Club Member
Reaction score
How's this for mixed signals:

Saban makes a public statement that Feeley is his starter

He then signs Ferotte

He signs Sage

He then makes noise and may likely draft a QB

What the h-ell is up with that??

Smoke screens everywhere. I say it is all BS and we are going to draft a RB with whatever pick we have.

I would say there's an 80% chance that you're exactly right.

I think it makes for an interesting draft.

The NFL should be paying Saban extra, knowing that his manuvering will have every phin fan in this solar system tuned in to the draft coverage...

I don't think they would be putting as much work into evaluating quarterbacks if they weren't thinking about taking one high in the draft. I agree though, their first pick will likely be a running back, though I believe Alex Smith will change that if he's available.

fin-atic said:
How's this for mixed signals:

Saban makes a public statement that Feeley is his starter

He then signs Ferotte

He signs Sage

He then makes noise and may likely draft a QB

What the h-ell is up with that??

Smoke screens everywhere. I say it is all BS and we are going to draft a RB with whatever pick we have.

I cannot believe that there are people out there that still believe that Saban made a direct statement saying that Feeley was the starter. He NEVER made such a statement. He said that he would give Feeley a shot, not that he was unequivocally the starter.

Apparently you missed AJ's interview with Schefter on Total Access. When asked by Adam if Saban directly told him that he was the starter, AJ replied "No"

I dont know how much clearer you can get

if smith is there @ #2 we take him. feeley will be cut & freotte will take over and groom smith to be the future qb.feeley has already shown us what he is capable of...

FINFAN227 said:
if smith is there @ #2 we take him. feeley will be cut & freotte will take over and groom smith to be the future qb.feeley has already shown us what he is capable of...
Alex Smith= Ken Dorsey

Dudeman said:
I cannot believe that there are people out there that still believe that Saban made a direct statement saying that Feeley was the starter. He NEVER made such a statement. He said that he would give Feeley a shot, not that he was unequivocally the starter.

Apparently you missed AJ's interview with Schefter on Total Access. When asked by Adam if Saban directly told him that he was the starter, AJ replied "No"

Okay, but that changes little regarding my point. He went through the trouble to publicly endorse AJ as a CANDIDATE for the starting job (happy?)

That does not answer why he would then think about taking a QB or is he really thinking about it?

Dudeman said:

Exactly! My thoughts exactly, you took the words right out of my mouth; word for word. Though I do agree with fin-atic that Saban is sending everyone smoke signals. That's just common sense, why would he tell the media who he really plans on picking without some sort of plan?

you might be right.. but if sadan does take him let`s hope not. i did`nt say i that`s what i wanted, i`m just trying to figure out what`s happening......

inFINSible said:
Alex Smith= Ken Dorsey

Alex Smith = A bigger Ken Dorsey with a stronger arm and more athleticism.

Basically, Alex Smith has the qualities that are lacking in Ken Dorsey. Those qualities are the only thing that is keeping Ken Dorsey from being a great NFL QB.

If Ken Dorsey had the physical tools of Alex Smith, San Francisco wouldn't be drafting a QB first overall.

fin-atic said:
Okay, but that changes little regarding my point. He went through the trouble to publicly endorse AJ as a CANDIDATE for the starting job (happy?)

That does not answer why he would then think about taking a QB or is he really thinking about it?

To me it sounded like he was saying AJ would be the starter going into Training Camp. And if you think about it at the time we had no other QB on the roster (Sage was a FA, Fiedler was gone.) I don't see any logic in Saban just handing AJ the job, let alone based on last season. He's got A LOT to prove. I would like to think Saban is smart enough to not just hand AJ the starting job. He brought Frerotte in for some veteran leadership because he stated he'd want a Veteran QB, a youthful/Rookie QB (That would be Sage I guess not sure why we resigned him he might get cut or we might end up drafting a rookie whether it's in the 1st or mid rounds), and the incumbent which would be AJ. Though I do agree he's been sending smoke signals, I do not agreed that AJ or anyone for that matter is going to be our starting QB in his eyes so far. And I definitely wouldn't consider a QB with our first pick being out of the question either.

KB21 said:
Alex Smith = A bigger Ken Dorsey with a stronger arm and more athleticism.

Basically, Alex Smith has the qualities that are lacking in Ken Dorsey. Those qualities are the only thing that is keeping Ken Dorsey from being a great NFL QB.

If Ken Dorsey had the physical tools of Alex Smith, San Francisco wouldn't be drafting a QB first overall.
they are both 6'4" and rail thin...they both have "adequate arm strength"....they both lead their college teams' to over 30 wins while starting....

the only way that Alex Smith cleary stands out over Ken Dorsey is his running ability.

Back
Top Bottom