Miami Quarterback Possibilities Via Trade

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10080863

MORE TRADE TALKS ...

As soon as one quarterback domino falls -- Matt Schaub to Houston -- others are sure to follow.
Next up are Trent Green, and David Carr, and the forgotten Daunte Culpepper.
Only Culpepper cannot be discounted, unfortunately for the Dolphins.
His salary-cap figure for the coming season is scheduled to be $6.9 million, including a $5.5 million base salary.
And just as Houston cannot carry two high-priced quarterbacks in Schaub and Carr, Miami cannot carry two high-priced quarterbacks.
Other teams expect Houston to release Carr any day now, knowing the Texans already have traded for one high-priced starting quarterback and cannot and do not want to pay another.
Once Miami lands another quarterback -- and Green has the pole position -- then it is expected to act on Culpepper, possibly releasing the quarterback it acquired for a second-round pick only one year ago.
Should Miami release Culpepper, it will be hit with a salary-cap charge of $5.6 million -- but Culpepper's $5.5 million base salary will come off the books.
The idea of cutting Culpepper sounds preposterous, but remember this: new Dolphins coach Cam Cameron did not trade for the former Vikings quarterback. He has no allegiances to him. He wants his players for his system.
Cameron did coach Green in Washington with the Redskins for two seasons. Cameron also was a head coach at Indiana, the same school Green once quarterbacked. Cameron and Green know each other well, like each other plenty, and would welcome the chance to work together again.
The greater intrigue is where Culpepper might land. And that brings us back to the game of dominos.
Schaub is in Houston, Green seems destined to be a Dolphin, and that would leave Carr and Culpepper for the Vikings and Raiders, two teams still seeking to add a veteran quarterback.
The Vikings would be intrigued with Carr as long as they did not have to surrender any compensation to get him. Soon enough, they won't.
And should Carr surface with a Vikings team that has a better offensive line than the Raiders -- something he needs to succeed -- that could leave Culpepper for the Raiders.
The Raiders were intrigued with Culpepper last offseason before he was dealt to Miami. Now there is a chance they might be able to land him without any compensation.
He could be the perfect bridge, the quarterback to play until the Raiders deem potential No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell ready to take the field.
And just imagine this unlikely possibility: Oakland decides not to trade disgruntled wide receiver Randy Moss. And the Raiders do land Culpepper. It would be, once again, Culpepper to Moss

Green's Contract Holding up Trade

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2007/03/22/a1c_fins_0322.html

To acquire Green, the Dolphins likely would trade the second seventh-round draft pick they obtained from New England for receiver Wes Welker. But, sources said, the sticking point for the Green deal is money.
The Dolphins have $10.4 million left under the salary cap, according to a source. But about $5 million of that will go toward signing rookies. The team also wants to keep some money in case another team cuts a player this summer the Dolphins want.
The Dolphins are talking with Green's representatives and, a source said, the two sides are "in the same ballpark" and the deal is "still likely" to get done.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2007/03/22/a1c_fins_0322.html

To acquire Green, the Dolphins likely would trade the second seventh-round draft pick they obtained from New England for receiver Wes Welker. But, sources said, the sticking point for the Green deal is money.
The Dolphins have $10.4 million left under the salary cap, according to a source. But about $5 million of that will go toward signing rookies. The team also wants to keep some money in case another team cuts a player this summer the Dolphins want.
The Dolphins are talking with Green's representatives and, a source said, the two sides are "in the same ballpark" and the deal is "still likely" to get done.

Man the more I read about this trade, the more sceptical I am... I DO believe that Green would be a better fit in our offense, however that isn't my issue... MY concern is that GREEN comes here with a deal that says he starts... I think that would be a bad idea. I think CLEO showed enough to at least challenge for the starting position...

I never liked the trade for DC either... I argued to lengths with people on this board about it... I was very concerned about his knee injury and how it would affect his game. I had always identified him being a scrambler and the injuries that he sustained on that knee told me to stay away from him...

But that is history and I am again waving a flag on this trade only if Green is to come here to be the starter... The reason I say this is due to the line he had in KC... It is far better than we have had the past couple of years. Green's numbers are based on time... IF he has time he will pound any "D"... But being under constant pressure with a weak line, I think the guy will fold...

Just my opinion though...

Back
Top Bottom