Miami Pro Day | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Pro Day

Exactly. I understand folks on here like Pachyderm are better evaluators of talent than myself however Rosseau jumped off the screen for me all season where Phillips had a few great games but was invisible against any decent competition. I’m not saying Rosseau is a world beater and he isn’t great rushing outside either but I think we’re all putting way too much stock into combine numbers and not production on the field.
What tackle was he facing vs Va Tech?

When I was still working as an official, our association brought in a neurologist, and a couple of neurological therapists to explain just how dangerous concussions really were... and yes, once you start getting them, you are ever more likely to get more of them. The leading indicator of whether you will have future concussions is whether you've had them already.

One thing that we were taught is that even with the NFL level screenings, most neurologists think that the players return MUCH too quickly, and the 50s idea of "ha ha ha, he just got his bell rung" is extremely dangerous and stupid in the extreme.

Junior Seau.

I wouldn't touch Jaelen Phillips... and this is for his own good.

Last edited:
I would not take Oweh, at all. I would not take Kwity Paye on day 1 either so he is off my board too.
To me, once Jaelan Phillips is off the board because of medicals, it's down to Elerson Smith, and Perhaps Payton Turner (we'll see how he measures.), and then late day 2 Tarron Jackson. Joshua Kaindoh is also draftable.
To me those are the possible guys, Elerson, Turner (perhaps), Tarron, and Kaindoh.

I would not take Oweh, at all. I would not take Kwity Paye on day 1 either so he is off my board too.
To me, once Jaelan Phillips is off the board because of medicals, it's down to Elerson Smith, and Perhaps Payton Turner (we'll see how he measures.), and then late day 2 Tarron Jackson. Joshua Kaindoh is also draftable.
To me those are the possible guys, Elerson, Turner (perhaps), Tarron, and Kaindoh.
As usual, your takes are so much more extreme than mine.

I like Paye as an edge-setting DE that'll give you 5-8 sacks (like Lawson, but better), and Oweh will be, at least, a situational pass rusher who has the potential to grow into more. Maybe into a Matt Judon type with a bit more age and weight.

I have no idea the name of any of Virginia tech’s offensive lineman. Either way, you’re gonna use 1 game to prove your point?
No idea?

Figures you wouldn't...but that said, did you click the link? If you did you would see that there is more than one game in which he played well. The Va Tech game was used as an example of playing a game against a 1st round tackle. I didn't watch that game. I don't know how many times, if any, they may have crossed paths...but the crux of the matter is that he's had more than one game against good comp.

As usual, your takes are so much more extreme than mine.

I like Paye as an edge-setting DE that'll give you 5-8 sacks (like Lawson, but better), and Oweh will be, at least, a situational pass rusher who has the potential to grow into more. Maybe into a Matt Judon type with a bit more age and weight.

Yeah, perhaps he will give you 8 sacks, perhaps not. I certainly do not view him and his production as day 1. Imo the only day 1 DE is Phillips. And even he is end of day 1 because he needs to bulk up to 270.

No idea?

Figures you wouldn't...but that said, did you click the link? If you did you would see that there is more than one game in which he played well. The Va Tech game was used as an example of playing a game against a 1st round tackle. I didn't watch that game. I don't know how many times, if any, they may have crossed paths...but the crux of the matter is that he's had more than one game against good comp.
I guess that’s subjective considering I don’t believe Miami has any competition in the ACC outside of Clemson and North Carolina. So I prob shouldn’t have even mentioned competition in the first place. That being said, I don’t know how anyone can watch Rosseaus 2019 and Phillips 2020 season and come away with Phillips being a better prospect. Again, I think too much stock is going into his 40 time and also him being a top high school prospect, unlike rosseau. And I’m not even getting into the concussions which is dead on arrival for me if I’m chris Grier.

I guess that’s subjective considering I don’t believe Miami has any competition in the ACC outside of Clemson and North Carolina. So I prob shouldn’t have even mentioned competition in the first place. That being said, I don’t know how anyone can watch Rosseaus 2019 and Phillips 2020 season and come away with Phillips being a better prospect. Again, I think too much stock is going into his 40 time and also him being a top high school prospect, unlike rosseau. And I’m not even getting into the concussions which is dead on arrival for me if I’m chris Grier.
How'd you feel about Tua's broken hip?

I wanna see something....

in order to have double digit sack potential as an edge rusher you’re required to have a certain skillset. You must have the speed and flexibility to beat tackles on the corner. That threat is what gets ‘em to open up. Beyond that, you’re required to have counters off of the speed threat.

Speed, lower body explosion, burst, flexibility, COD, and hand usage. These are the ingredients to facilitate double digit sack potential.

Rousseau doesn’t have the ingredients. Being 6’7” slow off the snap with a bull rush won’t get it done. I’m awful curious to know what tackles in the NFL Greg Rousseau is going to rack up double digit sacks against. He couldn’t beat ACC offensive tackles.

Furthermore, QB’s aren’t going to run themselves into the sacks Rousseau accumulated in 2019. Guards in the NFL aren’t going to be as horribly off balance as those true freshman Bambi guards he was racking up sacks against FSU, Virginia Tech and Duke. The sack came against a freshman TE James Mitchell against VT.

It’s similar to expecting Chainkwon Davis to produce anything behind the LOS because he’s 6’7”. They just don’t have the skillset for it.

I don’t know how anyone could watch Rousseau in 2019 and Phillips in 2020 and come away thinking Rousseau is a better prospect. In terms of edge rush potential it’s not even a fair fight. Two entirely different classifications of pass rushers. Rousseau isn’t in Michael Johnson territory. He doesn’t possess that skillset.

I’m taking Phillips over Rousseau 15 times outta 10. The concussions are a concern and he has to stay healthy. But he’s the best edge rusher that I watched on film.

in order to have double digit sack potential as an edge rusher you’re required to have a certain skillset. You must have the speed and flexibility to beat tackles on the corner. That threat is what gets ‘em to open up. Beyond that, you’re required to have counters off of the speed threat.

Speed, lower body explosion, burst, flexibility, COD, and hand usage. These are the ingredients to facilitate double digit sack potential.

Rousseau doesn’t have the ingredients. Being 6’7” slow off the snap with a bull rush won’t get it done. I’m awful curious to know what tackles in the NFL Greg Rousseau is going to rack up double digit sacks against. He couldn’t beat ACC offensive tackles.

Furthermore, QB’s aren’t going to run themselves into the sacks Rousseau accumulated in 2019. Guards in the NFL aren’t going to be as horribly off balance as those true freshman Bambi guards he was racking up sacks against FSU, Virginia Tech and Duke. The sack came against a freshman TE James Mitchell against VT.

It’s similar to expecting Chainkwon Davis to produce anything behind the LOS because he’s 6’7”. They just don’t have the skillset for it.

I don’t know how anyone could watch Rousseau in 2019 and Phillips in 2020 and come away thinking Rousseau is a better prospect. In terms of edge rush potential it’s not even a fair fight. Two entirely different classifications of pass rushers. Rousseau isn’t in Michael Johnson territory. He doesn’t possess that skillset.

I’m taking Phillips over Rousseau 15 times outta 10. The concussions are a concern and he has to stay healthy. But he’s the best edge rusher that I watched on film.
You don’t find Phillips lack of consistent production concerning against inferior competition?

Phillips is the best pass rusher I watched, but I'm definitely concerned with his medical history.

Same for me. To me, he's Edge #1, no question. The only concern is the medical......which by all accounts is a mess. The concussions are concerning but that wrist is just as much. It sounds like it needed multiple surgeries and i'd like to see how much residual damage is in there.

Back
Top Bottom