available, and there is a good chance that he will indeed be available considering how pissed off he was last year and this year has threatened not to play if franchised again. They may try to tag and trade him but the Chiefs are in some serious cap hell if they get stuck with paying him over 13 mil this year. Even if they cut Foles and Jamaal Charles, they have ten other free agents and a roster to fill and a rookie pool. KC has serious cap problems. Those are the only two guys who are even feasible to cut. Other guys getting paid would result in crushing amounts of dead cap.

By adding Berry you can then tender Michael Thomas and use him as trade bait in the late rounds or to recover the 2018 7th.

Acquiring Berry may also allow you to let Quddus compete at slot corner where he would be enormously better in run support than McCain.

Secondary depth is improved.

Elite character,strong work ethic,great locker room, high IQ,etc. Yes! This is exactly the kind of player to pay big money to. Eric Berry is the exact opposite of a Mike Wallace type guy. A player we gave 12 mil a year to.

Even if they tagged him I would still give up a mid-round pick for him. This is exactly the kind of player that will improve a team's record and show up big in the playoffs.

Huge Value!

I agree with you. I'll probably be the only one who will agree with you.

Scheme changes are adjuster crap. You win with great players. The idea in free agency should be to go 1-0 every year with a legitimate star.

This is the equivalent of one of those absolutely loaded lockers in Storage Wars where only one or two bidders has any clue what they are doing. The conventional wisdom types would rather fight over the $800 or $1400 lockers instead of realizing that the $6000 locker might be worth $40,000.

I get sick of the Dolphins similarly pretending that those $800 or $1400 equivalency free agents are worth anything at all. The only thing they are good for is allowing me to confidently predict our record in the same range every season. Fiddle in the middle.

Besides, if we signed Berry we could allow Reshad Jones to walk next season. You win big with legitimately great players.

I agree with you. I'll probably be the only one who will agree with you.

Scheme changes are adjuster crap. You win with great players. The idea in free agency should be to go 1-0 every year with a legitimate star.

This is the equivalent of one of those absolutely loaded lockers in Storage Wars where only one or two bidders has any clue what they are doing. The conventional wisdom types would rather fight over the $800 or $1400 lockers instead of realizing that the $6000 locker might be worth $40,000.

I get sick of the Dolphins similarly pretending that those $800 or $1400 equivalency free agents are worth anything at all. The only thing they are good for is allowing me to confidently predict our record in the same range every season. Fiddle in the middle.

Besides, if we signed Berry we could allow Reshad Jones to walk next season. You win big with legitimately great players.

:lol: If scheme choices were left up to you, we'd still be touting the rudimentary system of Bill "White Dwarf" Lazor.

It's unwise to show contempt for things you do not comprehend.

Back
Top Bottom