Miami Still Has Endless Options To Upgrade The Offensive Line | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Still Has Endless Options To Upgrade The Offensive Line

Phillip Rivers hasn't had the type of HOF oline RT17 needs...neither does Russell Wilson. Deshawn Watson can be added to that list.

It helps, but if you are a QB that can be labeled "franchise" you at least have a .500 record. Can that QB drop back 30 times and give me 2 TDs a game...penciled in.

Do I ever feel comfy with this QB behind center with something on the line?

Did you?

See, now this is rational discussion. Thanks.

And yes, I did. It appeared in 2016 that he was becoming that guy. The Rams game in particular made me confident that he was about to take the next step. He never did, and it sucks.

BUT

Your comparisons are actually pretty relevant to the conversation at hand. You won't find me arguing against Russell Wilson, but he's certainly had a hell of a running game and consistency in the FO in his career. As much as what he does is fantastic, they don't rely on him to do it alone. The Seahawks led the league in rushing percentage last year...by a wide margin.

The other two? Philip Rivers might be the poster child for a QB who should absolutely, positively be viewed as an elite QB, but isn't in some circles. And I think most people would agree that one of the major reasons he isn't? Is because he's had an absolute **** offensive line for most of his career.

He has a sub-500 career in the playoffs. He's led the league in interceptions two out of the last five years. You know where his offensive line ranked in those two years? 29th and 32nd. The three seasons his team has had losing records in the regular season? He was sacked 49, 40, and 36 times...the most in his career. And I like Rivers. But he can't do it by himself, and when his line sucks? It *affects* him. And he doesn't overcome it. The only time he's advanced more than one game in the playoffs? 2007, when he was only sacked 22 times. You look at his stat lines? Average. He had a decent line, and Tomlinson running the ball.

Deshaun Watson? Like him, and another pretty good comparison. A lot of people would try to point to the 2014 Tannehill season as a comparison to the 2018 Watson season in individual performance (it wasn't as good, but it was close), but the one that mirrors it to me is the 2013 season. Sophomore season, and Tannehill got the ever-loving holy **** beaten out of him. So did Watson last year. And no, I don't think that Tannehill has ever shown quite the ceiling that Watson has, but it's not going to matter if they don't start protecting him. The major difference between those two TEAMS? Houston could run the ball and stop the run. Miami couldn't do either.

And what happened to Watson in the playoffs? He was running for his life, he had no protection, the Texans couldn't run, couldn't stop the run, kept getting put in third-and-long situations, and couldn't convert. The Texans were 3-13 on third down, and they got smoked. Sound familiar?

The point of this isn't that I think Tannehill was a better QB than either of them. I don't. But you're arguing that Tannehill's offensive line play shouldn't be considered in his career...that he should have somehow elevated above that, no matter WHAT. That's just crazy. Rivers and Watson are pretty decent examples that you can't win on a regular basis all by yourself. It's not "making excuses." It is what it is. People may very well look at Rivers after his career is done and say "Hell, stop making excuses for the guy. He couldn't get the job done." And that's bull****. Football is the ultimate team sport. Nobody should pretend that Tannehill wasn't flawed, or that he would have been the best QB in the game with a great line. But nobody should pretend that he was set up to succeed, either. He wasn't. He was put in some of the worst situations possible, and his O-Line was a big part of that. He simply wasn't good enough to overcome all of that. Oh well, let's move on to the next Fins QB, and hope this FO isn't the complete cluster that the previous two were.

And not to get off the beaten path too far, but there's another guy in Indy who's had his career pretty drastically affected by poor O-Line play. And if they don't get it together soon, they might be having that exact same conversation about HIM in a few years.

Last edited:
See, now this is rational discussion. Thanks.

And yes, I did. It appeared in 2016 that he was becoming that guy. The Rams game in particular made me confident that he was about to take the next step. He never did, and it sucks.

BUT

Your comparisons are actually pretty relevant to the conversation at hand. You won't find me arguing against Russell Wilson, but he's certainly had a hell of a running game and consistency in the FO in his career. As much as what he does is fantastic, they don't rely on him to do it alone. The Seahawks led the league in rushing percentage last year...by a wide margin.

The other two? Philip Rivers might be the poster child for a QB who should absolutely, positively be viewed as an elite QB, but isn't in some circles. And I think most people would agree that one of the major reasons he isn't? Is because he's had an absolute **** offensive line for most of his career.

He has a sub-500 career in the playoffs. He's led the league in interceptions two out of the last five years. You know where his offensive line ranked in those two years? 29th and 32nd. The three seasons his team has had losing records in the regular season? He was sacked 49, 40, and 36 times...the most in his career. And I like Rivers. But he can't do it by himself, and when his line sucks? It *affects* him. And he doesn't overcome it. The only time he's advanced more than one game in the playoffs? 2007, when he was only sacked 22 times. You look at his stat lines? Average. He had a decent line, and Tomlinson running the ball.

Deshaun Watson? Like him, and another pretty good comparison. A lot of people would try to point to the 2014 Tannehill season as a comparison to the 2018 Watson season in individual performance (it wasn't as good, but it was close), but the one that mirrors it to me is the 2013 season. Sophomore season, and Tannehill got the ever-loving holy **** beaten out of him. So did Watson last year. And no, I don't think that Tannehill has ever shown quite the ceiling that Watson has, but it's not going to matter if they don't start protecting him. The major difference between those two TEAMS? Houston could run the ball and stop the run. Miami couldn't do either.

And what happened to Watson in the playoffs? He was running for his life, he had no protection, the Texans couldn't run, couldn't stop the run, kept getting put in third-and-long situations, and couldn't convert. The Texans were 3-13 on third down, and they got smoked. Sound familiar?

The point of this isn't that I think Tannehill was a better QB than either of them. I don't. But you're arguing that Tannehill's offensive line play shouldn't be considered in his career...that he should have somehow elevated above that, no matter WHAT. That's just crazy. Rivers and Watson are pretty decent examples that you can't win on a regular basis all by yourself. It's not "making excuses." It is what it is. People may very well look at Rivers after his career is done and say "Hell, stop making excuses for the guy. He couldn't get the job done." And that's bull****. Football is the ultimate team sport. Nobody should pretend that Tannehill wasn't flawed, or that he would have been the best QB in the game with a great line. But nobody should pretend that he was set up to succeed, either. He wasn't. He was put in some of the worst situations possible, and his O-Line was a big part of that. He simply wasn't good enough to overcome all of that. Oh well, let's move on to the next Fins QB, and hope this FO isn't the complete cluster that the previous two were.

And not to get off the beaten path too far, but there's another guy in Indy who's had his career pretty drastically affected by poor O-Line play. And if they don't get it together soon, they might be having that exact same conversation about HIM in a few years.

Man, I'm not reading all this.

Let Lurking give the Cliff Notes since he did.

Man, I'm not reading all this.

Let Lurking give the Cliff Notes since he did.

giphy.gif

Other than Tunsil we sure don't have much quality starters on the oline right now. I'd like to see us get some maulers inside at the guard spots so we can pound the rock and use the play action for the deep ball with our speed at wr. Grant, Wilson, Stills can fly and Fitzpatrick has a nice deep ball.

It should not surprise anyone 3 spots are filled - Tunsil, Kilgore, Davis. Not locked in, but I wouldn't be surprised in September
Well there's always a depth chart … but that's not exactly the same thing as finding a long-term solution for the OL, right?

My guess is that you're right, Tunsil at LT, Kilgore at C, and Davis at RT are penciled in as the top of the depth chart … but I fully expect that we're looking to upgrade both Kilgore and Davis, not just push them. I'd also imagine that given our current roster, we're penciling in Dunn at RG … but we're likely looking to upgrade everything but LT, and we're always looking for guys who can play swing OT as backup LT's as well.

It is what it is. I'm still hoping we shuttle through a lot of candidates in hopes of finding some upgrades. I anticipate 2 draftees to be OL, and several more UDFA's before it's all done.

I still prefer the drop-back passers that only scramble's if he's forced to and lets a good offensive line do there job and create a pocket for him to throw the ball from the quicker he reads and fires the better, couple that with a big beefy offensive line and an inside run game. You need a good to great offensive line for that to work. Spend top picks in 2019 and 2020 on the offensive line.

I'm more sold on the guy coming out in 2021he has superstar written all over him than any coming out in 2020, you want to win multiple championship he is the guy that's has the best chance.

Build, build and build some more, move as many assets as you can from 2020 to 2021, I'm not saying don't get a QB in 2020 just find one that won't win 1 game.

That's how the Dolphins become relevant again - patience is a virtue and most Dolphin fans just don't have any

Well there's always a depth chart … but that's not exactly the same thing as finding a long-term solution for the OL, right?

My guess is that you're right, Tunsil at LT, Kilgore at C, and Davis at RT are penciled in as the top of the depth chart … but I fully expect that we're looking to upgrade both Kilgore and Davis, not just push them. I'd also imagine that given our current roster, we're penciling in Dunn at RG … but we're likely looking to upgrade everything but LT, and we're always looking for guys who can play swing OT as backup LT's as well.

It is what it is. I'm still hoping we shuttle through a lot of candidates in hopes of finding some upgrades. I anticipate 2 draftees to be OL, and several more UDFA's before it's all done.

Agree, but I'm not in the 'need 4 OLmen' camp. Do I want upgrades? Sure.

agree that there are reasonable options out there ... but doubt we take any of those until after 01 MAY (draft and UDFA focus).

think we'll dip into this pool for at least 1x option ...

When something was on the line Tannehill failed us way more often than not. There is NO arguing that point. The brighter the lights the more he wilted and choked. I was a huge fan pre-injury. He was never the same after he got hurt the first time. The coaching on the offensive side of the ball was amazingly horrible considering Gase was supposed to be some offensive genius. He wasn't even a decent OC for Miami as a HC!

Agree, but I'm not in the 'need 4 OLmen' camp. Do I want upgrades? Sure.
This is going to be a big turnover year, and everyone in the NFL realizes that. This means we'll bring in a lot of players, and for unsettled positions like OL, get a log of good UDFA prospects as well. So, don't be surprised if we sift through a lot of prospects quickly this preseason. I'm guessing that we draft 2, and bring in 7 or 8 prospects total--maybe more--at OL looking for a gem or two. Many of them will be low end prospects like raw UDFA prospects or waiver wire guys but people see opportunity here, and we're open for roster turnover as every new coaching staff is. So, we'll get to look at a lot of those prospects, I think.

This is going to be a big turnover year, and everyone in the NFL realizes that. This means we'll bring in a lot of players, and for unsettled positions like OL, get a log of good UDFA prospects as well. So, don't be surprised if we sift through a lot of prospects quickly this preseason. I'm guessing that we draft 2, and bring in 7 or 8 prospects total--maybe more--at OL looking for a gem or two. Many of them will be low end prospects like raw UDFA prospects or waiver wire guys but people see opportunity here, and we're open for roster turnover as every new coaching staff is. So, we'll get to look at a lot of those prospects, I think.

You're right. But, at a minimum I think Tunsil, Kilgore, and Davis can be penciled in. Miami doesn't HAVE to find 4 OLmen

Pathetic

It’s not even THAT long of a post
Travjs34, get off my jock...

I dont even speak to you so you can save your "pathetics" for whatever like tribe you are banging your drums for...

Pathetic is how you seem to want to bait me into saying something that you can complain to the moderator about.

Back
Top Bottom